Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 05:23 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times

Advertisements

^^^I've never seen that. Sounds like the dumbest idea I've ever heard of. I also live in a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 05:51 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
African American cuisine had a lot of regional variation. In the Carolinas, where rice was abundant, there were dishes like Hoppin' John and Chicken Bog. In places where corn was more prevalent, there were more corn-based dishes (cornbread became a universal staple of "soul food" only in recent decades). There was never only one "African American" food and there still isn't today.
Too bad it all gets thrown together as just soul food. Nevermind that different areas of the US had different climates, different crops, different immigration patterns, and therefore different culinary influences.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:50 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So you don't think race played any part of it? There were many upper class African American households in DC for years and they never came to the neighborhood. I think there is a major elephant in the room here. Money only plays a certain part in this. Look how many restaurants exist in poor areas in other cities. The requirement typically has to do with the race of that poor area.
Also I am not sure that race is the driver - Philadelphia has 610K people that live in Black/AA dominated neighborhoods (meaning greater than 85% AA/Black) - Larger than the population of all of Atlanta and nearly 95% of the whole population of DC today.

I just don't buy your logic quite frankly - there is African and Soul food that are quite good IMHO

Don't see this as any crutch on why the food scene is or has been poor TBH - DC i and was hardly any more black/AA than is and has been Philly - actually far lower in the city proper in absolute and close on percentage

In fact in 1990

DC ~ 400K black/AA (~60%)
Philly ~ 765K black/AA (~50%)

Old 04-09-2014, 09:10 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Also I am not sure that race is the driver - Philadelphia has 610K people that live in Black/AA dominated neighborhoods (meaning greater than 85% AA/Black) - Larger than the population of all of Atlanta and nearly 95% of the whole population of DC today.

I just don't buy your logic quite frankly - there is African and Soul food that are quite good IMHO

Don't see this as any crutch on why the food scene is or has been poor TBH - DC i and was hardly any more black/AA than is and has been Philly - actually far lower in the city proper in absolute and close on percentage

In fact in 1990

That's only the city limits though....Atlanta has like 1.8 million blacks in the metro...more than the population of Philly.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:25 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
That's only the city limits though....Atlanta has like 1.8 million blacks in the metro...more than the population of Philly.
So what's the population in Philadelphia's metro? About half that?

Old 04-09-2014, 09:35 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
So what's the population in Philadelphia's metro? About half that?
According to my calculations, there's 1,319,991 people that are only Black/African American in the Delaware Valley MSA (Philadelphia). Add another 38,000 for the CSA. There are 1,707,913 in the Atlanta MSA. So basically 22% for Philadelphia MSA and 32% for Atlanta MSA.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:42 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,188,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

In fact in 1990

Don't know where you are getting your numbers from but Philly's black population has never been anywhere near 50% of the city proper (it was 39% black in 1990 which it is roughly around what is today) and Philly has always been significantly less of a AA city than DC although it does have a large black population. With that said, this does not give DC a pass for lacking a good amount of diverse affordable food options in the city proper but I somewhat understand the argument MD is trying to make. Cities like Philly, NYC and Chicago all have large black populations but they all have notable large numbers of others races and ethnicities and their diversity is concentrated in the city therefore they are not dominated one race while in contrast, DC proper is traditionally dominated by black/AAs with its diversity being concentrated in its suburbs.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Don't know where you are getting your numbers from but Philly's black population has never been anywhere near 50% of the city proper (it was 39% black in 1990 which it is roughly around what is today) and Philly has always been significantly less of a AA city than DC although it does have a large black population. With that said, this does not give DC a pass for lacking a good amount of diverse affordable food options in the city proper but I somewhat understand the argument MD is trying to make. Cities like Philly, NYC and Chicago all have large black populations but they all have notable large numbers of others races and ethnicities and their diversity is concentrated in the city therefore they are not dominated one race while in contrast, DC proper is traditionally dominated by black/AAs with its diversity being concentrated in its suburbs.
Maybe you stated it wrong, but at least for Chicago and NYC this is not necessarily true. There's a lot of diversity in suburbs. I'm not as familiar with Philadelphia's suburbs on that topic.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:08 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,188,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Maybe you stated it wrong, but at least for Chicago and NYC this is not necessarily true. There's a lot of diversity in suburbs. I'm not as familiar with Philadelphia's suburbs on that topic.
Did I say that Chicago and NYC does not have diversity in its suburbs? No, I did not. There is certainly diversity in the burbs for all three metros (Philly suburbs to a much lesser extent). However wouldn't you agree that most of the concentration of diversity of all three areas are located in the city propers of the 3 cities?

Old 04-09-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Did I say that Chicago and NYC does not have diversity in its suburbs? No, I did not. There is certainly diversity in the burbs for all three metros (Philly suburbs to a much lesser extent). However wouldn't you agree that most of the concentration of diversity of all three areas are located in the city propers of the 3 cities?
I implied it and partially read it wrong, sorry. Anyway, most of it? Hard to say. For example in Chicago, I did this in another thread, but there are suburbs adding up to about 1.2 million people that actually have more Asian people than the city of Chicago itself, even though the city has over 2X the population of those combined burbs. There are also many European immigrants who live in the burbs too, and you have suburbs like Cicero which is 85% Hispanic and Berwyn next to it which is 60% hispanic. Also many southern and western suburbs that are heavily Black/African American like Harvey or Maywood at 75% each.

I'd agree a lot is in the city, but in those cities there's actually a lot in the suburbs. More than you'd think if you aren't familiar with either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City