Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Athens GA or Knoxville TN?
Knoxville TN 20 42.55%
Athens GA 27 57.45%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 12:48 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,408,585 times

Advertisements

Which city would you prefer to live in? Climate, quality & cost of housing and neighborhoods, stuff to do, outdoor recreation, access to airport, overall vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 12:51 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Which city would you prefer to live in? Climate, quality & cost of housing and neighborhoods, stuff to do, outdoor recreation, access to airport, overall vibe.

Athens.Its closer a major city with lots to do.Knoxville is also little bit conservative even though there is a huge university there.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:59 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,017 times
I really like them both, but I'd probably go with Athens. It's nice being so close to a major city like Atlanta without actually being too close. I'd hate to live with all that Atlanta traffic. However, it seems like suburbs are gradually spreading closer and closer to Athens. It might be far into the future by the time Atlanta metro suburbs reach the Athens area, if that'll ever happen. Knoxville feels kinda isolated, and the overall area is still pretty conservative although I'm sure the actual city of Knoxville is more progressive. I do like the mountain/foothills setting of Knoxville, but even Athens isn't terribly far from the North Georgia and Western NC mountains. I've always liked Georgia, probably because it reminds me more of home (North Carolina).

Old 05-17-2015, 08:09 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,589,402 times
It's funny, Athens seemed verrry conservative when I lived there. I'd left Knoxville during the summer of streaking in the streets and it felt like I had stepped back into "Gone with the wind". Times change, don't they.

Knoxville is the clear winner on outdoor recreation and things to do. Climate as well, though that is subjective. I like that you have the option on the summer of going up in elevation for a cool nature day.

Athens has 5 points and more big beautiful mansions converted to student housing and Greek housing. Milledge ave is beautiful. In Knoxville most of the old mansions are inhabited by old money.

Knoxville has a better downtown: Market square, Old city: and Happy Holler. A bit more gritty so if you prefer a sanitized environment Athens is your town.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:30 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
It's funny, Athens seemed verrry conservative when I lived there. I'd left Knoxville during the summer of streaking in the streets and it felt like I had stepped back into "Gone with the wind". Times change, don't they.

Knoxville is the clear winner on outdoor recreation and things to do. Climate as well, though that is subjective. I like that you have the option on the summer of going up in elevation for a cool nature day.

Athens has 5 points and more big beautiful mansions converted to student housing and Greek housing. Milledge ave is beautiful. In Knoxville most of the old mansions are inhabited by old money.

Knoxville has a better downtown: Market square, Old city: and Happy Holler. A bit more gritty so if you prefer a sanitized environment Athens is your town.
Athens downtown is FAR better and more walkable than Knoxville's. You do realize that Athens is very near the mountains as well and it's very easy to have a "cool nature day" there too?

Been to both many times...Knoxville is way more conservative than Athens, and Athens is far from sanitized (whatever that even means).

Old 05-17-2015, 09:04 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,589,402 times
I think what you are saying by "walkable" is there are more neighborhoods adjacent to downtown in Athens? That's true. But it is very enjoyable to walk around DT Knoxville. Lots of stores, restaurants, bars, condos. 2 historic theaters and a new multi screen cinema.

I am curious - what incidents/events lead to your comment that Knoxville is way more conservative?

Where was your favorite mountain when you lived in Athens? Not being snarky, just curious.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I think what you are saying by "walkable" is there are more neighborhoods adjacent to downtown in Athens? That's true. But it is very enjoyable to walk around DT Knoxville. Lots of stores, restaurants, bars, condos. 2 historic theaters and a new multi screen cinema.

I am curious - what incidents/events lead to your comment that Knoxville is way more conservative?

Where was your favorite mountain when you lived in Athens? Not being snarky, just curious.
1. I like Knoxville, but Athens is much cooler in my opinion. Athens is a college town and very walkable for that reason. Knoxville is a city with a large university - not a college town.

2. No particular incident (does there have to be an incident?) but just an overall impression that Knoxville is much more conservative while Athens is much more progressive.

3. I didn't live in Athens, but have visited countless times. I said it's NEAR the mountains - there are obviously no mountains in Athens. It's an easy one-hour drive to Tallulah Gorge or any number of other beautiful areas in the North Georgia Mountains.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:11 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
Athens has the better downtown. When I was in Knoxville's downtown, nothing was there. The downtown is stuck in time with not much going on, which is really a shame considering the university is so close. Knoxville has the better metro area though, nice homes and rehabs are taking place all over the area. Athens is close to Atlanta, but alone, is a small town compared to Knoxville. Prefer to live in? Athens for sure.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:13 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,408,585 times
There have been some amazing bands that have come out of Athens...B-52's, REM and Widespread Panic come to mind. Has to be a decent music scene to produce this? Or maybe at one time there was, as those bands came out in the early 80's. Being a little over an hour to ATL would be nice for the airport access, I imagine there is a airport shuttle. The beach is closer to Athens, but it's further than I thought, 4hrs it looks to the coast.

Which has more affordable housing? Which has a nicer housing stock? Any difference in crime rates? Both have good college sports access.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Athens has the better downtown. When I was in Knoxville's downtown, nothing was there. The downtown is stuck in time with not much going on, which is really a shame considering the university is so close. Knoxville has the better metro area though, nice homes and rehabs are taking place all over the area. Athens is close to Atlanta, but alone, is a small town compared to Knoxville. Prefer to live in? Athens for sure.
Athens isn't exactly a small town by comparison...population 115,000 compared to 185,000 is in the same ballpark. Athens is part of Atlanta's metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City