Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 05:42 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,558 times

Advertisements

[quote=SkyIsTheLimt;37982566]About the cool off point, ExxonMobil, Shell Oil, Chevron, National Oil Varco, Baker Hughes, BP America and Anadarko are among the top 15 employers in the Houston metro area.. When 7 out of the 15 biggest employers in the area are cooling off and are going through budget cuts and hiring freezes if not lay offs, think about the impact it would have on the economy of the metro area for the coming years. I can already feel the palpable fear when I talk to my friend working in the IT department of one of these Energy companies..

Atlanta gets cold during some days of the year but that's mostly limited to a few weeks of cold spells otherwise most of the time the weather is bearable compared to Houston. I had to travel several times to Houston in one of my previous gigs and the humidity there is unbearable and 6 months in an year the weather really sucks.

Also once you are in Houston you are stuck in the middle of nowhere transportation wise unless you are willing to fly..Atlanta on the other side is within driving distance to Florida, several parts of the midwest and the east coast..[/QUOTE.

. Houston is close to Baton Rouge and New Orleans, Dallas etc. Houston has worse summers but winter and fall is better in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyIsTheLimt View Post
About the cool off point, ExxonMobil, Shell Oil, Chevron, National Oil Varco, Baker Hughes, BP America and Anadarko are among the top 15 employers in the Houston metro area.. When 7 out of the 15 biggest employers in the area are cooling off and are going through budget cuts and hiring freezes if not lay offs, think about the impact it would have on the economy of the metro area for the coming years. I can already feel the palpable fear when I talk to my friend working in the IT department of one of these Energy companies..

Atlanta gets cold during some days of the year but that's mostly limited to a few weeks of cold spells otherwise most of the time the weather is bearable compared to Houston. I had to travel several times to Houston in one of my previous gigs and the humidity there is unbearable and 6 months in an year the weather really sucks.

Also once you are in Houston you are stuck in the middle of nowhere transportation wise unless you are willing to fly..Atlanta on the other side is within driving distance to Florida, several parts of the midwest and the east coast..
I'll take Houston over at anyday. I'll even take Savannah over Atlanta.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:36 AM

78 posts, read 131,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
I'll take Houston over at anyday. I'll even take Savannah over Atlanta.

Hmm.. You seem to be biased against Atlanta for some reason.. But from an economy, weather and transportation perspective I would pick Atlanta.. I don't have anything against Houston..

Old 01-12-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Hmm.. You seem to be biased against Atlanta for some reason.. But from an economy, weather and transportation perspective I would pick Atlanta.. I don't have anything against Houston..
Atlanta's economy is not better than Houston's. I don't have anything against atl. I just like other parts of Georgia better.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:44 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:

Also once you are in Houston you are stuck in the middle of nowhere transportation wise unless you are willing to fly..Atlanta on the other side is within driving distance to Florida, several parts of the midwest and the east coast..
Houston is driving distance from New Orleans, Dallas, Memphis, Ft Worth, Austin, and San Antonio.

And you had the temerity to try to call out another poster for being biased

Old 01-12-2015, 09:58 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
My vote would go to Atlanta.. Houston's economy is more dependent on energy sector and with the current drop in oil prices the local economy may cool off a little bit.. Atlanta on the other hand is coming back really strongly from the recession even though it was a little late in picking up..

Schools and colleges and Cost of living and Crime Rate is a tie..

Atlanta wins when it comes to weather.. Houston is too humid and hot for my liking..
That's a lie.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:00 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
About the cool off point, ExxonMobil, Shell Oil, Chevron, National Oil Varco, Baker Hughes, BP America and Anadarko are among the top 15 employers in the Houston metro area.. When 7 out of the 15 biggest employers in the area are cooling off and are going through budget cuts and hiring freezes if not lay offs, think about the impact it would have on the economy of the metro area for the coming years. I can already feel the palpable fear when I talk to my friend working in the IT department of one of these Energy companies..

Another Atlanta poster hating on Houston. Houston will cool off and still be in better shape than Atlanta.

You talk from an economic perspective? You do realize that Houston has gone through a few "cool offs" after the 80's right? The recent "cool off" before this one was in 2008-2009, and Houston still boomed and was on top economic wise. You tried it.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:33 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,876 times
OP, I sincerely hope that you were able to gather the information that you wanted. Here in city vs city, Atlanta and Houston can not be pit against each other without the gloves coming off.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Another Atlanta poster hating on Houston. Houston will cool off and still be in better shape than Atlanta.

You talk from an economic perspective? You do realize that Houston has gone through a few "cool offs" after the 80's right? The recent "cool off" before this one was in 2008-2009, and Houston still boomed and was on top economic wise. You tried it.

I am no hater of any particular city.. I was just presenting the facts about the present state of economy.. I am not predicting the long term economic future of Houston but for the next few months or years it will go through a cool off and the OP better move to a place where there is more hiring..

Old 01-12-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Houston is driving distance from New Orleans, Dallas, Memphis, Ft Worth, Austin, and San Antonio.

And you had the temerity to try to call out another poster for being biased
Still Atlanta covers a much larger population and towns/cities when it comes to driving distance compared to Houston..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City