Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2014, 05:50 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,206,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Food? Seattle? Are you saying based on what the industry says or based on your opinion? I don't think I have ever heard Seattle mentioned along the lines of New York, Chicago, San Fran, LA, DC, Houston, or New Orleans. Is this what you think about Seattle or what people in the industry would say about Seattle? I am interested to know what is going on in Seattle and their food scene though. What famous chefs have opened up new restaurants in Seattle that I should try when I visit?

As for nightlife, I don't know Seattle that well in this regard. What kind of city is Seattle? Upscale Mega club/Upscale Lounge city or a normal come as you are, no dress code, no cover charge, stand around and talk bar city?
Seattle seems to be a pretty solid seafood city to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 06:08 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Which neighborhoods are those? I know Midtown is a new hot spot and it's got some cool stuff but I wouldn't exactly call it lively... at least not in the way that I would (say) Oakland in Pittsburgh or Mount Vernon in Baltimore. Miami's inner city suffers from similar defects as LA -- it's mostly poor (with a few exceptions), it lacks cohesion and it still has largely auto-oriented design with surface lots and single family homes a prominent feature of the urban landscape. I think this is fairly reflected by Walkscore which shows not a single neighborhood outside of downtown scoring above 86.
What neighborhoods? Little Havana, Brickell , Edgewater, Wynwood, Design district ,Shenandoah, Allapatah all which got a Walk Score 77 or above with most in the 80's. The city of Miami was giving a Walk score of 76 overall and makes the top 10 nationwide for walkability.

Miami Apartments for Rent and Miami Rentals - Walk Score

Also what exactly does being "poor" have to do with vibrancy? Poor people can't be vibrant? Another question is tell me what cities in the top list here don't have a "auto-oriented design"?

Old 04-03-2014, 06:30 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
What neighborhoods? Little Havana, Brickell , Edgewater, Wynwood, Design district ,Shenandoah, Allapatah all which got a Walk Score 77 or above with most in the 80's. The city of Miami was giving a Walk score of 76 overall and makes the top 10 nationwide for walkability.

Also what exactly does being "poor" have to do with vibrancy? Poor people can't be vibrant? Another question is tell me what cities in the top list here don't have a "auto-oriented design"?
Walkscore is useless.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:50 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
http://definingdowntown.org/A9EB8300...townReport.pdf

think this may be what you are referencing

BTW MD the map sort of mirrors your broader definition of DT if you look at the report

Interesting on this is CCD excluded UCity as a core employment center (they sort of compete here as a job node - the eastern portion of UCity has nearly the job density of CC today)

CCD specifically excluded the 80K jobs and 116K people living from both employment and population numbers (see page 35 in the initial report) at 1/2 and 1 mile on their metrics for the core business district and surrounding areas

ISSUU - The State of University City 2013/2014 by University City District

CCD and UCity sort of dont get along in some ways - this is actually kind of funny now that I look at it - look at the job density chart on page 45 of the UCity report - the CCD report specifically left it out decreasing job and population in the cluster

for Philly UCity combined with CC (they literally touch one another) is actually
Jobs 368K
Residents within 1 mile of these centers 287K

I also did a combined DT SF and SF Civic Center job centers as they are also sort of attached as well
Jobs 453K
Residents within 1 mile of these centers 309K

For NYC Midtown and DT
Jobs 1.97 Mil
Residents 760K

Chicago
Jobs 610K
Residents 144K

DC
Jobs 469K
Residents 174K

Some Others of Note for this particular thread (no order)

LA
Jobs 372K (density of jobs 285)
Residents 175K

Seattle
Jobs 294K (density of jobs 150)
Residents 120K

Denver
Jobs 181K (density of jobs 133)
Residents 80K

Baltimore
Jobs 149K (density 119)
Residents 109K

Miami
Jobs 188K (Density 52)
Residents 141K

Brooklyn as a stand alone (excludes Manhattan and is still pretty impressive)
Jobs 350K (Density 404 - second most dense job center in US after Midtown - higher than the Loop or DT Manhattan actually)
Residents 202K

Pittsburgh is another interesting one - think would be surprising to most (DT/Oakland - these two touch each other)
Jobs 233K (Density 134)
Residents 125K

Dallas
Jobs 168K (Density 175)
Residents 37K

Atlanta (DT/MT)
Jobs 247K (Density 88)
Residents 141K

Houston
Jobs 200K (Density 166)
Residents 59K

Austin
Jobs 215K (Density 135)
Residents 65K

Portland
Jobs 180K (Density 61)
Residents 101K

Minneapolis
Jobs 232K (Density 85)
Residents 132K

Thanks, and yes this is very interesting. I think the reason they didn't include UCity with Center City is because they wanted to compare the same amount of land area for each downtown to get an apples to apples comparison at 1 mile. All of these cover the same land area.

Looking at the map for D.C., I'm anxious to see what the census 2020 results will be. The city will have added over 40,000 housing units in that same downtown plus one mile footprint they used. That will put D.C. well past every city except Midtown Manhattan.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
^^^ also this has jobs density per acre in these areas (DTs and secondary job centers)

starting on page 38 of the report

Of note
NYC Midtown 970 per acre (wow compared to all else)
NYC DT 327
Chicago 294
LA 285
SF 217
Philly 203
Dallas 175
Houston 166
Seattle 150
DC 97 (BTW U City in Philly is at 85, nearly the same as the core of DC)

* Boston had no data for this metric
That makes sense. D.C. has all it's jobs in 15 story buildings. The cities being compared to D.C. have their jobs in 30-50 story buildings. D.C. is shrinking their office space while adding jobs in the same footprint right now and for the foreseeable future. Office space is about to start switching to residential FINALLY!

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-03-2014 at 07:18 PM..

Old 04-03-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
Yes, Seattle for food.

Look at this list from National Eater where food writers and experts list their favorite food cities:
Food Writers and Experts on the Best and Most Overrated Dining Cities of 2012 - Year In Eater 2012 - Eater National.

Notice how 5 or 6 of the critics mention Seattle and it is listed at the top among only a handful of cities in the World. Philadelphia isn't mentioned once.

Also, check out this Anthony Bourdain layover episode from Seattle - he clearly raves about how it's one of the best food cities in the country: Seattle Episode: The Layover With Anthony Bourdain: Travel Channel.

There are many categories where Seattle blows Philadelphia out of the water, and the combned quality and value of the restaurants and food scene in general in Seattle right now is better than the vast majority of cities.

Here's another link from a Miami newspaper, of all places: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...64125504,d.b2I

Agreed, I apologize. Here is one of the most respected magazines in the nation and Seattle is definitely ranked in the top 10 even back in 2010. Sorry I missed that. I'm sure Seattle has come leaps and bounds since then. I know most cities have.

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4. New Orleans
5. Los Angeles
6. Las Vegas
7. Houston
8. Washington D.C.
9. Boston
10. Seattle

Best Restaurant Cities - The Best Restaurant Cities in America 2010 - Esquire

Old 04-03-2014, 07:33 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Thanks, and yes this is very interesting. I think the reason they didn't include UCity with Center City is because they wanted to compare the same amount of land area for each downtown to get an apples to apples comparison at 1 mile. All of these cover the same land area.

Looking at the map for D.C., I'm anxious to see what the census 2020 results will be. The city will have added over 40,000 housing units in that same downtown plus one mile footprint they used. That will put D.C. well past every city except Midtown Manhattan.
Thats only if every other city dosen't grow between now and 2020. Remeber all the cities are growing .

Old 04-03-2014, 08:47 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Thats only if every other city dosen't grow between now and 2020. Remeber all the cities are growing .
Interesting that DTLAs job density is so high, right on par with Chicago. The vacancy rate in downtown is really high too, crazy to think what the density could be if Bunker Hill ever fills those high rises and the Historic Core can convert the upper levels in the mid rises along Broadway, Spring and Main.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post

I can't think of any other city that concentrates their new development and population growth like D.C. in such a concentrated footprint. Also, the only reason I said that is because D.C. is already leading most cities now at one mile.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-03-2014 at 10:13 PM..

Old 04-03-2014, 10:18 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post

Wynwood and Design District are vibrant? Please. When are they vibrant... once a month when they have the art walk?

And I am sorry but Walkscore of 77 is crap. It's not until you get to upper 80s (at least) that you hit a vibrant (or even somewhat vibrant) urban environment. Miami has an impressive average Walkscore but doesn't have the peaks and the cohesivenenss needed to sustain a solid urban core. That's why Seattle -- which has a lower average Walkscore but over 100,000 people living in Walkscores of 90+ -- kills Miami's urban core.

As for poverty, that wasn't about vibrance per se but a general observation about the quality of Miami's urban fabric.

PS. All the other cities I mentioned -- Baltimore, Portland, Pittsburgh and New Orleans (not to mention the top 6) -- have a significantly less auto-oriented design in the core than does Miami. IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City