Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Francisco Bay Area CSA vs. New Jersey
San Francisco Bay Area 52 69.33%
New Jersey 23 30.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 08:33 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,366 times

Advertisements

Both areas are on the end of I-80 and seem relatively equivalent in my mind

San Francisco Bay Area (CSA):

Population: 8,469,854
Area: 10,174 square miles
GDP: $606 billion

New Jersey:

Population: 8,899,339
Area: 8,722 square miles
GDP: $508 billion

Both have extreme urban areas (San Francisco/Hudson County), both have large suburban areas, both have rural areas, both are relatively diverse, and both are relatively educated and affluent with pockets of poverty.

What area would you prefer?

Criteria:

Food
Scenery
Climate
Diversity
Proximity to other things
Quality of Life
Education
Anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 10:02 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Criteria

Food: New Jersey
Scenery: Bay Area
Climate : Bay Area
Diversity: New Jersey
Proximity to other things: New Jersey
Quality of Life: New Jersey
Education: Bay Area
Culture: New Jersey
Transportation: New Jersey
Safety: Bay Area

Old 04-02-2014, 08:42 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,903,148 times
With the exception of scenery and climate I would say both regions are pretty close in criteria. Depending on what part of Jersey you live in you could be across the bridge from either NYC or Philadelphia. Not to say New Jersey doesn't have its own attractions such as some of the great beaches along the Jersey Shore, but being that close to two of America's greatest cities is a perk that can't be ignored.

I prefer the Bay Area overall. The abundance of outdoor options, and the mild climate is the deal breaker for me.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:41 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times
When you're comparing NJ to the Bay Area, not only are you comparing one of the most sizable and notable states of the US to the 2nd largest metro in CA, you are essentially comparing New York's and Philadelphia's suburbs (mainly NYC's).

Old 04-02-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I prefer the Bay Area overall. The abundance of outdoor options, and the mild climate is the deal breaker for me.
Delaware Water Gap is pretty amazing though, and the populated areas of New Jersey actually get winter weather which could be a dealer-breaker for some people.

I'm surprised by the votes in this thread. I actually think Hudson County (Bayonne/Jersey City area) is a comparison to San Francisco. Hudson County is suprisingly more urban than people give it credit for.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:18 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Delaware Water Gap is pretty amazing though, and the populated areas of New Jersey actually get winter weather which could be a dealer-breaker for some people.

I'm surprised by the votes in this thread. I actually think Hudson County (Bayonne/Jersey City area) is a comparison to San Francisco. Hudson County is suprisingly more urban than people give it credit for.
I'm surprised as well. Since New Jersey consist of both NYC and Philadelphia suburbs and satellite cities, you would think that would be enough to hold its own against the entire Bay Area.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I'm surprised as well. Since New Jersey consist of both NYC and Philadelphia suburbs and satellite cities, you would think that would be enough to hold its own against the entire Bay Area.
I think there's a temptation to think that NJ can't stand alone on its own merits because a huge defining feature of the state is being next to NYC and Philadelphia, and not anything within the state itself. Compare this the Bay Area, where San Francisco is THE destination for the region.

However, even as far as suburbs go, New Jersey offers a pretty high quality of life. Most Jersey residents live their lives SOLELY in NJ, as opposed to commuting to out of state.

http://www.census.gov/hhes/commuting...012/ACS-20.pdf

Only 14% of NJ workers commute out of state (including PA and NY). Considering NJ is supposedly made up of just suburbs of the two cities, that's pretty impressive. NJ, in its own right has their own employment centers that isn't dependent on neither NYC nor Philadelphia.

I don't think its an unwarranted comparison.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:46 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:

Just by virtue of high density, that's not enough to even come close to San Francisco as far as being a big city destination with the amenities that come along with being a world class city.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Just by virtue of high density, that's not enough to even come close to San Francisco as far as being a big city destination with the amenities that come along with being a world class city.
Definitely. However, in terms of amenities such as public transportation (Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, PATH trains, NJ Transit), construction, office space, bars, restaurants, etc., Hudson County does quite well for itself considering that it's right next to Manhattan.

Bayonne is an up-and-coming area, Jersey City has a pretty vibrant core for a city of 250,000 roughly.

San Francisco most likely beats it out though. Don't get me wrong.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:24 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,903,148 times
Quote:

It is different strokes for different folks. Both regions are attractive places to live but I prefer the Bay Area over anything west of the Mississippi. In closing people vote for what they like most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City