Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 11:33 AM

72 posts, read 97,396 times

Advertisements

Slightly off topic, but an interesting saying that I found to be true:

If you are young and you aren't a liberal, then you have no heart.
If you are older and you aren't a conservative, then you have no brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 05:45 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtm7 View Post
You beat me to it. Unless the city has a long-term trend of voting a certain way, you can't really label them as red or blue. So using election results from the last election is not useful in determining red from blue.
You can't reach back and talk about long term trends when the make up of a city and a metro has been rapidly growing. Places like Charlotte aren't anything like the places that they were 20 or 30 years ago. While Charlotte's surrounding counties lean Republican, Mecklenburg is clearly blue and will be so well beyond Obama.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:46 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:

I'd say that if you are older and aren't a conservative, your heart hasn't shriveled up and died.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:50 PM

326 posts, read 498,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
May I suggest DC? Now, I know what you're going to say -- DC is deep blue, they vote for the Democrats every single time, it's the center of big government. But hear me out: The fact that it's the national capital guarantees that there's always a strong and vocal contingent of Republicans. Republicans have the majority in Congress; every one of those Republican congressmen needs a staff, and that's to say nothing of right-leaning lobbyists, non-profit employees, etc. This is the city where the Heritage Foundation is headquartered. In places like New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco, you're going to be embarrassed to be a Republican. In DC, you may be outnumbered, but you'll never be embarrassed -- you'll find loads of people like you, and even those who disagree with you tend to be respectful out of a sort of professional courtesy. It's an interesting culture.
yeah, i think you have to consider places with simply a reasonable red presence.

i don't think politics is enough of a reason to move somewhere cool if that's your point. find a place where you think you can be happy. i'm in a place (charleston sc) much more conservative than i'm used to but i have no problem finding like minded people. and the place itself is just awesome. politics is not what makes me friends usually.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:13 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,592 times
Quote:

I understand the premise seeing as the blue team is shaped as the child like bleeding hearts and red team as the fiscally responsible adults. That saying wouldn't be so bad if the red team didn't have such terribly flawed policy / ideas / stances that are continuously debunked & refuted by the scientific community, economists, historians & fact checkers.

Obviously not all, but I would be so happy if they were right on the biggest non social issues specifically related to economics (oh and the environment) which should be their bread and butter in a two party system where the other party either doesn't have a clue or can't all get behind the same message to do something / anything.

The red team is on the wrong side of history (economics) and the future (civil rights / social issues). If they didn't appear so crazy when it came to social issues / minorities / religion and actually had good economic policy it would be such a likeable party!

But instead we are all screwed since both the red & blue team are bought and paid for thanks to corporations / lobbyists / special interest groups. We don't stand a chance!

Old 06-02-2014, 08:09 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,150,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
This gives a pretty good baramoter of metro redness and blueness.

Pittsburgh - Surprised
Allegheny County, where the city and nearly all of the action in the Pittsburgh area happens is still as blue as ever, but the counties outside of the city have gone really red over the past 20 years. Pittsburgh hasn't had a Republican mayor in over 80 years.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:12 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
May I suggest DC? Now, I know what you're going to say -- DC is deep blue, they vote for the Democrats every single time, it's the center of big government. But hear me out: The fact that it's the national capital guarantees that there's always a strong and vocal contingent of Republicans. Republicans have the majority in Congress; every one of those Republican congressmen needs a staff, and that's to say nothing of right-leaning lobbyists, non-profit employees, etc. This is the city where the Heritage Foundation is headquartered. In places like New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco, you're going to be embarrassed to be a Republican. In DC, you may be outnumbered, but you'll never be embarrassed -- you'll find loads of people like you, and even those who disagree with you tend to be respectful out of a sort of professional courtesy. It's an interesting culture.
To be honest, being a Republican nowadays is perceived as being out of touch with prevailing social values. This is true in DC and the Maryland suburbs and to a slightly lesser extent in Northern Virginia - in spite of there being so many Republican politicians who represent other states.

The society and culture has changed significantly over the last 20 years or so.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:24 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,346 times
Phoenix, AZ--tolerant, open-minded people with a live-and-let-live attitude; no one cares what religion you are. Lots and lots of people here eat healthily, shop organically, work out, do yoga. Very clean as well as low crime for a major city with esp. safe suburbs. Spread out and easily navigable by car, so more accessible to small-town folks. Mild winters, lots of sunshine, no tornadoes/hurricanes/humidity. Beautiful Sonoran desert scenery abounds. Affordable COL, including reasonable home, insurance, gas, and food prices. Close to Flagstaff if you want cooler temps in summer and snow in the winter. Las Vegas, LA, and SD all within driving distance.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:38 PM

14 posts, read 21,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Phoenix, AZ--tolerant, open-minded people with a live-and-let-live attitude; no one cares what religion you are. Lots and lots of people here eat healthily, shop organically, work out, do yoga. Very clean as well as low crime for a major city with esp. safe suburbs. Spread out and easily navigable by car, so more accessible to small-town folks. Mild winters, lots of sunshine, no tornadoes/hurricanes/humidity. Beautiful Sonoran desert scenery abounds. Affordable COL, including reasonable home, insurance, gas, and food prices. Close to Flagstaff if you want cooler temps in summer and snow in the winter. Las Vegas, LA, and SD all within driving distance.
I would say Phoenix too, but it is becoming very liberal very quickly.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:01 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,193,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
I understand the premise seeing as the blue team is shaped as the child like bleeding hearts and red team as the fiscally responsible adults. That saying wouldn't be so bad if the red team didn't have such terribly flawed policy / ideas / stances that are continuously debunked & refuted by the scientific community, economists, historians & fact checkers.

Obviously not all, but I would be so happy if they were right on the biggest non social issues specifically related to economics (oh and the environment) which should be their bread and butter in a two party system where the other party either doesn't have a clue or can't all get behind the same message to do something / anything.

The red team is on the wrong side of history (economics) and the future (civil rights / social issues). If they didn't appear so crazy when it came to social issues / minorities / religion and actually had good economic policy it would be such a likeable party!

But instead we are all screwed since both the red & blue team are bought and paid for thanks to corporations / lobbyists / special interest groups. We don't stand a chance!
Anyone that thinks there has been only heart for Democrats should know the answer to this question: What administration was the last to run budget surpluses?

The Clinton administration. I apologize if I debunked two mythological slogans used by the right there. Facts are facts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City