Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LIST LEAST TO GREATEST OF A CHANCE TO BE THE NEXT HUB METRO IN THE SOUTH?
BIRMINGHAM-HOOVER AL 14 20.90%
MEMPHIS TN 15 22.39%
JACKSON MS 2 2.99%
JACKSONVILLE FL 36 53.73%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 09:09 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,984,656 times

Advertisements

To be honest it depends on what happens to CLT when the merger of AA/US starts taking shape. If a sizable percentage of flights get eliminated then good luck on economic growth at a substantial rate.

Companies will locate to a region that has nonstop services domestically and internationally. Charlotte is a large enough metro to maintain flights to most major cities but globally it will take a hit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 09:10 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,007 times
Metro Richmond hasn't struggled in 70 years. Growth rate may have been lower than its neighbors' but income, economic output, education attainment and GDP per capita have never suffered (higher than any of the other cities listed so far). The city of Richmond did decline then stagnate for most of the last 30 years. Set boundaries (in a city that was pretty much built out, if not up) and white flight really did a number. For the past few years the city has enjoyed a growth rate of 5%.

Raleigh's colleges are certainly better and Raleigh definitely did a better job of retaining the graduating students. That, as has been mentioned, is the biggest difference. Attitudes have changed around here though and more graduates are staying in Richmond (and children in the suburbs are being raised VCU fans thanks to a high profile basketball program). I never expected to see anyone wear VCU clothing (not even the students) much less tweens shuffling around the mall.

Speaking of kids, the median age in Richmond is pretty high (38 compared to Raleigh's 31 for example). Families are pretty small and large families aren't interested in what Richmond is selling. There is a pretty small Hispanic population too (their historically large families are shrinking too though). When a person or couple moves here, they don't bring a bunch of kids which effects the growth rate.

Now Nashville...nope. It isn't on any higher level. The metro is basically poor, unhealthy and uneducated (compared to places like Raleigh and Richmond) with some millionaires and flashy buildings making things appear better than they are.

Back to the point, from the list I'd bet on Jacksonville.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:11 PM

372 posts, read 450,279 times
I don't like that these are the only choices. But if I had to pick one I guess Jacksonville. But my other would be New Orleans.. Jackson? Seriously?

Old 03-24-2015, 11:01 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Jacksonville does have many built-in advantages, but it could do a lot better when it comes to being an attractive destination for tourists. There's nothing really there to lure tourists; most would rather head north to Savannah or south to Orlando. There's untapped potential there and I hope the city takes advantage of it. They can start with a state-of-the-art convention center, which for some reason they are slow to build.

Most people tend to compare Charlotte and Nashville to Atlanta and not vice versa, if you see what I mean.
I see what you mean, but I was referring to their regional proximity, not size. The same goes for Dallas, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:52 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Now Nashville...nope. It isn't on any higher level. The metro is basically poor, unhealthy and uneducated (compared to places like Raleigh and Richmond) with some millionaires and flashy buildings making things appear better than they are.
Lol, if Nashville is poor, unhealthy, and uneducated, then so is Richmond.

We have a bit more than "some millionaires and flashy buildings," but hey, if you want to continue to live in the past, go right ahead. That's exactly what has kept Richmond where it is.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:50 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,432,117 times
None of those. You are missing Orlando and Miami.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:01 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
None of those. You are missing Orlando and Miami.
They are already in the Atlanta-Nashville-Charlotte category.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:10 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,037,926 times
The Houston and Dallas metro is ahead of Atlanta. I guess that's why they were omitted.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:34 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
The Houston and Dallas metro is ahead of Atlanta. I guess that's why they were omitted.
As I mentioned earlier, it appears that the OP was only looking at Southeastern metros. Plus everyone doesn't view Texas as Southern.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:37 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXboi View Post
Not to sure Charlotte or Nashville should be placed with Atl especially when the Texas cities aren't.......also if those cities are grouped there I think places like Raleigh/Durham should be there as well while neither is as strong a central city as those 2 as a true metro area they are more then comparable with Nashville and Charlotte.
From a CSA perspective The Triangle (Raleigh/Durham) is already larger than Nashville, growing more rapidly and arguably more impactful from an economic perspective. When the Triangle was split into two MSA's 12 years ago, its visibility going forward was statistically diminished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City