Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 03:59 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times

Advertisements

Bigstick is a pretty awful poster. He is a super Atlanta-booster who just dismisses anyone who says one negative about Atlanta and the best of it all: He doesn't even live in Atlanta...he lives in Chattanooga. I'd ignore him.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:05 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Boy, bye! Addressing issues that ain't there. He said he wasn't going to say what Ant said and that was essentially that there are prettier MSA's than Atlanta.

When did I say that he said something negative?

Have a seat _/ <--- you look foolish doing too much.
Aight.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:14 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
...okay. To be honest, I don't see very much Atlanta bashing going on at all. Not nearly as much as the Texas cities receive. However, what I have noticed is that many Atlanta posters don't seem to respect that everyone doesn't feel the way they do about their city. A lot of us never say anything unfair about the city, but if we aren't praising everything about it, we're being called haters.
No bashing in this thread. But it goes on in other threads and those people will be in here soon enough. That is if JMT doesn't close this thread.

And yet you were the only implying that it's ok for folks to be fake in Miami based on my original post on my biggest gripe about Miami... But in that same breath turned right around and said that Atlanta is full of pseudo-educated people when #fact Atlanta is one of the top educated cities in the country; but you're not bashing.

I can read your shade, and I read it well. The problem is that I don't care to try and change your mind.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:48 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
I'll say that at the peak of spring, when all the trees and flowers are at full bloom, Atlanta is pretty hard to beat, IMO.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:59 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
No bashing in this thread. But it goes on in other threads and those people will be in here soon enough. That is if JMT doesn't close this thread.

And yet you were the only implying that it's ok for folks to be fake in Miami based on my original post on my biggest gripe about Miami... But in that same breath turned right around and said that Atlanta is full of pseudo-educated people when #fact Atlanta is one of the top educated cities in the country; but you're not bashing.

I can read your shade, and I read it well. The problem is that I don't care to try and change your mind.
I think the problem is that you were looking for shade instead of reading what I actually wrote. Complaining about the pseudo-educated does not imply that the metro itself is not well educated. It's saying that I found a lot of people who weren't that worldly or educated but liked to pretend they were. Two completely different statements. Also, you should you realize that getting a degree doesn't necessarily make one bright. I've met COUNTLESS college grads who could hardly spell. There are also plenty of intelligent people out there with nothing but a HS diploma.

Fake people are fake everywhere. I never granted a pass to Miami here.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:03 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNKNE-ADJ View Post
I feel like I'm uniquely qualified to answer this question. I'm not a southerner but my sales territory is the southeast...so I've had a wonderful opportunity over the last few years to travel the southeast EXTENSIVELY. So...here's my abbreviated list of gems and duds.

***Disclaimer*** This is obviously very subjective and based solely on MY experiences in these cities. It isn't my intent to offend by any stretch. I'm sure that all cities have awesome parts...I'm just basing my opinion on the experiences that I have had in each of these cities.

Overrated: Atlanta. I'm sorry...I know this will probably get me throttled on here but I just wasn't impressed with it. It's an average, run-of-the-mill, mid-large city. It has museums, pro sports, a fairly large skyline, and nice weather...it just didn't strike me as overtly remarkable. But...I'll be in Atlanta next week...So I'll maybe pay closer attention to it next time.

Overrated: Nashville. This could be a by-product of the people that hyped it up for me. I was told wonderous fables of the great night-life. I thought it was meh. A few colleagues took me to some bars downtown and then some restaurants where they live in Franklin and it was nice....but again....nothing that grabbed me as being really great.

Underrated: Asheville. The views and local scenery are absolutely stunning. The local food and breweries were all great. The Orange Peel is a great venue with awesome acoustics and the crowds were fun-loving and happy to be there. The city just had a great vibe.

Underrated: Williamsburg/Newport News. My initial ideas were as follows: history, old buildings, revolutionary war, battlefields...blah blah blah. Well, I was wrong. The areas around the northern section of Hampton Roads were beautiful. I had pretty bad conceptions of the history but Colonial Williamsburg and Yorktown's battlefields were quite fun to check out. I had the opportunity to go sailing twice and we played golf at some great courses. I was very impressed with my trips there.

Underrated: Tallahassee. Food, people, bars, and the love of FSU football was fun and contagious. Great fun in Tallahassee.

Overrated: Orlando. The most magical place in the world? Nope.

Underrated: Jacksonville. Wonderful golf courses and beaches. The scenery was amazing and you're just a quick drive to St. Augustine which was a treat all by itself.

Underrated: Lafayette, LA. I had a hell of a time in Lafayette. I was driven by a friend to Breaux Bridge for a crawfish festival and it was awesome. We also hit a lot of local restaurants in the city itself and I literally had no bad meals there. On top of that...the bayous of southern LA were so unique and fun to experience.

Overrated: Richmond, VA. The Fan is a nice area because of the restaurants and museums but for the most part the city just seemed dirty and unsafe.

Underrated: Ok...give me some latitude on this one. I'm not sure if most people consider West Virginia in the South but I really like Charleston, WV. Literally the entire city is split on the Kanawha River and the Appalachian Mountains roll through the entire city creating a beautiful dynamic. There's not a ton to do in Charleston but the natural beauty is pretty impressive and they have a ton of outdoorsy type things to get into.
Out of curiosity, what all did you do and where all did you go in Atlanta and Richmond? I don't think I've ever heard Richmond called overrated ever. As far as Jacksonville goes, I don't consider it to be either overrated or underrated, but it is a bit underwhelming given its natural advantages and urban fabric. I couldn't believe how dead its downtown was on a Saturday night when I was last there three years ago.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 04-11-2014 at 05:18 PM..

Old 04-11-2014, 05:13 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I think the problem is that you were looking for shade instead of reading what I actually wrote. Complaining about the pseudo-educated does not imply that the metro itself is not well educated. It's saying that I found a lot of people who weren't that worldly or educated but liked to pretend they were. Two completely different statements. Also, you should you realize that getting a degree doesn't necessarily make one bright. I've met COUNTLESS college grads who could hardly spell. There are also plenty of intelligent people out there with nothing but a HS diploma.

Fake people are fake everywhere. I never granted a pass to Miami here.
Let me walk into a gay bar and say: wow there are a lot of pseudo-gay people in here and then after making the comment try and back pedal. It doesn't work that way.

On the other hand, having a degree doesn't make you educated, I agree. But don't seemingly discredit one city (Atlanta) while giving a nod to the other (D.C.)

And you did say that Miami earned the right to be flashy coming off the heels of my comment about a 5th ER physican driving an Aston Martin, which is absurd and screams pretentious. Not to mention, he's going broke because he wasn't established enough to afford a $150k vehicle. Whether it be Atlanta or Miami, living beyond your means is fake and aggravating as hell.

Now if I misinterpreted what you were "trying" to say, you now realize why.

And as far as shade, you're the queen of shade throwing on City Data. I'm not mad at all, just don't try to push it off as honest posting.

Last edited by isawooty; 04-11-2014 at 05:43 PM..

Old 04-11-2014, 05:23 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Miami is the home of the killers. Most gangsta city in the South. Hardest city in the South.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:25 PM

437 posts, read 547,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNKNE-ADJ View Post
I feel like I'm uniquely qualified to answer this question. I'm not a southerner but my sales territory is the southeast...so I've had a wonderful opportunity over the last few years to travel the southeast EXTENSIVELY. So...here's my abbreviated list of gems and duds.

***Disclaimer*** This is obviously very subjective and based solely on MY experiences in these cities. It isn't my intent to offend by any stretch. I'm sure that all cities have awesome parts...I'm just basing my opinion on the experiences that I have had in each of these cities.

Overrated: Atlanta. I'm sorry...I know this will probably get me throttled on here but I just wasn't impressed with it. It's an average, run-of-the-mill, mid-large city. It has museums, pro sports, a fairly large skyline, and nice weather...it just didn't strike me as overtly remarkable. But...I'll be in Atlanta next week...So I'll maybe pay closer attention to it next time.

Overrated: Nashville. This could be a by-product of the people that hyped it up for me. I was told wonderous fables of the great night-life. I thought it was meh. A few colleagues took me to some bars downtown and then some restaurants where they live in Franklin and it was nice....but again....nothing that grabbed me as being really great.

Underrated: Asheville. The views and local scenery are absolutely stunning. The local food and breweries were all great. The Orange Peel is a great venue with awesome acoustics and the crowds were fun-loving and happy to be there. The city just had a great vibe.

Underrated: Williamsburg/Newport News. My initial ideas were as follows: history, old buildings, revolutionary war, battlefields...blah blah blah. Well, I was wrong. The areas around the northern section of Hampton Roads were beautiful. I had pretty bad conceptions of the history but Colonial Williamsburg and Yorktown's battlefields were quite fun to check out. I had the opportunity to go sailing twice and we played golf at some great courses. I was very impressed with my trips there.

Underrated: Tallahassee. Food, people, bars, and the love of FSU football was fun and contagious. Great fun in Tallahassee.

Overrated: Orlando. The most magical place in the world? Nope.

Underrated: Jacksonville. Wonderful golf courses and beaches. The scenery was amazing and you're just a quick drive to St. Augustine which was a treat all by itself.

Underrated: Lafayette, LA. I had a hell of a time in Lafayette. I was driven by a friend to Breaux Bridge for a crawfish festival and it was awesome. We also hit a lot of local restaurants in the city itself and I literally had no bad meals there. On top of that...the bayous of southern LA were so unique and fun to experience.

Overrated: Richmond, VA. The Fan is a nice area because of the restaurants and museums but for the most part the city just seemed dirty and unsafe.

Underrated: Ok...give me some latitude on this one. I'm not sure if most people consider West Virginia in the South but I really like Charleston, WV. Literally the entire city is split on the Kanawha River and the Appalachian Mountains roll through the entire city creating a beautiful dynamic. There's not a ton to do in Charleston but the natural beauty is pretty impressive and they have a ton of outdoorsy type things to get into.

Lafayette really? I always assumed it would be another crime filled little city like baton rouge but you're not the first person I've seen on these boards talking about how nice it is

Old 04-11-2014, 05:27 PM

437 posts, read 547,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yes Cocaine runs the economy. Stay out, unless you want to die. Florida isn't for the weak, or those who are easily scared of thugs, and killers. Best stay in Atlanta.
I know people in Florida seem more crazy than anywhere in America by far but is it really that bad state wide or are you just talking about palm beach, broward, and dade?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City