Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most rapidly urbanizing?
DC 48 44.04%
LA 30 27.52%
Seattle 24 22.02%
Other 7 6.42%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 02:31 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I can't tell the difference from two short videos of systems I have never been on, they probably aren't huge. The real difference is how much grade-separation the lines have, that is really what differentiates what is a tram/streetcar and what is LRT to me.
But European lines usually have more grade separation than American lines. That doesn't stop people from calling them tramways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
It looks like they use different vehicles though, that is for sure. Looks like with the LYNX car you need to walk up stairs after boarding (similar to how it was on the Green Line in Boston, if recall correctly). The Paris cars look different with lower boarding but it looks like the floor of the cars is very low too, so you don't need to step up into the car.
Nope. Go back and watch the video. The people boarding the Lynx weren't walking up stairs. Here's another video. Fast forward to 2:51 when the kids board.

A Ride on Charlotte's Blue Line: I-485 to 7th Street in Uptown - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 02:34 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But European lines usually have more grade separation than American lines. That doesn't stop people from calling them tramways.

Nope. Go back and watch the video. The people boarding the Lynx weren't walking up stairs. Here's another video. Fast forward to 2:51 when the kids board.

A Ride on Charlotte's Blue Line: I-485 to 7th Street in Uptown - YouTube
Yeah you are right, looks very similar to the Metro LRT system.

I guess I just have never heard anyone call them trams in the United States, that is why it sounds strange to me. I guess I sort of associate Trams more with street-running mixed traffic streetcars.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:38 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times
Quote:
How is it any different from this?

Trams in Paris - 2, 3a - YouTube

Besides, the APTA glossary says that tramways can have high platform boarding.
Human Transit: streetcars vs light rail ... is there a difference?

Usually trams/street-cars are primarily on surface street routes, while light-rail will have more separate grade and offstreet routes. Of course there's light-rail lines that have more on street routes that basically function as street cars just as what are called "trams" in parts of Europe sometimes have their own separated right-of-ways and might be called light-rail in the states.

So it's basically just a set of names applied to similar forms of mass transit. In general though in the States, it's usually that street-cars(or trolleys) are smaller and have more local access routes(and are fairly slow) and basically just serve as local bus routes, while light rail will have routes for longer commuting to suburbs or trips to the airport on grade separated and off-street routes. But yes, often the names are based on a less-clear set of distinctions.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:39 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:

You know what would have been interesting for this article? If they had mentioned all the projects under construction and breaking ground this year in NOMA despite the so called high vacancy rate. There will be 6 new residential high-rise buildings in the 250-400 unit range under construction at some point in 2014 in NOMA not including those under construction despite the Washington Post claiming the sub market has a high vacancy rate.

1. Storey Park
2. Camden NOMA Phase II (sheeting and shoring issued)
3. Avalon (formerly Archstone) Phase II (sheeting and Shoring issued)
4. Capitol Point
5. Union Market Residence
6. Gateway Market Center

Old 03-12-2014, 02:40 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
Why is that? MBTA designates the Silver Line a "subway" as Deezus pointed out. A car obviously would not qualify because it's not mass transit.
They do? I thought the silver line was always considered Bus-Rapid Transit. You have to draw the line somewhere. If not, than it is opened up for other modes of transportation that have no business being called a subway.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post

Usually trams/street-cars are primarily on surface street routes, while light-rail will have more separate grade and offstreet routes. Of course there's light-rail lines that have more on street routes that basically function as street cars just as what are called "trams" in parts of Europe sometimes have their own separated right-of-ways and might be called light-rail in the states.

So it's basically just a set of names applied to similar forms of mass transit. In general though in the States, it's usually that street-cars(or trolleys) are smaller and have more local access routes(and are fairly slow) and basically just serve as local bus routes, while light rail will have routes for longer commuting to suburbs or trips to the airport on grade separated and off-street routes. But yes, often the names are based on a less-clear set of distinctions.
When I think of a tram, I think of what they have in Paris. When I think of a streetcar, I think of what they're building in DC.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:44 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post

Interesting article, and basically nails down my notion of LRT vs Streetcars.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:47 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
When I think of a tram, I think of what they have in Paris. When I think of a streetcar, I think of what they're building in DC.
Even street cars are getting designated lanes sometimes. DC is trying to do it on Georgia Ave up to the Walter Reed development.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
They do? I thought the silver line was always considered Bus-Rapid Transit. You have to draw the line somewhere. If not, than it is opened up for other modes of transportation that have no business being called a subway.
There aren't too many other modes of public transportation to open it up to. If it runs underground, then why not call it a subway? You can't say that capacity now matters all of a sudden.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:49 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
On a side note, after 10 years of planning, this breaksground next week March 19th and the street car line going by the Wharf has been fast tracked.

Long time coming:

Wharf Video v17 102612 - YouTube

It will definitely be a great investment for the city. I can't wait until it's completed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City