Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sacramento vs Columbus vs Madison
Sacramento 31 45.59%
Columbus 13 19.12%
Madison 26 38.24%
Other (better, yet similar choice) 1 1.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 07:59 PM

6,888 posts, read 8,263,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Sacramento (downtown, midtown, old Sacramento) vs Columbus (German Village, Arena Dist., Campus, Downtown, Short N.)

Having lived in Columbus for a while I know it well and on the surface Sacramento seems similar (Midwestern meets Portland before it became the place to be), but I was wondering if that's really the case.

Here are the areas I'm interested in:

1. People. What are they like? How are they similar & different?

2. Sports. Is Sacramento sort of like Columbus minus the insanity of Buckeye's game day?
This is a brief trailer of the video, "Small Market, Big Heart", should give you an idea of what the video is about. The full video illustrates what the people in Sacramento are like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnhL9rmomsI

Two big attempts to "steal" Sacramento's NBA team, the last attempt was from the wealthy "snobby" city up north where it rains a lot - Seattle.

The first attempt from the the giant megaopolis of LA-Orange County (the city of Anaheim). This video illustrates how the Sacramento grass roots community saved our team from moving to Southern California.

This link is the full video, of "Small Market Big Heart" which shows you what the Sacramento Community is like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n5rkOb7dzc

Last edited by Chimérique; 04-01-2015 at 08:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 10:41 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times
Haven't been to Madison, but it does seem like a nice, slow paced town, a bit too slow paced, being overly reliant on the state government for its economy. Is that right?

Sacramento is also overwhelmingly a government and university town, not too much corporate activity going on for a city of its size.

Old 06-10-2020, 12:59 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,912,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Haven't been to Madison, but it does seem like a nice, slow paced town, a bit too slow paced, being overly reliant on the state government for its economy. Is that right?

Sacramento is also overwhelmingly a government and university town, not too much corporate activity going on for a city of its size.
You do know that the University of Wisconsin is in town, along with several large medical centers, a state medical school, and EPIC, in neighboring Middleton?!?

Old 06-10-2020, 02:03 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
I have never heard Madison called a slow-paced town....lol.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I have never heard Madison called a slow-paced town....lol.
But I've never heard it being called a cutting edge, innovative Silicon Valley of the Midwest either. In my mind, Silicon Valley is fast paced, but I guess few industries move as fast as tech, so that's kind of a high bar. Or NYC, because Wall Street changes by the second. But Madison? Please explain why it's fast paced.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:09 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Sacramento (downtown, midtown, old Sacramento) vs Columbus (German Village, Arena Dist., Campus, Downtown, Short N.)

I'm mainly interested in the inner city living aspects of the two areas and not the metros.

Having lived in Columbus for a while I know it well and on the surface Sacramento seems similar (Midwestern meets Portland before it became the place to be), but I was wondering if that's really the case.

Madison is a fairly big question mark to me having only spent two days there, but overall people seem to have a favorable view of the city. So I wondered how it stacked up with the other two.

Here are the areas I'm interested in:

1. People. What are they like? How are they similar & different?

2. Sports. Is Sacramento sort of like Columbus minus the insanity of Buckeye's game day?

3. Nightlife. Columbus has High St. Sacramento K St. (how big is that area anyway?) and Madison St. Street.

4. City beauty mixing with interesting architecture.

5. Culture in general.

6. What you get for the cost of living. Columbus wins this one hands down if you're only talking COL by itself. Sac & Madison seem comparable, but what more do you get for that higher cost?
1. I don't know where people get this Midwest thing about Sac. I've been to Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, and Kansas, and nothing even remotely reminded me of Sacramento, so I'd really love to know the specific Midwest places Sacramento seems like...

Sacramento is West Coast chill, really unique even in California. Slower paced, bunch of friendly people, kind of a mix of white and blue collar...

2. Sac probably isn't as sports-crazed as anywhere in the Midwest, but has a very large and strong fanbase. The Kings and Republic are the big league teams, Sac State sports are obviously not UW or OSU but are well supported, as are the River Cats...

3. Sacramento has surprisingly large nightlife. K St is absolutely popping, it's about a half-mile of bars, clubs, shopping, everything. DoCo is right there, Old Sac has nightlife. I'd imagine both Cbus and Madison have pretty good nightlife as well, I'm not sure Madison's would be as large as the other two...

4. Personally don't find Sacramento to be a particularly beautiful city or have strong architecture. It's not ugly, but it is somewhat vanilla on the architecture front...

5. Don't know how to answer this, kinda sounds like #1...

6. I don't know that Sac offers anything more than Cbus, I'd imagine they are pretty equal. It's hard to imagine that Madison, being 3½ times smaller, on the whole has offerings near the other two. My impression is that Madison has some strong suits relative to its size, but not comparable in depth to Cbus or Sac...

Madison's size and location rule it out for me instantly. I'm quite interested in Cbus and have a strong hunch I would like it. I love its location pretty much equidistant from the other large Ohio cities, then within 3½ hours you also have Indy, Louisville, Detroit, and Pittsburgh. That's a hard location to beat to me, as I love proximity to other large populated areas, so it handily beats Sac in that category if I'm comparing them on that...

That would possibly be the tipping point for me if all else was relatively equal between Columbus and Sacramento, which, I suspect they are. Sacramento's diversity and higher rates of income for blacks, rail transit, lower rates of crime and lower impoverishment amongst the black community would be missed, but if everything outside of that (education infrastructure, nightlife, urbanity, dining and retail options, etc) is fairly equal, Columbus's location probably wins out for me...

Old 06-10-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
You do know that the University of Wisconsin is in town, along with several large medical centers, a state medical school, and EPIC, in neighboring Middleton?!?
Um, aren't those university related institutions? I just said Madison is predominantly a government and state UNIVERSITY town. A university hospital is affiliated with the university.

Yes, there are private firms for sure, but Del Walmart said he moved away from Madison because the economy revolved around the government and the state university.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:24 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Um, aren't those university related institutions? I just said Madison is predominantly a government and state UNIVERSITY town. A university hospital is affiliated with the university.

Yes, there are private firms for sure, but Del Walmart said he moved away from Madison because the economy revolved around the government and the state university.
EPIC Systems is a software company based in Madison, with offices all over the world. Since a major university is located in Madison, and it's the capital of Wisconsin, wouldn't one expect that both of these things would be of primary importance? Madison is also one of the US cities with one of the highest percentage of college degrees, so a lot of smart people living in a city that is a small/medium sized city, probably wouldn't be there if they were bored. Those people have lots of options, and I'm guessing are there because they want to be. No city checks all the boxes. It, also, is an hour from Milwaukee, and a couple of hours from Chicago.

Last edited by Enean; 06-10-2020 at 02:34 PM..

Old 06-10-2020, 05:21 PM

23,521 posts, read 24,000,129 times
Sacramento.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City