Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 04:32 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Cheesecake Factory to some Americans doesn't stand out because they know of it. To non-Americans who have travelled throughout the US, know it's American. So it was not unusual, it was TYPICAL to see it in a US city. Americans that don't know, will not be surprised by it because that kind of restaurant is found in every US city…again typical.
Why is a chain restaurant so important? Plenty of chains are regional. Other chains are international. New York City doesn't have a Cheescake Factory. Is it less typical based on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 04:39 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Why is a chain restaurant so important? Plenty of chains are regional. Other chains are international. New York City doesn't have a Cheescake Factory. Is it less typical based on that?
It's not so much that it's Cheesecake Factory ( I'm beginning to wish I never mentioned it by name ) it the fact that in a typical US city you expect to see chains like that. So in the context of comparing which US city is less or more typically American, the fact that Honolulu has this type of chain restaurant makes it a typical US city in that regard.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
I guess, judging by chains seems very superficial. Is the fact I see Tim Horton's a big factor in a place being typically Canadian? What happens when Tim Horton's opens American stores?

Old 07-01-2014, 04:46 PM

657 posts, read 801,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
There are a good amount of cities that can make compelling arguments to this claim, but here are my picks:

New Orleans
Miami and Tampa
Any city in Texas (Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, etc)
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Honolulu
Why are people saying Los Angeles, that city has to the be in the top five as the most American city.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:47 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
It's not so much in inclusion of certain stores, but also the exclusion.

Cheesecake Factory to some Americans doesn't stand out because they know of it. To non-Americans who have travelled throughout the US, know it's American. So it was not unusual, it was TYPICAL to see it in a US city. Americans that don't know, will not be surprised by it because that kind of restaurant is found in every US city…again typical.
That's why I mentioned it as an example of what I would expect to see in a typical US city.

It doesn't matter what other countries have as far as chains go when we are speaking about the US and it's cities only.
To argue against Cheesecake factory as not being a typical type American restaurant should be interesting.
You sort of missed the point of that post. I didn't argue anywhere that a Cheesecake Factory isn't some sort of average American franchise--though I had to look it up to actually figure out what you were talking about as I've never been to a bloody "Cheescake Factory" and it's not really some place I'm really familiar with. (Who goes to Cheesecake Factories, I have no idea)

You saw a Cheescake Factory in Waikiki. Waikiki is like the Fisherman's Wharf/Times Square/Disneyworld of Honolulu, it's not a place designed for locals, it's a place representative of mass tourist culture for mainland tourists. Just like there's Jimmy Buffet Margaritavilles in the tourist districts of Jamaican cities but that doesn't mean that if you drive down the road you'renot knee deep in Jamaican culture. Honolulu might not look completely different from US cities in terms of architecture minus the vegitation and landscaping(just like most Canadian cities don't look that different from US cities either in terms of architecture except for maybe Quebec City). Though there are cultural differences that are very evident in Honolulu and Hawaii from most US cities, I'm sorry if you feel differently...

There's chain businesses to some degree in every major US city, but it doesn't mean that certain cities and local cultures aren't unique. I get it, you want to make the point that no US city feels any less "American" or unique from any other city. You have a problem with the base idea of this thread. Good for you...

Last edited by Deezus; 07-01-2014 at 05:01 PM..

Old 07-01-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I guess, judging by chains seems very superficial. Is the fact I see Tim Horton's a big factor in a place being typically Canadian? What happens when Tim Horton's opens American stores?
Then it becomes typical if it spreads to enough US cities. However a doughnut shop is not atypical in a US city.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Then it becomes typical if it spreads to enough US cities. However a doughnut shop is not atypical in a US city.
Are saimin stands and shaved ice and plate lunches typical in most US cities?

Old 07-01-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
You sort of missed the point of that post. I didn't argue anywhere that a Cheesecake Factory isn't some sort of average American franchise--though I had to look it up to actually figure out what you were talking about as I've never been to a bloody "Cheescake Factory" and it's not really some place I'm really familiar with. (Who goes to Cheescake Factories, I have no idea)

You saw a Cheescake Factory in Waikiki. Waikiki is like the Fisherman's Wharf/Times Square/Disneyworld of Honolulu, it's not a place designed for locals, it's a place representative of mass tourist culture for mainland tourists. Just like there's Jimmy Buffet Margaritavilles in the tourist districts of Jamaican cities but that doesn't mean that if you drive down the road you're knee deep in Jamaican culture. Honolulu might not look completely different from US cities in terms of architecture minus the vegitation and landscaping(just like most Canadian cities don't look that different from US cities either in terms of architecture except for maybe Quebec City). Though there are cultural differences that are very evident in Honolulu and Hawaii, I'm sorry if you feel differently...

There's chain businesses to some degree in every major US city, but it doesn't mean that certain cities and local cultures aren't unique. I get it, you want to make the point that no US city feels any less "American" or unique from any other city. You have a problem with the base idea of this thread. Good for you, but perhaps then you should stick to discussing the overpriced real estate bubble and Chinese Communist Party retirement home of a city that you live in...
I'm not sure what is so difficult to understand here. Regardless of the name of the restaurant, it was the kind of restaurant that is typical in US cities. So, when comparing Honolulu to other so called typical US cities, it was not unusual to find that type of restaurant there…and others typical US restaurants.
What WOULD of made Honolulu atypical would be the LACK of any US style restaurants.

As for the uniqueness of a place, well yes places can be unique of course, but being unique only wins the argument if the quality of uniqueness didn't exist in other US cities.

Your comments about Vancouver are silly.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Are saimin stands and shaved ice and plate lunches typical in most US cities?
Saimin is available elsewhere. Shave Ice as well, we call them Sno Cones in Canada, or Mr. Freeze when you buy them is a tube. However many, many places offer food that is not popular of offered in other US cities. It's not enough to make a city atypical.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Saimin is available elsewhere. Shave Ice as well, we call them Sno Cones in Canada, or Mr. Freeze when you buy them is a tube. However many, many places offer food that is not popular of offered in other US cities. It's not enough to make a city atypical.
So no US city is atypical or could ever be any different from another one. Okay you win. Every place is the same, there's no nuance of distinction between anywhere in the US.

By the same rationale there's nothing distinct about any Canadian city, they all have "Canadian-style restaurants"(to paraphrase you). Though Canadian restaurants are basically no different from US ones(with a lot of the same franchises), so I guess you could say that Canadian cities are typically have little different from US ones...

Last edited by Deezus; 07-01-2014 at 05:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City