Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 06:42 AM

206 posts, read 260,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post
What does prostitutes being in both cities?It's prostitutes everywhere if you look at it.
Just trying to get us back on topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 12:24 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,659,230 times
I've lived in both, and if I had to choose between LA or Atlanta, I'd pick LA, for sure.

Atlanta is too Southern for my tastes--lots of racism, holy-jumping, and Bible-thumping. Too much "Bubba talk," too, esp. in the outlying areas. Conservative, myopic perspectives abound. Unhealthy lifestyles--lots of fried/fast food with little emphasis on organic eating and physical activity. Ghettos are more dangerous those of LA, IMO. Horrible weather--humid summers and cold/icy winters plus awful seasonal allergies. People who move there for bigger homes from places like CA, NY, NJ, FL, etc. are usually the ultra-materialistic type who want a material-rich life. Please.

Remember, if one place is more expensive than another or--in the case of LA--than most, there's usually a few pretty good reasons why.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:12 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,994,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I've lived in both, and if I had to choose between LA or Atlanta, I'd pick LA, for sure.

Atlanta is too Southern for my tastes--lots of racism, holy-jumping, and Bible-thumping. Too much "Bubba talk," too, esp. in the outlying areas. Conservative, myopic perspectives abound. Unhealthy lifestyles--lots of fried/fast food with little emphasis on organic eating and physical activity. Ghettos are more dangerous those of LA, IMO. Horrible weather--humid summers and cold/icy winters plus awful seasonal allergies. People who move there for bigger homes from places like CA, NY, NJ, FL, etc. are usually the ultra-materialistic type who want a material-rich life. Please.

Remember, if one place is more expensive than another or--in the case of LA--than most, there's usually a few pretty good reasons why.
I like LA better than ATL too but this is a gross generalization of ATL.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:33 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,219,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Agreed.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:55 PM

7 posts, read 8,544 times
Atlanta's on another planet for black scene.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:33 PM

12 posts, read 15,572 times
Quote:

I'm from Alabama and me and my southern family and friends (spanning from Memphis, Jackson, Birmingham and my hometown of Anniston, AL) always viewed ATL not "southern" enough currently. Especially from what the researching and hearing some of my buddies experiences who went to college down there for his first 2 years (Which they are from Ohio, so this should definitely mean something for someone without southern roots). This is not a necessarily a "bad" thing, cause of course ATL does contain some of it's Southern roots, but it's definitely more modern, diverse, and progressive than most of the South. I assume this is the reason for it's "southerness" slowly disappearing, compared to city such as Memphis, Birmingham etc.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:04 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,215,930 times
Quote:

I also prefer LA. But your comments are wrong. Atlanta is a liberal city--everywhere has racists, but unless you're talking the far out reaches of the suburbs of the metro Atlanta area, I can't imagine there being many racists, or religious, homophobic-type conservatives. A lot of minorities and LGBT people live there--this wouldn't be the case if Atlanta was how you're describing it. I'll give you the hot, humid summers, but Atlanta winters aren't that cold and icy. You make it sound like New York City, lol. Atlanta does have some cold, snowy days, but normally their winters are more like an autumn in New York City, temperature wise--55F during the day, 30sF or sometimes lower at night. Frost, yes, a light dusting of snow? Yes, but it melts away very quickly. Normally there is not a ton of ice or blizzards that move through the area. But this could change with global warming.

Atlanta has a growing food scene. Sure there is a lot of fried food-it is the South. But you have many options-vegetarian and vegan places, ethnic eats, bars and pubs, etc. Besides, you don't ALWAYS have to eat organic food, just as you don't ALWAYS have to eat fried food. Just eat those things in moderation. Trying new foods is interesting and you can learn something new from it. Besides, who really cares if other people aren't exercising and eating unhealthily? As long as they aren't forcing fried foods down your throat or stopping you from going to the gym, it shouldn't affect you. Live YOUR life.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:34 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I also prefer LA. But your comments are wrong. Atlanta is a liberal city--everywhere has racists, but unless you're talking the far out reaches of the suburbs of the metro Atlanta area, I can't imagine there being many racists, or religious, homophobic-type conservatives. A lot of minorities and LGBT people live there--this wouldn't be the case if Atlanta was how you're describing it. I'll give you the hot, humid summers, but Atlanta winters aren't that cold and icy. You make it sound like New York City, lol. Atlanta does have some cold, snowy days, but normally their winters are more like an autumn in New York City, temperature wise--55F during the day, 30sF or sometimes lower at night. Frost, yes, a light dusting of snow? Yes, but it melts away very quickly. Normally there is not a ton of ice or blizzards that move through the area. But this could change with global warming.

Atlanta has a growing food scene. Sure there is a lot of fried food-it is the South. But you have many options-vegetarian and vegan places, ethnic eats, bars and pubs, etc. Besides, you don't ALWAYS have to eat organic food, just as you don't ALWAYS have to eat fried food. Just eat those things in moderation. Trying new foods is interesting and you can learn something new from it. Besides, who really cares if other people aren't exercising and eating unhealthily? As long as they aren't forcing fried foods down your throat or stopping you from going to the gym, it shouldn't affect you. Live YOUR life.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:22 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,219,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I second that.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:30 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,143,170 times
I swear 8to32 copies and pastes the same comment in every thread related to Atlanta, Houston, or Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City