Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is San Francisco's relative stature in the US?
Top 5 99 63.06%
6-10 46 29.30%
11-15 7 4.46%
Outside the top 15 5 3.18%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 06:44 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
As far as relevance and influence today as far as driving the economy and trends, the Bay Area is probably no lower than 2nd

The Bay Area is 2nd as far as corporate concentration and globally recognized corporate brands.

The Bay Area is 1st(by far) when it comes to annual patents issued.

Billions of people around the world access information and project their lives to the rest of the world on platforms that originate in the Bay.

Billions.

Imagine if suddenly Google, Facebook, YouTube, gmail, Wikipedia, Craigslist, Twitter, LinkedIn all decided to shut down. Imagine if that shutdown were accompanied by Apple and Android wireless operating systems also shut down.

All this talk of Riverside and Philly are cute but neither of those 2 places wield the immense global power that Bay Area companies collectively possess.

New York and DC to me are the only other 2 that could reak that kind of havoc in the world.
Exactly. The Bay Area is the unofficial capital of the internet. In cyberspace, it's the most influential city in the WORLD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 09:03 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
I just have to ask, though, is Houston more influential than the Bay Area? Is Seattle? Is Atlanta? Is Dallas? Boston? Philly? Miami? We still haven't heard from the 6-10 crew yet...
None of them are. I don't see the current top 5 being penetrated by the next 6-10 anytime soon. The Bay Area is SOLID where it's at.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:24 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,593,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Exactly. The Bay Area is the unofficial capital of the internet. In cyberspace, it's the most influential city in the WORLD.
Well, since the 6-10 crowd obviously isn't posting, I guess I'll play devils advocate (again, I really think that SF is a top 5 city in the United States)

But what about things outside of cyberspace?

It seems that San Francisco can be argued to appeal to a niche group of people. Unlike NYC, LA, or CHI, SF seems to appeal more to a niche crowd to the average American than the all-encompassing nature of the top 3 cities in the United States.

Some could argue that Philadelphia, Boston, Dallas, Houston, or Atlanta are even more encompassing than SF.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:32 PM

12,847 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
If you remove Silicon Valley, you can hear arguments for Boston & Houston to be ranked ahead of San Francisco I think...but the Bay Area as a whole (which I believe is how that region should be measured) is definitely Top 5.
This. The differentiation between the SF/OAK and SJ MSAs by the Census Bureau seems to fool some people into believing that the two areas are distinctly separate. There are obvious differences between the primary cities, but it's very much one large, cohesive economically and culturally influential area. Definitely one of the top 5. I consider Boston, Dallas, Houston, etc. to be in the 6-10 crew and as a Boston resident and fan, I have no problem with that.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:48 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Well, since the 6-10 crowd obviously isn't posting, I guess I'll play devils advocate (again, I really think that SF is a top 5 city in the United States)

It seems that San Francisco can be argued to appeal to a niche group of people. Unlike NYC, LA, or CHI, SF seems to appeal more to a niche crowd to the average American than the all-encompassing nature of the top 3 cities in the United States.

Some could argue that Philadelphia, Boston, Dallas, Houston, or Atlanta are even more encompassing than SF.
This makes no sense whatsoever. SF has been a migratory city and a hub of immigration since its founding. In fact, when you look at age, it's the youngest major city in the country...and considering the local phrase that someone born in the city who still lives here is a "unicorn", you can imagine how transient it is. The difference between transiency here and elsewhere, though, is that people fall in love with the city and the general area for the long term. There's not a culture of "putting in your time" before moving to Atlanta or Dallas. People move here, stay in the city as long as they can, then move to an adjacent county so they can still work and use the city.

Considering all of the cultural revolutions of the place, I don't see how you can say that this area doesn't appeal to a broad base of people. The attitude of the Bay Area, and really much of the West, has been entrepreneurial from the get-go. Chicago has a definite Midwest mindset. New York has a work until you burnout mindset, but has been slowly adopting more and more the SF laissez faire culture (whereas SF has been meeting NYC in the middle and becoming a little more intense). DC? Talk about defined!! People come to the Bay Area with an idea and a hope of making something of it. There is a reason this is the innovation hub of the world, and it's not all software/web development. The economy here encompasses a lot. The politics here is local and in your face.

If you had to naively say that there is a definite "niche" of people in SF/Bay Area, what pray tell would you say it is? Both LA and SF are cities where people move to to make their dreams/ideas come true (or at least that's the hope).

Old 04-24-2014, 01:30 PM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post

The Bay Area/SV is absolutely Top 5. Personally I think how you arrange the Top 5 is up for debate, but NYC, LA, Chicago, SF and DC seem to be pretty much set. I do not see anyone in the 6-10 crowd creeping up there anytime soon. Yes Houston has energy, Atlanta media, Philly pharma and Boston is probably the 2nd most innovative place on the planet after SF, but none of them are on the Bay Area's level.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:47 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
If you do this by CSA, then I would consider NYC, LA, Chicago, Washington, Boston, and SF (not in that order) to be the most important. I'm just not certain which one I would bump out of the top 5 though.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:56 PM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
If you do this by CSA, then I would consider NYC, LA, Chicago, Washington, Boston, and SF (not in that order) to be the most important. I'm just not certain which one I would bump out of the top 5 though.
I agree 100% with that Top 6. Personally I think its clear that Boston ends up on the outside at #6 and I say that as a resident who thinks fondly of the city in general.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:10 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I agree 100% with that Top 6. Personally I think its clear that Boston ends up on the outside at #6 and I say that as a resident who thinks fondly of the city in general.
I'll take you word for it as a resident.

As someone who's in the middle of the country though, I'll say that it was hard for me to pick because the cities differ in the type of influence that they have. Looking at Washington, SF, and Boston, Washington has the federal government, SF is the epicenter of tech field right now, and Boston would be the intellectual capital that also has a large tech field itself.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:11 PM

12,847 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Put me in this category too. Boston definitely falls outside of the top 5 when it comes to CSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City