Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 12:43 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,925,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas gunslinger View Post
I'm from north Texas and never knew Dallas had an art district until now. Why do we even have one? With a bunch of amusement parks, Glenn rose, Turner falls, a lot of home professional sports teams, fort worth stockyards, etc, point being so Many attractions there's really no time to sit and look at art
Sounds like you need to be more cultured. Those museums feature artwork that's part of who we are and they are a connection past and present to the rest of the world.

And you must not be from North Texas to NOT know that both Dallas and Fort Worth have arts districts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 12:49 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,771,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Sounds like you need to be more cultured. Those museums feature artwork that's part of who we are and they are a connection past and present to the rest of the world.

And you must not be from North Texas to NOT know that both Dallas and Fort Worth have arts districts...
And in my opinion, the Fort Worth one offers more even if the Dallas one is better connected. Fort Worth just seems like a city thats more interested in fine culture and its history. Dallas is a more multicultural city (ie more diverse with more ethnicities), but seems more focused on partying, nightlife, shopping, and eating than fine culture.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:01 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,869,489 times
It's hard to believe anyone could criticize the Museum District. It's so beautiful. Walking around the Museum District is so peaceful and having Hermann Park, Zoo, Rice University, and the Main Street Rail Line there makes it a pretty cohesive district for tourists.

The Dallas Arts District sounds pretty cool and I hope I get to go one day. I really have nothing negative to say about it as the descriptions sound very cool. Different from the one in Houston but equally impressive.

The Museum District in Houston is the only place I really recommend to tourist to go here in Houston because it doesn't require a car to move around because walking it is part of the enjoyment. Especially on a beautiful Spring or Fall day.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:09 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,354,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
The Museum District in Houston is the only place I really recommend to tourist to go here in Houston because it doesn't require a car to move around because walking it is part of the enjoyment. Especially on a beautiful Spring or Fall day.
Like today. It feels great outside. Even better to go on art tours, to me, is a cloudy and drizzly day. I love it.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:07 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Like today. It feels great outside. Even better to go on art tours, to me, is a cloudy and drizzly day. I love it.
Yeah it does. It's spring break right now and it's in the upper 60's. Perfect time to go.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:12 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
And in my opinion, the Fort Worth one offers more even if the Dallas one is better connected. Fort Worth just seems like a city thats more interested in fine culture and its history. Dallas is a more multicultural city (ie more diverse with more ethnicities), but seems more focused on partying, nightlife, shopping, and eating than fine culture.
Fort Worth: City of Cowboys and Culture.

The city didn't come up with that motto for nothing...

Old 03-12-2014, 04:23 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,462,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
If planned districts are your thing, knock yourself out. I just don't see the appeal. New York City and San Francisco don't have planned arts districts either (though, like Houston, they do have official theater districts), so what exactly is this supposed advantage that we're missing out on?

I could understand this argument if Houston's art venues were located in a dull, highly suburban, unwalkable area with nothing going on, but that isn't the case.
How can A district not be planned???...NY and San Franciscos districts are more urban like Dallas' not Houstons. All distircts are planned..You have to plan to build streets and infrastructure...all of the museums had to be planned before built...right?...Im pretty sure the developers knew where the would build the museums before they broke ground right???...Somebody had to plan to call it the Museum district. Dallas arts district didnt just happen overnight like yall are discrediting it with...It took 30 years to get where we are now. And all of the buildings were not all built at the same time. Dallas is just never good enuff at nothing even if people think otherwise. We are just not built to be good at anything. We do everything wrong and if we do sometghing right trust and believe someone would find whats wrong and only talk about that. Dallas will never be judged fairly....NEVER!

Old 03-12-2014, 04:36 PM

6,711 posts, read 9,964,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
How can A district not be planned???...NY and San Franciscos districts are more urban like Dallas' not Houstons. All distircts are planned..You have to plan to build streets and infrastructure...all of the museums had to be planned before built...right?...Im pretty sure the developers knew where the would build the museums before they broke ground right???...Somebody had to plan to call it the Museum district. Dallas arts district didnt just happen overnight like yall are discrediting it with...It took 30 years to get where we are now. And all of the buildings were not all built at the same time. Dallas is just never good enuff at nothing even if people think otherwise. We are just not built to be good at anything. We do everything wrong and if we do sometghing right trust and believe someone would find whats wrong and only talk about that. Dallas will never be judged fairly....NEVER!
Heck, even Lincoln Center was planned!

Old 03-12-2014, 05:03 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,354,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Like I said earlier, Houston's Theater District is more comparable to such a setup. Our Museum District is completely different.

Other posters were the ones suggesting Dallas' district was more interesting because of the aesthetics and more heavy handed planning. They also were overstating the urbanity of the DAD and understating the urbanity and cohesiveness of Montrose/Museum District. Don't point the finger this way when you can't see the problem with what was being said about Houston.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:10 PM

632 posts, read 933,908 times
Castleberry Hill could be considered a mini arts district in Atlanta. There several galleries and they at least used to have a regular arts stroll in the summer. Also, no one has mentioned the National Black Arts Festival that occurs in Atlanta every other year. It's not a district per se, but still involves a several-week exposition all over town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City