Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: san franscisco vs san diego vs los angeles 2013-2014 (poll)
San franscisco 47 34.81%
San diego 31 22.96%
Los angeles 57 42.22%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 02:39 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles
San Francisco

and San Diego would be a distant third. Nice city but a little too sleepy and suburban for me. Doesn't really feel like a big city. Feels more like a small town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 07:05 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,497 times
God...This thread is mostly SF people who think that SF is the best place and LA people that think LA is the best place. As somebody who's spent a lot of time in both, they are both great for completely different reasons...just don't tell somebody from the Bay that.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:03 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,795,503 times
I've experienced all three cities and love them all. In the order in which I would live, it would be:

Los Angeles
San Diego
San Francisco.

I love SF, but I prefer Southern California to Northern California.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:08 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,068,190 times
I choose other: Fresno

Old 09-24-2014, 09:25 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Proximity to LA is not a plus for San Diego.
With the exception of having to drive through LA to get to SD from the Bay Area, I actually think proximity to LA is a plus. It offers pretty much more to see and do than any other city in the country other than NYC and is a day/weekend trip away from SD. I enjoyed being able to take advantage of the amenities of LA but could still be back at home the same night. One of the things I don't like about the Bay Area is how it's not near any other large interesting cities and feels isolated in a way.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:04 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I don't blame or even doubt those who disagree. But, I happily pay the SF premium over LA and find it to be a good value where these two cities are concerned. It is certainly a good value compared to Pasadena.

San Diego is a step closer to SF in desirability for me on many fronts, but lacks too much to consider it for more than just a visit.
Not sure if this is supposed to be a shot at Pasadena - but either way Pasadena offers pretty good value as far as the LA area goes - very walkable, Downtown-and-Hollywood proximate and transit-friendly and a lot less than similar areas on the Westside. I actually have a good reference to rents in Pasadena (and most of Los Angeles in general) vs San Francisco - my brother paid the same amount for a studio in the 'Loin as we do for a 2BR within a short walk from Old Town, South Lake and the Playhouse Districts and a 20 minute train ride to DTLA.

If it's a pot-shot, I get it - you're a transplanted San Franciscan who feels the need to justify those insane rents (which you are undoubtedly helping to balloon).

Sucks for people like me who now can't even afford a place in Berkeley or North Oakland (Pasadena's Bay Area equivalents IMO) because the middle-class has been completely pushed out of San Francisco and has now taken to the East Bay. I am contemplating a move to the East Bay or elsewhere in Los Angeles and comparing the rents of apartments in the two areas, it is staggering how over-priced the Bay Area is in general. Great region, one of the best in the country but even the suburbs are ridiculously expensive.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:16 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,917 times
SF folks are a bit testy because their fraud NFL team is collapsing :P Sorry about that, I don't like the Niners all too much.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:55 PM

18 posts, read 27,885 times
San Diego has no business being compared to either SF or LA. As far as which one is best between SF or LA, it really depends on what you like....If you're in to beaches or nightlife than it's LA, SF probably has more individual niches that would attract a more diverse crowd than LA, but you can't go wrong with either city.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:04 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Have2TryHard View Post
San Diego has no business being compared to either SF or LA. As far as which one is best between SF or LA, it really depends on what you like....If you're in to beaches or nightlife than it's LA, SF probably has more individual niches that would attract a more diverse crowd than LA, but you can't go wrong with either city.
Please explain....

Old 10-26-2014, 08:09 PM

18 posts, read 27,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Please explain....
I mean it has more diverse entertainment, food, culture, women, demographics, and in a lot of ways it's just a much raunchier city than LA. All of those variants will attract a much more diverse crowd than LA, and really any city in the U.S. with the exception of a few, maybe NYC and Miami?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City