Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2014, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,020 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!
So I know the best way to know which fits best with me is to visit these places, but I'm not sure if I have the time/funds to really go out and thoroughly go through these cities.
I currently live in Chicago and plan to move to one of these cities as soon as the new year. (Denver, Seattle, or Portland)
I am a 21y/o single male, and would really like a place with an active nightlife. I am not personally fond of clubs or anything like that, but I can go to a couple bars and have a good time and try and meet new people. If I said meeting a potential girlfriend wasn't on my list, then i'd be lying. I haven't had much luck in Chicago and would love to start fresh.
I would also like to find a nice/safe area close to a downtown so I would not have to drive a lot. Somewhere where its possible to walk to my job or to some shops/restaurants. I could afford no more than $1200 a month.
Also, weather isn't a huge problem for me. I feel like the horrible winters in Chicago have prepared me for whatever lol.
I've been trying to do a ton of research on my own to find a "perfect" place and would love some input from personal experience!
I know I have left out some important factors, so feel free to ask anything so we can figure out a good place together!
Thank you guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 04:00 PM

591 posts, read 821,136 times
Seattle has the most active nightlife out of the three, but it's hard to find a nice place for $1200 near downtown unless you get some roommates.

Portland has the most walkable downtown since it is very compact.

Last edited by dapper23; 11-20-2014 at 04:09 PM..

Old 11-20-2014, 10:10 PM

549 posts, read 1,559,717 times
All nice cities. Seattle is probably the most active of the three, and will remind you the most of Chicago, but it's quite expensive, and remote as far as the rest of the USA goes. Portland has an amazing downtown but is a relatively smaller town (less sports, etc.) and is extremely hipster. Both are very rainy, also. I may be biased having moved from Chicago to here, but I think Denver is the closest analogue. It's a big city, but has a walkable downtown; it's got a nice mix of restaurants, bars (it's a great beer town, though not at Portland's level), interesting stores, and museums; the train system runs in a "loop" downtown; and while it gets cold, it doesn't get as cold as Chicago. A lot of single young people are moving here - it's quite popular among millenials, and while it used to have more single men, or at least a reputation for that, it's changed considerably and there's now lots of single females. And, as a plus, unlike Portland and Seattle Denver is also only a two hour flight to Chicago, making visits home a snap.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:20 PM

172 posts, read 292,138 times
Portland has the most walkable Downtown of the three and a lot of great restaurants and bars. Seattle is the most vibrant and big-city feeling, with some very good concentrated nightlife districts. Denver is probably the sleepiest and sprawliest of the three, but it has much sunnier weather and an up and coming downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City