Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 01:41 PM

12 posts, read 24,087 times

Advertisements

Hi, I live in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania. I am considering moving to a warmer place and thinking of Dallas, Tx or Raleigh, NC. I noticed in salary/cost of living comparator's etc that both Dallas and Raleigh has same cost of living. But NC has a almost 8% State income tax. How are these two areas has same cost of living when there is a almost 7-8% income tax difference itself. I thought it would be cheaper to move from this area as well but I only pay 4% income tax here. Please clearly tell me how Raleigh, NC would be cheaper and better place as mentioned in several calculators. Most of the websites say Raleigh would be 25% cheaper as compared to KOP, PA. Other than couple of hundred dollars in Rent, I didnt hear anything else cheaper there and on top of it, it has more income taxes. Please please clarify..It would help me decide whether to move to Dallas Tx or Raleigh NC. Please suggest. Thanks in advance for a detailed response. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 02:08 PM

59 posts, read 88,913 times
Property taxes in Texas are insane (which affects rent as well).

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:09 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,968,972 times
Texas shifts its tax burden from the upper and upper-middle classes to the poor by having no income tax and a high reliance on sales and property tax.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:19 PM

798 posts, read 1,035,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Texas shifts its tax burden from the upper and upper-middle classes to the poor by having no income tax and a high reliance on sales and property tax.
This. Texas can't get away with no income tax without getting the money some other way.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:36 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,125,643 times
No state can, but the poster is coming from PA, which is jless, but total tax is about the same. The overall cost of living in Texas is very low.
And how exactly does this switch the tax burden to the poor?? Most poor people dont own property. Rents are cheap.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:38 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
I dont think the cost of living is going to be much different between the two. Dallas is probably actually a little more in the more urban areas.

It doesnt really matter. Pick the one you like best. Dallas is much more diverse and big city, Raleigh is more charming and scenic.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
No state can, but the poster is coming from PA, which is jless, but total tax is about the same. The overall cost of living in Texas is very low.
And how exactly does this switch the tax burden to the poor?? Most poor people dont own property. Rents are cheap.
You think property tax has no effect on rental rates?

Old 07-15-2013, 09:24 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,125,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp377 View Post
You think property tax has no effect on rental rates?
Sure it does but yet rents are still cheap

Old 07-15-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Sure it does but yet rents are still cheap
No doubt about that - it's just something that many people will disregard if they don't plan to own property, which IMO is not economically sound. Those costs will get passed right onto renters. So high property taxes do affect renters (therefore this does apply tax burden to the poor).

But Raleigh is an expensive city comparably, before you even consider tax rates. More expensive than most major cities in Texas.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:37 AM

12 posts, read 24,087 times
Thank you all for your responses. So, based on the above, Raleigh NC is more expensive than Dallas, TX (say suburbs of Dallas). But weather is better in Raleigh. Raleigh is Scenic as compare to Dallas. I also read School Districts in Raleigh are better compared to Dallas. I didnt ever visited either Dallas or Raleigh so, don't know how to pick. So, trying to put together some key points to choose from. Please post any more views you may have. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City