Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 11:33 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I would say where you pulled these ideas from, but I'd receive an infraction for doing so. I'm convinced you've never truly experienced the Museum District. The walk from the Menil to MFAH is just barely over a mile and doesn't even take 30 minutes. You call it a "trek" but most people enjoy the pleasant stroll. On top of that, you have a great selection of restaurants and cafes along the way, should you decide to stop. After you leave the museum, you can hop on METRO rail and be in the Theater District within 20 minutes.
I said the trek is a mile long and you bark back that I'm lying, its really a little over a mile? That trek sucks when its super hot and humid, or raining. Yes there are restaurants around in Montrose but between Max and Julia, the Churascaria (if it's still there), and the Thai place its pretty pricey for an afternoon lunch.

And seriously quit flipping out at all my posts. I never denied that Houston has the better art exhibits and the more world class arts scene but only that you'd have to drive around to experience the whole thing. Going from the museum district to the back end of university of st Thomas is a bit of a trek in Houston. I never said it was like Moses wandering in the desert for forty years but a good mile long trek. There isn't even that much to see besides a restaurant and a few cafés. Heck, even cafe artise (if its still there) is a bit of a ways away from the Menil.

So chill out and stop accusing people of never going to the museum district just cus they didn't find it as urban or connected as other districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 11:50 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I said the trek is a mile long and you bark back that I'm lying, its really a little over a mile? That trek sucks when its super hot and humid, or raining. Yes there are restaurants around in Montrose but between Max and Julia, the Churascaria (if it's still there), and the Thai place its pretty pricey for an afternoon lunch.

And seriously quit flipping out at all my posts. I never denied that Houston has the better art exhibits and the more world class arts scene but only that you'd have to drive around to experience the whole thing. Going from the museum district to the back end of university of st Thomas is a bit of a trek in Houston. I never said it was like Moses wandering in the desert for forty years but a good mile long trek. There isn't even that much to see besides a restaurant and a few cafés. Heck, even cafe artise (if its still there) is a bit of a ways away from the Menil.

So chill out and stop accusing people of never going to the museum district just cus they didn't find it as urban or connected as other districts.
You said two miles. I'm not attacking you, but I'm simply challenging your statements. I've made that walk before. I, and most people I've spoken to it about, seemed to enjoy it. Maybe it's too much for you but you don't speak for everyone.

Cafe Artiste was right next to the Menil. Do you have any clue what you're talking about?

On several occasions, you've accused me of being a homer for simply disagreeing with you. Just earlier in this thread you called me delusional. I haven't called you any names, so who exactly is it that's flipping out?

Old 03-14-2014, 12:45 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Its silly how Houston has such potential but it's wasting it trying to be Dallas 2.0.
If I hear one more Dallasite/Dallas supporter say this, I'm going to lose it.

How is Houston trying to be Dallas? If that's the case, Houston would have given its skyline all the glitzy, cheesy lighting that Dallas has been sporting for years. Houston would have built a mini subway segment like Dallas. Just because Dallas has done a few things first, like urban renewal, does not mean that Houston is trying to be like Dallas.

As I said in my last reply to the last person that made a similar ignorant statement, Was Dallas trying to be like Houston when it built Klyde Warren after Discovery Green? Built the Dallas galleria after the original Houston Galleria? Built the Texas stadium after the astrodome? Built the new Cowboys stadium with a retractable roof like how Reliant built their retractable roof stadium first? Furthermore, was Dallas trying to be like every other city when they built that subway segment, built the new Trinity Arch bridges with a similar St. Louis Arch and suspension bridges like what you'd find in Pittsburg, SF, and Brooklyn bridges? Is Dallas trying to be like every other city that's started urban renewal in their cores like: Denver, Seattle, Chicago, Atlanta, and many others?

Let's not go there buddy.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post

How is Houston trying to be Dallas? If that's the case, Houston would have given its skyline all the glitzy, cheesy lighting that Dallas has been sporting for years. Houston would have built a mini subway segment like Dallas. Just because Dallas has done a few things first, like urban renewal, does not mean that Houston is trying to be like Dallas.

As I said in my last reply to the last person that made a similar ignorant statement, Was Dallas trying to be like Houston when it built Klyde Warren after Discovery Green? Built the Dallas galleria after the original Houston Galleria? Built the Texas stadium after the astrodome? Built the new Cowboys stadium with a retractable roof like how Reliant built their retractable roof stadium first? Furthermore, was Dallas trying to be like every other city when they built that subway segment, built the new Trinity Arch bridges with a similar St. Louis Arch and suspension bridges like what you'd find in Pittsburg, SF, and Brooklyn bridges? Is Dallas trying to be like every other city that's started urban renewal in their cores like: Denver, Seattle, Chicago, Atlanta, and many others?

Yes, let's not. Since there's clearly a better case for Houston building itself up as an individual. I do love Dallas, but let's be honest about things. The city isn't known for its unique or groundbreaking ideas.

Houston does have a slew of its own embarrassing problems, though, and I won't pretend that it doesn't.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:11 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,306,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
If planned districts are your thing, knock yourself out. I just don't see the appeal. New York City and San Francisco don't have planned arts districts either (though, like Houston, they do have official theater districts), so what exactly is this supposed advantage that we're missing out on?

I could understand this argument if Houston's art venues were located in a dull, highly suburban, unwalkable area with nothing going on, but that isn't the case.
Umm... Lincoln Center in NYC was very much planned.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:46 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,306,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
Castleberry Hill could be considered a mini arts district in Atlanta. There several galleries and they at least used to have a regular arts stroll in the summer. Also, no one has mentioned the National Black Arts Festival that occurs in Atlanta every other year. It's not a district per se, but still involves a several-week exposition all over town.
I think art gallery districts are different than what's being discussed. The Design District in Dallas is very cool with art galleries on Dragon Street and antique stores lining Slocum Street. Apartments, trendy restaurants and high end furniture stores. The Dallas Contemporary Museum and the Dallas Design Center are in this neighborhood as well. The city is investing a lot of money into Riverfront Blvd through this area to connect it better to the Dallas Market Center and the Continental Pedestrian Bridge Park .

The Dallas Design District
Dallas Design District | Daily Blog

Dragon Street
Dragon Street Association

Slocum Street
About Us

Dallas Contemporary
http://vimeo.com/84428498
dallas contemporary

Dallas Design Center
Dallas Design Center | Dallas Design District | Dallas, Texas

Trinity Strand Trail (Connection through Design District to the Katy Trail)
Trinity Strand Trail

Continental Bridge Park (Under Construction)
Continental Avenue Bridge

Connecting to the Design District:

Dallas Market Center
Dallas Market Center - The world's most complete wholesale marketplace

Last edited by R1070; 03-15-2014 at 10:55 AM..

Old 03-15-2014, 11:12 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post

Don't let these trolls get you down stoneclaw....we all dont think that.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Umm... Lincoln Center in NYC was very much planned.
That's a performing arts complex. Not exactly the same thing. I'm speaking of official districts which are the main location for a city's arts venues. Dallas has that. New York, San Francisco, and Houston don't.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:30 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Don't let these trolls get you down stoneclaw....we all dont think that.
It's trollish to get upset when Houston is not necessarily developing into something altogether unique? But something altogether similar to the mixed use town centre stuff?

Why is it Dallas boosting and why is it Houston bashing? I see Houston as having the most potential of any city in the country to be utterly unique and world class. Is that bashing it or am I allowed to have that opinion even if you think its wrong?

If anything the Houston super boosters get a bit too sensitive about their city.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:16 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,359,434 times
I'm from Houston, lived in Atlanta and live in Dallas now. I'm leaning toward Houston's overall music/arts scene. Nationally, it has more recognition due to a longer history of excellence. However, Dallas, in the last five years has done more than any metro in the South, spending over close over $450Million on five new venues. And you can't forget neighboring Fort Worth. They just a major expansion of the Kimball Art Museum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City