Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 10:56 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times

Advertisements

Las Vegas: It should have been listed lol.. out of these I would say Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 02:14 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,434 times
Two words:

Puppet Bike.

Puppet Bike - YouTube

Puppet Bike - YouTube

Old 10-09-2014, 06:10 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Live entertainment in the form of musical acts, independent acting (on the spot), on the spot art drawing / painting, performances and shows, so on.

Which of the four cities has the most entertaining and memorable live entertainment scene?

Pictures are welcome.

Your question kind of throws me off in the middle there...On the spot drawing?? on the spot independent acting?? Like you might want to differentiate examples. Are these very common in most major cities? I can go to Six Flags and stumble across an artist sketching peoples faces. Now with musical acts and performance/shows/festivals I understand you. IMO almost every major city has other forms of street entertainment whether it be drummers or bands or groups performing on a downtown strip or subway station. But even in NY or LA I don't randomly stumble across "independent acting" and probably rarely "on the spot art drawing" in the streets...Does it happen yes. I think I'm just not taking the question the right way.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:46 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I can go to Six Flags and stumble across an artist sketching peoples faces.
Think of somewhere like Boston Commons or the Boston Public Gardens, have you been? I'll just assume you have. Gorgeous parks that flow into gorgeous neighborhoods. It's pretty typical to see oil painters or people drawing or sketching there and also common to see them sell their stuff.

This is happening live, thus it's inclusion into live entertainment. Sure, everywhere has stuff like this, difference is not everywhere has the size and scale or even the more distinctive live entertainment.

See you don't really have to go anywhere near a wasteland like Six Flags amusement parks to find talent that can draw a "sketch of peoples faces." In some of America's top cities you can find these sort of people in public spaces / green spaces / independent coffee houses, Speak-easies, so on.

Acting can be anything. Technically it's primarily putting on some sort of show, which regardless of stage and setting most of these characters usually do. It can be someone trying to do break-dance performances live somewhere at some park or bus stop or train station or street corner or where ever. It can be live performances and skits at boutique restaurants or mariachis and stuff like that. You didn't get this because you're looking too seriously into such a simple question.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:58 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Canada is smaller than California and while I would generally agree with your assessment, actually, as far as the arts, Montreal is more apparently more eventful than Toronto.
GAWC: Global Arts Centers Ranking
Don't get this link - I mean Toronto lower than Miami and Santa Monica as a global arts center lol... hmmm. Have a hard time believing Montreal has a greater overall arts scene than Toronto. Do you have a complete GAWC list of global arts centers and specifically where Toronto ranks vs other N.A/global cities? The link you posted doesn't seem complete. I do know that Toronto has a much larger creative arts industry than Montreal and is third largest in N.A after NYC and L.A..

According to a vital signs report by the Toronto Star - Toronto has 66 percent more artists than any other Canadian city. This isn't surprising to Canadians since it has most nationally based arts and culture venues in it ie. Canadian Opera Company, National Ballet of Canada, the 1st and 2nd largest Museums in the country in addition to as I said before, the 3rd largest English theatre scene in the world - even our festivals are larger ie Caribbean festival, Gay Pride, TIFF - Montreal doesn't have such equivalents.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/vita...ity_doing.html

As for Canada being smaller than California in population and GDP, that is true but California is by far the most populous and powerful state in the U.S so it doesn't necessarily detract from Toronto's importance to the country either economical or culturally.. California would rank as the 10th largest economy in the world just below Italy and just ahead of India, Canada and Australia if it were its own country to put things into perspective about its importance.

Last edited by fusion2; 10-09-2014 at 11:37 PM..

Old 10-10-2014, 08:00 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Don't get this link - I mean Toronto lower than Miami and Santa Monica as a global arts center lol... hmmm. Have a hard time believing Montreal has a greater overall arts scene than Toronto. Do you have a complete GAWC list of global arts centers and specifically where Toronto ranks vs other N.A/global cities? The link you posted doesn't seem complete. I do know that Toronto has a much larger creative arts industry than Montreal and is third largest in N.A after NYC and L.A..

According to a vital signs report by the Toronto Star - Toronto has 66 percent more artists than any other Canadian city. This isn't surprising to Canadians since it has most nationally based arts and culture venues in it ie. Canadian Opera Company, National Ballet of Canada, the 1st and 2nd largest Museums in the country in addition to as I said before, the 3rd largest English theatre scene in the world - even our festivals are larger ie Caribbean festival, Gay Pride, TIFF - Montreal doesn't have such equivalents.

Vital Signs Report, Toronto Foundation: How is the city doing? | Toronto Star

As for Canada being smaller than California in population and GDP, that is true but California is by far the most populous and powerful state in the U.S so it doesn't necessarily detract from Toronto's importance to the country either economical or culturally.. California would rank as the 10th largest economy in the world just below Italy and just ahead of India, Canada and Australia if it were its own country to put things into perspective about its importance.
Why do you have a hard time believing that? I certainly have seen far more work coming from Montreal than Toronto. Miami probably has a lot to do with Art Basel and all the mini-basels that have popped out from it. Santa Monica is stranger since I associate that more with LA's tech and design firms.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:31 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Why do you have a hard time believing that? I certainly have seen far more work coming from Montreal than Toronto. Miami probably has a lot to do with Art Basel and all the mini-basels that have popped out from it. Santa Monica is stranger since I associate that more with LA's tech and design firms.
Yeah, Montreal seemed to be more of an artsy city than Toronto to me. Live entertainment-like concerts and things Toronto probably has more though. Montreal reminded me of Philly actually-in that public art is all over the place.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:34 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Think of somewhere like Boston Commons or the Boston Public Gardens, have you been? I'll just assume you have. Gorgeous parks that flow into gorgeous neighborhoods. It's pretty typical to see oil painters or people drawing or sketching there and also common to see them sell their stuff.
Cambridge too-Harvard Square.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:48 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Quote:
Why do you have a hard time believing that? I certainly have seen far more work coming from Montreal than Toronto.
Absolutely - I don't know any 3rd party who'd disagree, really. Montreal has better civic support, and certainly better artists/music overall. I'm not sure if some of this has to do with the outsized Euro influence or what, but it exists.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:51 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
I think I've outlined the reasons why in my post. Which type of work are you referring to? It appears there are a lot more people employed as artists in Toronto than in Montreal - 66 percent more as per my link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City