Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which downtown is the most urban and walkable?
Savannah 24 21.43%
DC 16 14.29%
Baltimore 5 4.46%
Philadelphia 67 59.82%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 01:32 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Haha that's laughable. Pretty much every city's downtown is grid patterned with sidewalks.
It wasn't the grid but the squares specifically that were cited as a feature that makes Savannah's downtown more walkable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 01:48 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It wasn't the grid but the squares specifically that were cited as a feature that makes Savannah's downtown more walkable.
Philly is on a grid and has squares as well and is tenfold more urban than Savannah. Sooo, your point? I'm a little confused by what you're saying...

Old 05-03-2014, 01:52 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Philly is on a grid and has squares as well and is tenfold more urban than Savannah. Sooo, your point? I'm a little confused by what you're saying...
It's not my argument; it's what I've heard someone else say. I found it to be a bit on the ridiculous side myself.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:16 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Savannah is laid out on a grid pattern. It's very walkable but I'd advise against doing so in mid-July unless you enjoy sweating profusely.

I'd disqualify Baltimore simply due to the fact that there are some pretty scary parts of town within a couple minutes walk from the harbor.

Philly and DC are pretty walkable but I give the edge to DC. Ive walked from Bethesda to Georgetown and have walked from the Nats stadium to my apartment in Arlington. I probably should explore Philly more though before I make the call.
I'd advise walking in downtown DC in July and August as well lol.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:36 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Hmm I think they are very walkable - TBH I am not sure there are many areas in the US more walkable than CC Philly itself. They are slightly different types of walkable though. I enjoy strolling in all (Savannah like setting too).

I would probably say

Philly
DC
Baltimore

then
Savannah on the whole - but I think is truly tough to compare Savannah to the others and all DTs are definitely walkable no doubt

Also Philly has a series of squares on a grid in its DT as well, part of the original design actually.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:38 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'd advise walking in downtown DC in July and August as well lol.
soup anyone

Old 05-03-2014, 02:41 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
I've heard it stated that Savannah's squares make its downtown more urban and walkable than the downtowns of the other cities on this list, so I'm just curious to hear what others think.
Savannah's core is as walkable if not more walkable than the other cities, but not more urban. But Savannah is very walkable in part because the center is so compact and the streets are scaled for pedestrians(and there's not much traffic either).

Old 05-03-2014, 02:43 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,621,258 times
LOL @ this question.

Mutiny...I know you started this post based off another Georgia poster...LOL

Old 05-03-2014, 02:45 PM

19 posts, read 30,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bones View Post
IMO, Philadelphia is more walkable than DC because the latter lacks a true urban core and is more nodally structured. DC has a lot of walkable areas but they arent seamlessly connected as they are in Philly.

Next time you're in Philly, you should walk along Walnut from Front Street to 40th. There really isn't any walk like that in DC.

- Yeah, it's hard to match that kind of "downtown" urbanity in many places in the U.S., period. I just finished my pre-Broad Street run (10 mile running race, one street with no turns, of continuous urbanity, not all tourist-friendly urbanity, however) warm-up inline skate from Front St. to 52nd St. via Walnut St. and then a return trip from 52nd St. to Front St. via Chestnut St. Hardcore urbanity the entire way! I love that! Was the entire stretch tourist-friendly? No. (Tourists would not feel comfy after about 46th St. -- Once Police Headquarters moves to 46th St. that might change, however)

- I did this on inline skates, there's absolutely no way most people could make that trip on foot.

Last edited by Methedy23; 05-03-2014 at 02:58 PM..

Old 05-03-2014, 03:56 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methedy23 View Post
Hardcore urbanity the entire way! I love that! Was the entire stretch tourist-friendly? No. (Tourists would not feel comfy after about 46th St. -- Once Police Headquarters moves to 46th St. that might change, however)

- I did this on inline skates, there's absolutely no way most people could make that trip on foot.
Depends where you are. On say Spruce south to Baltimore Ave is extremely nice and most tourists would feel perfectly comfortable up to say 50th.

That is part of the beauty of Philly. So much is changing so rapidly in what was once ghetto and run down areas. It's pretty cool to see entire blocks under construction and being rebuilt in some neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City