Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 02:08 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,785,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I would say Atlanta. There seems to be a rivalry of inside the I-285 beltway locally known as the perimeter, and outside of it (ITP vs. OTP). The people that live in those areas seem to be polar opposites from each other.
Online yes but in real life no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 03:08 PM

9,682 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcgrath View Post
Seattle. Lots of people in Seattle hate the suburbs such as Tacoma
Tacoma is not a suburb.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:05 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
I don't know about "worst", but I do know that Inner-Loop Houston has always been pretty heavily at odds with the rest of the city/metro outside loop 610. I think that may have lightened a bit since gentrification efforts began in the 90's, but there's still quite a schism between inner-loop and outer-loop Houston. Much of it is political in nature.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:14 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,506 times
NYC vs Northern NJ

Baltimore vs its suburbs

Old 11-15-2014, 10:25 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
Detroit, Detroit, Detroit, and oh yea... DETROIT!!! It's relationship is getting better though from my generation (the young crowd). The old heads are really the problem for the most part.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:27 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Kansas City for sure. Outdated views regarding the "dangerous city" and the suburbs don't want to cooperate with anything perceived to benefit the city such as light rail. KC is JUST NOW getting a street car system. Also have suburbs on the KS side actively trying to poach jobs from the city and move them to the suburbs via tax breaks/subsidies. It's a mess. KC has the potential to be light years ahead of where it's at but all the infighting holds it back. No collective responsibility on a metropolitan level.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:31 AM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Tacoma is not a suburb.
Yeah true its not, Tacoma is a blue collar city 35 miles away and its urban settlement is as old as Seattle's. I think Bellevue and Seattle butt heads more often.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:50 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
The only cities that probably have a good relationship with their suburbs are probably the wealthy cities like NYC that have residents that live and work in the city and also have a second home in the suburbs. I could see Chicago and Los Angeles possibly having that type of relationship as well.

All the other cities probably have sour relationships with their suburbs.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:46 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
The only cities that probably have a good relationship with their suburbs are probably the wealthy cities like NYC that have residents that live and work in the city and also have a second home in the suburbs. I could see Chicago and Los Angeles possibly having that type of relationship as well.

Think you may be right, since there is a pretty high number of rather wealthy people living in the heart of downtown.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:51 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post

I agree about NYC. However, in L.A. it's a little more complicated. When I lived there, some of the older, closer-in suburbs (Pasadena, Alhambra, Montebello, Glendale, the South Bay, the SFV) were looked at favorably by Angelenos and had a good relationship with the city, but the further-out exurbs like those in Orange County and the Inland Empire were pretty much despised. And the feeling coming from those exurbs was generally mutual. Especially Orange County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City