Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 02:20 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times

Advertisements

I've never been in an Earthquake, but I know one thing, hurricanes and tornadoes kill more people down South, than earthquakes kill folks in California. Wasn't the last deadly earthquake in California the 1994 Northridge Quake? Those freak ice storms in the South last year, did more chaos than any earthquake in the last 20yrs. Did you guys forget how it was around January/February this year in Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh and DC? When was the last work-stopping, transportation halting, earthquake in CA? I know the Bay Area quake from last month halted light-rail lines in the South Bay for only like a couple of hours(I think there was supposed to be a 49ers pre-season game at Levi's Stadium that day also). Hurricanes, Tornadoes and Ice-storms have done way more damage in the South in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 02:23 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I've never been in an Earthquake, but I know one thing, hurricanes and tornadoes kill more people down South, than earthquakes kill folks in California. Wasn't the last deadly earthquake in California the 1994 Northridge Quake?
Much rather be in an earthquake for less than 10 sec and go about my day, then be in a storm where tornados or Ice storms jam the city up.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:29 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Much rather be in an earthquake for less than 10 sec and go about my day, then be in a storm where tornados or Ice storms jam the city up.
That's what I said. It was Snowmaggedon down here, at the beginning of 2014. Total chaos. When was the last work-stopping, transportation halting, earthquake in CA? I know the Bay Area quake from last month halted light-rail lines in the South Bay for only like a couple of hours(I think there was supposed to be a 49ers pre-season game at Levi's Stadium that day also).

Old 09-09-2014, 02:37 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,707 times
Quote:
That's what I said. It was Snowmaggedon down here, at the beginning of 2014. Total chaos. When was the last work-stopping, transportation halting, earthquake in CA? I know the Bay Area quake from last month halted light-rail lines in the South Bay for only like a couple of hours(I think there was supposed to be a 49ers pre-season game at Levi's Stadium that day also).
In LA it was '94, but even then things were kind of normal ( besides the 10 freeway collapse) the next day. If it snows it ATL, because the snow turns into Ice, the whole city will shut down for a day or two. I had Friends who were stuck on the I-285 for hours last winter, while I was at the beach. People like 4 seasons, I do too, and it's one of the things I miss about ATL. However, winter is fun for 2 week & summer is like a sauna. I'll take LA weather all day everyday over anywhere outside of SoCal.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:01 PM

5 posts, read 9,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycich View Post
Why Atlanta? I advise looking at some other cities.
My friend told me that moving to Atlanta was the best decision he's made. He told me Atlanta's AA clubs are superior.

Are there any better cities for black nightlife than Atlanta or LA??

Old 09-09-2014, 03:08 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,829 times
Quote:
I've never been in an Earthquake, but I know one thing, hurricanes and tornadoes kill more people down South, than earthquakes kill folks in California. Wasn't the last deadly earthquake in California the 1994 Northridge Quake? Those freak ice storms in the South last year, did more chaos than any earthquake in the last 20yrs. Did you guys forget how it was around January/February this year in Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh and DC? When was the last work-stopping, transportation halting, earthquake in CA? I know the Bay Area quake from last month halted light-rail lines in the South Bay for only like a couple of hours(I think there was supposed to be a 49ers pre-season game at Levi's Stadium that day also). Hurricanes, Tornadoes and Ice-storms have done way more damage in the South in recent years.
Please, tell me the last time someone was killed by a tornado in Atlanta. Hurricanes don't even hit Atlanta so I don't know why you even mentioned them.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:10 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestBangBuck View Post
My friend told me that moving to Atlanta was the best decision he's made. He told me Atlanta's AA clubs are superior.

Are there any better cities for black nightlife than Atlanta or LA??
Whatever your scene is, when it comes to Black nightlife, Atlanta will almost certainly do it better. DC is a good choice too but it's about as expensive as LA. You could look into Houston and Dallas as well.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:14 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
You're putting words in my mouth. I never said it was an abysmal excuse for a city. I'm sure it's a solid city with some nice opportunities, but it's just not on LA's level and the cost of living reflects that.
Someone did say that, but I apologize if it wasn't you.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:28 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
A regular grocery store. I'm not talking about farmers markets or anything like that. The difference between a krogers and Ralph's. Grocery shopping is cheaper and the food is fresher.
And you have WHAT data to back this up? None, I presume.

You do realize that RALPH'S is owned by KROGER? No, you probably didn't know that ...

Old 09-09-2014, 03:31 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And I'll take the occasional, predictable ice storm over the occasional, unpredictable earthquake but that's just me.
LOL. That's funny.

Anytime we drag cost into the equation, Atlanta will usually win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City