Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2015, 01:26 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,075,318 times

Advertisements

With this thread going around....

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...cities-us.html

....I decided to do one on the states.

Whitest States in America:
1. Maine
2. Vermont
3. West Virginia
4. New Hampshire
5. North Dakota
6. Iowa
7. Montana
8. Kentucky
9. Wyoming
10. South Dakota

Least White States in America:
1. Hawaii
2. California
3. New Mexico
4. Texas
5. Nevada
6. Maryland
7. Georgia
8. Arizona
9. Florida
10. Mississippi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 07:25 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
I’m in Miami and I’m a white boy who is a minority in his own country—only 20% of the population here...actually, I need to identify myself as a white non-Hispanic in Miami because many Latinos here identify themselves as White—as in White Hispanic.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-16-2019 at 07:50 PM..

Old 03-16-2019, 07:41 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,205,379 times
The ten whitest states' urban areas are increasingly more diverse than many people would imagine, even if less so than other parts of the US. Looking at the enrollment in public schools of Manchester (NH), Des Moines (IA), or Louisville (KY), for example, there is a huge variety of backgrounds represented, even if the states as a whole are statistically fairly homogeneous.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:06 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
The ten whitest states' urban areas are increasingly more diverse than many people would imagine, even if less so than other parts of the US. Looking at the enrollment in public schools of Manchester (NH), Des Moines (IA), or Louisville (KY), for example, there is a huge variety of backgrounds represented, even if the states as a whole are statistically fairly homogeneous.
Outside of California, Texas and, to a lesser extent, Florida, most of the United States is very white, even if inner-city public school enrollment is statistically diverse on paper. The majority of people you observe at airports, concerts, sporting events, professional offices, etc. are still mostly white, even in larger, more southerly cities such as Charlotte and Nashville, for example. My hometown of Long Beach, CA has among the lowest share of non-Hispanic whites of any major city in the entire country, yet a plurality of law enforcement officers, teachers and crossing guards are white.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:26 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Yep, whites are a minority in Hawaii.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-18-2019, 12:39 AM

6,373 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Kind of surprised that Nevada is in the 10 least white states in the country - Reno doesn't feel particularly diverse or international compared to other cities I've been to. Of course, Nevada is famously empty outside the Reno/Carson/Tahoe and Vegas areas, so maybe the average state whose major cities feel as diverse as Nevada's do would actually be whiter in the aggregate, because its rural areas are much more populated than ours.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:17 PM

229 posts, read 217,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Kind of surprised that Nevada is in the 10 least white states in the country - Reno doesn't feel particularly diverse or international compared to other cities I've been to. Of course, Nevada is famously empty outside the Reno/Carson/Tahoe and Vegas areas, so maybe the average state whose major cities feel as diverse as Nevada's do would actually be whiter in the aggregate, because its rural areas are much more populated than ours.
Yeah the Vegas Metro Area is the reason why, although smaller cities in the state do have a larger than expected latino population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City