Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 10:14 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
You're quoting THIS quack? Laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 10:58 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times

1706 Rittenhouse Square Street - YouTube

Old 06-06-2014, 11:45 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
San Fran or Boston is smaller than Philly. In comparison Atlanta has museum piece sized artifacts of urbanity compared to Philly. Atlanta is in the suburban amalgamate category of cities. Is there a single place in Atlanta as a professional you could realistically live without a car? Step out on to the street and cross dozens of other professionals before you walk a block?

After checking trulia's rental's for downtown atlanta, I can assure you, atlanta has no urban. In fact the idea of renting in one of those 3 buildings looking for the urban lifestyle is frightening.

On stubhub for the next 30 days of events -
Pennsylvania Philadelphia (423)
Georgia Atlanta (126)
Your limited opinion.You cannot prove that by fact because you never tried living in Atlanta without a car.
I have.

Fact is you are wrong.
I have lived without a car in Atlanta for several months in the past.

I have a friend from Germany that either walks,rides her bike or takes MARTA everywhere.She has not had a car since she has been here in 3 years.

Another friend is in residency and lives in a midtown highrise and also has not had a car for 2years.
He was born in Germany but he is of South Asian heritage and has lived in London also.
He walks everywhere and rides MARTA.

It was not that difficult but I admit its much easier in Philly.

The city core of Atlanta is growing faster than Philly's core and ranks just behind New Orleans as the fastest growing core.

We have this thing called the Beltline and it is proving to be just what Atlanta has needed to increase its walkability.
The Streetcar that will open in a few months has already shown much development around its route.
I daily experience urbanity in Atlanta.Just because you don't see does not mean it does not exist.
Once you get to know the city you quickly learn where everything is and how to get there.

Atlanta is a bigger metro.StubHub that you referring too is only for within the city of Atlanta and even still is no way to quantify which city has more events.
There are several national and international events that Philly lacks due to its close proximity to NYC and other cities.
Not to mention conventions like DragonCon that have more surrounding it than just the convention.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:39 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,133 times
Atlanta.

Lots more *overt* racism in the Philly area, esp. in the suburbs, than Atlanta. I would think long and hard about this if you plan to settle down some day and move to the suburbs.

Remember, Philly is much more blue-collar than Atlanta. Even those white collar professionals in the more expensive Philly suburbs come from mostly working-class beginnings, so more ornery; uncouth; and, yes, racist people in Philly overall than Atlanta.

Note: I don't use the term *nice* to describe the more expensive Philly suburbs because they're old and fairly dilapidated-looking compared to the nicer suburbs of Atlanta.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:55 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Atlanta.

Lots more *overt* racism in the Philly area, esp. in the suburbs, than Atlanta. I would think long and hard about this if you plan to settle down some day and move to the suburbs.

Remember, Philly is much more blue-collar than Atlanta. Even those white collar professionals in the more expensive Philly suburbs come from mostly working-class beginnings, so more ornery; uncouth; and, yes, racist people in Philly overall than Atlanta.

Note: I don't use the term *nice* to describe the more expensive Philly suburbs because they're old and fairly dilapidated-looking compared to the nicer suburbs of Atlanta.
Do you have any experience with Philly or the suburbs? What you write mostly holds no substance and you are not doing the OP any favors by speaking about cities and areas you have no knowledge of. Racism can be experienced anywhere but I doubt a state like Georgia has less overt racism than Philly-overt racism is rare anywhere. Also, there is a lot more wealth in the Philly area than Atlanta and not everyone is from working class backgrounds-although that would be highly impressive. And not everyone from a working class background is uncouth nor are all rich people well-mannered-although that is highly offensive and shows the kind of person you are.

I also find it hilarious and ironic that you think Philly's suburbs are "dilapidated-looking". Those older homes will still be around when the crappy new homes are truly dilapidated. Don't worry Philly has new construction too-if a cheap wood frame, shotty stucco , water damage and mold are your thing. I prefer brick and stone myself.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 06-07-2014 at 08:14 AM..

Old 06-07-2014, 08:08 AM

4,511 posts, read 4,043,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Atlanta is a bigger metro. StubHub that you referring too is only for within the city of Atlanta and even still is no way to quantify which city has more events.
And Philly just ends at the end of it's city limits? How was someone going to get to all those Atlanta events? car? When the # is 4x another city I think it's not a tie anymore.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
The city core of Atlanta is growing faster than Philly's core and ranks just behind New Orleans as the fastest growing core.
That's because the core of Philly is already built out. Everything in Philly being built now is just infill or new towers and denser buildings replacing shorter rowhomes or buildings.

Quote:
Atlanta is a bigger metro.
Way to try to sneak that in there haha. Except it's not. Philadelphia Metro has about 500,000 people on Atlanta.

Philadelphia MSA- 6,034,678
Atlanta MSA- 5,522,942

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tistical_Areas

Old 06-07-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Atlanta.

You seem to be misinformed. Philly has some of the best and most beautiful suburbs this country has to offer. However, this is completely off topic since the OP is looking for a dense walkable urban area. Something Philly offers more than Atlanta. MUCH MORE.

As for the working class thing. You do realize there is a lot of old money in Philly right? Railroad money, industry money. People who have been rich for centuries. Some decades, some CENTURIES. The Main Line, Rittenhouse Square. These are some of the best examples of Old Money in the United States. Atlanta is mostly new money.

Cities with the most millionaires in the US. Philly ranks 7th. Atlanta doesn't rank.
10 US Cities With The Most Millionaires - Business Insider

100 Wealthiest U.S. Countes- Atlanta has two. Philadelphia? Five.

30 Forsyth County, Georgia
40 Chester County, Pennsylvania
51 Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
60 Fayette County, Georgia
61 Burlington County, New Jersey
66 Gloucester County, New Jersey
70 Bucks County, Pennsylvania

List of highest-income counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, when you look at the populations of these counties, it shows you just how truly wealthier the Philly MSA really is.

Montgomery County, Pennsylvania- 799,874
Bucks County, Pennsylvania- 625,249
Chester County, Pennsylvania- 498,886
Burlington County, New Jersey- 448,734
Gloucester County, New Jersey- 288,288
Forsyth County, Georgia- 187,928
Fayette County, Georgia- 106,567

It's easier to remain wealthy when you have such a small population. It's harder to remain wealthy when you have half a million+ in population.

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 06-07-2014 at 09:07 AM..

Old 06-07-2014, 09:05 AM

93,263 posts, read 123,898,066 times
If you are Black and want suburbs with diversity/decent amount of Black folks, I'd say that Cheltenham is the best choice, with some places in Delaware and Chester County like Media and West Chester, among others. So, the OP would have options in that regard.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:27 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Atlanta.

LOL. Well dear me, I hadn't realized that the entire white-collar citizenry of Atlanta was so historically well-off, with no need for upward mobility -- unlike those gauche Philadelphians, right?

Philadelphia has long transitioned into a service-based, knowledge economy -- like the rest of the nation. In fact, the Philly metro has a slightly greater white-collar jobs base (on a percentage basis, not only raw numbers) than Atlanta.

Please consult the below statistics:

Los Alamos leads U.S. rankings of white-collar jobs - The Business Journals

Quote:
I think it's safe to say you've never stepped foot in the Philly suburbs, since that couldn't be further from the truth.

Last edited by Duderino; 06-07-2014 at 10:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City