Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities are more culturally alike Dallas/Tyler or Atlanta/Macon Or Houston/Lufkin
Dallas/Tyler 13 24.07%
Atlanta/Macon 23 42.59%
Houston/Lufkin 18 33.33%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 07:50 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times

Advertisements

.... odd choice of cities and towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 08:08 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,903,955 times
[quote=bootsdaddy;35012517]Why thanks Dee. I've only lived right IN THE MIDDLE OF LUFKIN FOR ALMOST 50 YEARS. You can drive across town in 10-15 minutes. What's your point? The chamber of commerce estimates Lufkin's daytime population at 75,000. There's a Walmart, a Target, a K-Mart, the mall, a Best Buy, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. I know because I live within 5 minutes of all these places. Again I ask you...what's your point? Lufkin at 36,000 doesn't have a lot in common with Houston (2.3 m) except that we're all Texans.[/quote
I don't care for Lufkin anyway but it is culturally like Houston but trashy and ran down!

Old 05-29-2014, 08:11 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
How about this one. Dallas/Waco and Houston/Beaumont and Atlanta/Macon.
I like those pairings. Houston/Beaumont has the oil industry and Dallas/Waco because of the youthful population of Waco due to the university and I'm sure many of them are from Dallas or visit Dallas frequently.

I can't speak on Atlanta/Macon because I know absolutely nothing about Macon and I'm slightly embarrassed that I also don't know who Sherman is. I definitely didn't pay attention in history class. There's little that I even know about Sam Houston or Stephen F. Austin so just imagine how little I know about other notable historical figures in other states. As for European history I can go on for hours and hours with the abundance of history I've studied on it. I love European history.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:50 PM

49 posts, read 82,448 times
This poll is pretty accurate.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:02 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Dallas and Tyler dont even seem remotely similar to me. Neither do Houston and Lufkin.

If youre looking for a mini-version of Dallas, Waco is better. For Houston, Beaumont.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:09 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,595,685 times
Oh yes, Houston and Lufkin are exactly alike.

Any time Houston is brought up in a thread in these forums, it becomes increasingly clear that very few people seem to know the first thing about Houston.

Reality check: Houston is like Houston, and Dallas is like Dallas. Never been to Macon, but I would imagine the same applies to Atlanta. What is the point of this thread anyway?

Old 11-07-2014, 06:13 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,595,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Dallas and Tyler dont even seem remotely similar to me. Neither do Houston and Lufkin.

If youre looking for a mini-version of Dallas, Waco is better. For Houston, Beaumont.
Ugh. No. Baytown is like Beaumont maybe.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:14 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Cultural parallels will always be found between major cities and the small places that sit within their sphere of influence. Every southern town from Waco to Shreveport seems to bare similarities to Dallas, and I've seen comparisons to Houston drawn from every town from Huntsville to Metairie.

But my vote is for Atlanta/Macon, based on terrain alone. Aside from that it is a complete tossup.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:05 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post

Waco isn't fashionable & doesn't have any socialites.

Tyler is a mini Dallas in those two aspects.

Its also the hub of East Texas like Dallas is the hub of North Texas. Waco isn't the hub of anything unless you are referring to Baylor, but even then with Tyler's 3 colleges put together they are in fact larger than Baylor.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:10 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Waco isn't fashionable & doesn't have any socialites.

Tyler is a mini Dallas in those two aspects.

Its also the hub of East Texas like Dallas is the hub of North Texas. Waco isn't the hub of anything.
I'd bet that you actually know very little about Waco.

Tyler fashionable? Mmkay..

Waco is closer to Dallas and certainly looks more like it than Tyler does. I know that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City