Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 03:36 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times

Advertisements

Miami. Not many cities can compete with Miami. How many cities are on Miami's level? Not many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 03:37 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,644,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
A lot of weird people in those scenes. These type of parties are becoming popular in bed stuy.
This is what I speak of:

Quote:
The Party Continues, but Those Who Know Are Already There
By IAN LOVETT | December 27, 2011 | NY Times

...But after-hours parties have returned with a vengeance from New York to Los Angeles, in no small part because Facebook and Twitter allow organizers to publicize the events more widely while maintaining secrecy and exclusivity. In Los Angeles, with a metropolitan area of more than 10 million people — and no one legally selling drinks after 2 a.m. — the underground events are drawing hundreds every weekend.

The parties move around, from warehouses to photography studios or industrial buildings, the locations kept secret until just hours before they begin.

”They really are everywhere now,” said Detective Eric Moore of the Los Angeles Police Department’s vice division. He said the police had shut down at least 50 parties during each of the last few years. Mostly, they respond when neighbors complain, he said.

At one downtown event last weekend, people were still arriving at 4 a.m., circling the block near the Greyhound station in search of parking. A middle-aged man stood in the middle of a nearby street, asking people to be quiet and directing them toward the party. Police cars circled, too, but did not break up the gathering.

Inside the windowless brick building, men and women of all ages — black, white, Latino — lined up to get drinks.

People smoked marijuana openly, and attendees said all sorts of other drugs were available as well. But unlike the Ecstasy-fueled raves in the 1990s, these clubs do not appear to center on drugs.

“It seems to be a pretty eclectic group of people, people from all walks of life, which is nice and refreshing,” said Lucas McLoughlin, as he surveyed the scene. “There are people who are clearly intoxicated on various things. But then there are people who aren’t.” [More]
Honestly, the scene here is nuts. And I'm no noob...I was a club kid in the NYC scene in the 90s, been to 6 WMC's in Miami, partied in Ibiza, was a regular at Fabric when I lived in London. I've been around. LA is everything you could want if you prefer your parties underground and prefer your beats > 120 bpm. I can't speak for what NYC is like these days because I've been out of that scene for so long, but LA is as good as I remember NYC being back in the Twilo/Tunnel/Vinyl/Limelight/Sound Factory days. Its still the wild west here. Hopefully the upward trajectory of gentrification here doesn't change that too much.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:42 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,192,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntMorestead View Post
I went to a university which had a terrible party scene and everyone focused more on academics than partying. As a result of all that I never really had that experience of living like a frat boy in college which I really wanted. I am now done with college and want names of as many big cities as possible which have an amazing party scene, lots of wild girls, and have somewhat of the college feel to them in the sense that a man who is 26 can enjoy the life of a frat boy.

So far I have heard:

San Diego, California
Las Vegas, Nevada

I would like to add more cities to the list.
Partying frat boys is one of the cornerstone stereotypes of nightlife in Chicago. There's obviously more to the nightlife here than just that, but parts of the city (ex: Wrigleyville) have definitely become known for it due to the sheer number of transplants who graduated from a Big Ten university.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:43 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
This is what I speak of:

Honestly, the scene here is nuts. And I'm no noob...I was a club kid in the NYC scene in the 90s, been to 6 WMC's in Miami, partied in Ibiza, was a regular at Fabric when I lived in London. I've been around. LA is everything you could want if you prefer your parties underground and prefer your beats > 120 bpm. I can't speak for what NYC is like these days because I've been out of that scene for so long, but LA is as good as I remember NYC being back in the Twilo/Tunnel/Vinyl/Limelight/Sound Factory days.
Hopefully these folks don't snitch on themselves. I know different gangs have "Hood Day" parties, that celebrate the founding of their neighborhoods(gangs) and those parties always get shutdown, even when nothing illegal happens. I guess it's the gang injunctions in LA.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:55 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,644,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Hopefully these folks don't snitch on themselves. I know different gangs have "Hood Day" parties, that celebrate the founding of their neighborhoods(gangs) and those parties always get shutdown, even when nothing illegal happens. I guess it's the gang injunctions in LA.
The warehouse scene and LA's gangs are pretty much mutually exclusive. Its an international, mostly well-educated crowd.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:28 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Haha what's 'defeat'? Must be some East Coast oddity.

Anyhow, it seems that no one wants to admit that their entire ablity to have a good time between the hours of 2am-4am is based solely on their being able to drink alcoholic beverages. To each his own I guess.
Nope.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:49 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
If something doesn't make a Cali city superior, 18monclair will just wipe it off as overrated. He can't admit defeat.
+1 Ha, we actually agree on something today

Old 03-17-2014, 05:53 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well billionaires can afford their own party regardless of the time of day/night

per capita that is one helluva Bay area party

green pork served driven in on a gas guzzling 18-wheeler from Iowa

but no worries the paper wrapping is green but the plastic wrap around it for travel wasn't

But all is good the wine enjoyed is made with rain reservoir recycled water on an estate paying illegals well below market rate pay and no benefits

all is well
LOL Cheers

Old 03-17-2014, 07:09 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
+1 Ha, we actually agree on something today
It's the truth but I can't blame him since he does it behind a PC.

Truth of the matter is true party heads can party till the some comes up, not till 2AM lmfao

Old 03-17-2014, 07:14 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Nope.
No, you cant admit that without drinks, you are no fun?

That's what I said btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City