Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 08:26 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,443,716 times

Advertisements

Which city would you pick for the best dating prospects (long term) if you were

-Single white female
-had job offers in all three cities
-could move to any one of these

Looking forward to replies

Also, a question for those who had experience dating in Chicago. I did a search on "one of the famous dating websites" and there is twice as many single women in Chicago as there are singe men! Is that pretty accurate? That's sounds like a huge imbalance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 08:41 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,211 times
I'd say Denver. The city has a favorable men to women ratio. Fit men who love to go outdoors. Has a good economy. And are generally non douchey(Like LA men).

Old 12-12-2014, 11:10 PM

Thanks Hipcat.

Anyone had experience in Chicago? I'm leaning towards Chi-town but not if it has an abysmal dating scene...

Old 12-13-2014, 04:10 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
I'd say Denver. The city has a favorable men to women ratio. Fit men who love to go outdoors. Has a good economy. And are generally non douchey(Like LA men).
Ha! I love Denver. However, as a single guy, for the exact reason as above, LA is way better for me than Denver. A fit, outdoorsy, non douchey guy, I can stand out from the crowd better!!

Old 12-13-2014, 09:22 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Also, a question for those who had experience dating in Chicago. I did a search on "one of the famous dating websites" and there is twice as many single women in Chicago as there are singe men! Is that pretty accurate? That's sounds like a huge imbalance.
That's not true, but Chicago has the 2nd smallest percentage of married women and third lowest percentage of married men out of all cities 1+ million people (Philadelphia is #1 in both). In the end, it depends on what your style is. if you want to date around and whatever, then i'd pick either LA or Chicago. The dating scenes in larger cities like that are much different than smaller cities and depending on who you are could be either great, or frustrating as hell. The one thing Chicago has going for it is that it has a number of people who just want to date without a relationship, but it also has a lot of people who do want the relationship.

If you're at least marginally average or above in attractiveness as a female, then finding a date in either LA or Chicago would be easy. Cities like LA, Chicago, and NYC are more bipolar with their dating than cities like Denver. I had a girl approach me in NYC, give me her number, agree to a date with me and still flaked out on me if that gives you any indication of what I'm talking about. These types of things would not be uncommon in Chicago either and while it may **** off some people, it wouldn't surprise many people if they heard it happened to a friend of theirs. I don't know about Denver, but in smaller cities in my personal experience, those things are less likely to happen.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
That's not true, but Chicago has the 2nd smallest percentage of married women and third lowest percentage of married men out of all cities 1+ million people (Philadelphia is #1 in both). In the end, it depends on what your style is. if you want to date around and whatever, then i'd pick either LA or Chicago. The dating scenes in larger cities like that are much different than smaller cities and depending on who you are could be either great, or frustrating as hell. The one thing Chicago has going for it is that it has a number of people who just want to date without a relationship, but it also has a lot of people who do want the relationship.

If you're at least marginally average or above in attractiveness as a female, then finding a date in either LA or Chicago would be easy. Cities like LA, Chicago, and NYC are more bipolar with their dating than cities like Denver. I had a girl approach me in NYC, give me her number, agree to a date with me and still flaked out on me if that gives you any indication of what I'm talking about. These types of things would not be uncommon in Chicago either and while it may **** off some people, it wouldn't surprise many people if they heard it happened to a friend of theirs. I don't know about Denver, but in smaller cities in my personal experience, those things are less likely to happen.

Hmmm. That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Hmmm. That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid.
Why did you only highlight that first part and not the second? I think you missed my point completely, especially by not taking into account the second part of that sentence. The point is that there is a mix in Chicago - while there's people from all around the world there, there's many people from the Midwest who still have midwestern values with relationships and want something that actually means something. Out of the three major cities, it probably has the best mix of people who want to date with committment and those who want to date without comittment. I.e. it's perhaps a little easier to get into a relationship in Chicago versus NYC or LA.

[quote] The one thing Chicago has going for it is that it has a number of people who just want to date without a relationship, but it also has a lot of people who do want the relationship. [/qoute]

Old 12-13-2014, 10:39 AM

Thanks for clarifying what you meant marothisu.

Yeah, so far I'm leaning towards Chicago or Denver.

Chicago seems like a bigger and more cosmopolitan city which I like. Denver is great if you're into skiing and outdoors which I'm absolutely not. But it's just more convenient to move there from where I'm at right now, so that's why it's also an option. Especially if it has a good dating scene with lots of nice people to meet

I'm just trying to find a place where people will be down to earth, nice, polite and have decent values (I'm not religious but that's still important to me). Also I'd prefer a more cosmopolitan city being from NYC (moved from NY out to the West coast a while ago, and Europe before that)

Last edited by Flavia84; 12-13-2014 at 11:42 AM..

Old 12-13-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying what you meant marothisu.

Yeah, so far I'm leaning towards Chicago or Denver.

Chicago seems like a bigger and more cosmopolitan city which I like. Denver is great if you're into skiing and outdoors which I'm absolutely not. But it's just more convenient to move there from where I'm at right now, so that's why it's also an option. Especially if it has a good dating scene with lots of nice people to meet

I'm just trying to find a place where people will be down to earth, nice, polite and have decent values (I'm not religious but that's still important to me). Also I'd prefer a more cosmopolitan city being from NYC (moved from NY out to the West coast a while ago)
Yeah in that case I think between LA and Chicago. Chicago is an interesting case because certainly there are cosmopolitan parts (i.e. downtown) and then there's weird areas that have a more midwestern vibe and you'll find cosmopolitan things but 4 doors down could be a ****ty dive bar that would be like something you'd find in Hoboken (I'm talking specifically about the area of Lincoln Park and Lakeview - but they are wayy more cosmpolitan and varied than my example of Hoboken).

Out of LA and Chicago, Chicago is more like NYC than LA is but you still aren't going to feel like you're in NYC in 90% of Chicago or anything (there are parts of downtown that may feel like parts of Midtown for example, though). I think between those two cities, people are more down to earth on average in Chicago, but there's a lot of that in LA in reality too. Chicago is a weird mix of cosmpolitan, cool people, and people who are from small town midwest who don't know a ton about the world. Chicago usually votes Democrat and more liberal, but in reality the area is pretty moderate. People aren't afraid to speak their minds and try new things, but there's still a little bit of reserved-ness with some people. Society wise, you aren't going to find TONS of people who are dressed like they're from the year 2300 (you'll find some) but at the same time most people aren't going to care anyway even if they saw it. People are cool enough on average to not really give a **** what the other person is doing as long as it isn't hurting anyone or themselves.

Where on the West Coast do you currently live?

Old 12-14-2014, 12:45 AM

73 posts, read 156,369 times
Quote:
Which city would you pick for the best dating prospects (long term) if you were

-Single white female
-had job offers in all three cities
-could move to any one of these

Looking forward to replies

Is this a trick question? Dating prospects are great everywhere for all single white females. Women have to put almost no effort at all into dating, because unfortunately men are the ones forced to approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City