Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2020, 01:48 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Nah! That LA street scene is typically what you see on the East Coast in business districts that are in the suburbs. That looks similar to Tyson's Corner but more urban. In NYC, the focus is always on the pedestrian and not cars. That's why you don't see these enormous parking garages/podiums all over Manhattan.
I was really looking at the street view, like seriously, this is Bethesda on steroids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 01:50 PM

1,803 posts, read 934,104 times
Default My point is LA deserves credit for its old urbanscape still there along with vast mass of distance built out.

Though this thread is on urbanity. If on aesthetics and Architecture and a place I would want to see by those street-views? It would be a no.
Of course DC has all the legacy of the White House, Capitol, Memorials and all the Smithsonian museums to boasts.

Still when I posted Old LA street-views.... they architecturally blew DC away.

How can you compare your street-views in DC like

https://www.google.com/maps/place/20...!4d-77.0453824

https://www.google.com/maps/place/19...!4d-77.0440383

To what even Old LA has yet to be fully revived and still with life and ongoing revitalization to boast.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0471...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0462...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0448...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0459...7i16384!8i8192

Downtown LA was not booming for a few decades and old LA was left to experience declines.
Yes so much is like GOING BACK IN TIME. A GRANDEUR that more modern LA or DC cannot touch with its architecture and DESERVES URBANITY CREDIT..

**** DC and Boston hyping is high on C-D and I do believe LA even deserves its day when OLDER CORES are in the PLAY. I want diversity in buildings... highs and lows in varieties of structures and not so much just common same height glass structures with a few interesting mixed in. Gaps to not destroy urbanity .... they give room to add to it and view what is already present..

Also, check out the poll results here.....

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...n-toronto.html
Quote:
Nah! That LA street scene is typically what you see on the East Coast in business districts that are in the suburbs. That looks similar to Tyson's Corner but more urban. In NYC, the focus is always on the pedestrian and not cars. That's why you don't see these enormous parking garages/podiums all over Manhattan.
Another KEY reason is cost-per-sq-foot of space in like Manhattan. Waaay to expensive to use for a parking stall. So Podium-parking is far less there then other cities that utilize them much more as pricing of land allows for them and still retail street-level. Still better then a separate parking garage as some cities with even cheaper land choose.....

We certainly know a skinny Tower that is the new normal in Manhattan. Has no place, or room..... for a podium or parking. Still done right and can be within the blueprint of a normal just portion of a block tower. Does work for many cities. Cities compromise on some need for parking yet keeping it as hid as possible and not taking up space on their own in a separate one.

Also a Podium of parking floors in a limited height city as DC.... is also not a price advantage whatsoever. The space above ground is too valuable.

Old 12-30-2020, 02:34 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
^^^ You've got to be kidding me. Don't make me go in on DC architecture vs LA. Yea LA wins in modern architecture, and DC's glass boxes downtown are monotonous, but there's nothing like Embassy Row in DC, or Logan Circle, in Central LA or anywhere for that matter.

Old 12-30-2020, 02:47 PM

1,803 posts, read 934,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
^^^ You've got to be kidding me. Don't make me go in on DC architecture vs LA. Yea LA wins in modern architecture, and DC's glass boxes downtown are monotonous, but there's nothing like Embassy Row in DC, or Logan Circle, in Central LA or anywhere for that matter.
Just don't then deny LA its due also..... and it is a deal. After all. You chose street-views to begin with for DC. I just did for Old LA and downtown. Still there is a vastness that is in the scenario too. Noting differences is merely for conversation. You brought in podiums that have nothing to do with old LA anyway and boasting Urban Canyons that can come in many forms that is not merely a solid form of similar heights. Both cities deserve a due without one called the darling of Urbanity vs others.

Old 12-30-2020, 03:32 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,742,373 times
Quote:
This is a major stretch to the point where this comment might rip apart. There is nothing suburban about DTLA. A ton of the city of LA isn't very urban or walker friendly but DTLA does it right for the most part. Yes, I definitely prefer DC's metro over LA's, even in spots like Alexandria/Arlington or Silver Spring over suburban LA.

Old 12-30-2020, 03:36 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I posted two locations, one was in DTLA on S Spring St close to 9th. The other was closer to Koreatown in Central LA, which is what the post I replied to was about. The comparison was made by OyCrumbler about street widths, building heights, and density being similar in LA, to DC or SF. I just pointed out the differences at least to DC.
You posted a comparison of "wide streets" and selected a wide street in the middle of downtown DC to compare with a wide street 2 miles from downtown LA. I posted a link to show that DC has similar, even worst examples, closer to downtown than the LA example.

The other comparison was to show that DTLA still has parking lots, which I won't dispute. I live very close to that LA example. I can walk there in 5 minutes.

Old 12-30-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah, my comment was regarding the lack of street retail which was not unusual for the time for buildings of that size, no matter the city.

That building is located on Bunker Hill, which was largely built during the time that everyone assumed that people of the future would drive everywhere. I can only imagine that DC saw similar prior to the metro. DC is ahead of LA in public transportation by two decades and it shows, but I think that LA is rapidly gaining and will catch DC in train ridership this decade.

Old 12-30-2020, 04:02 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
DC metro area transit commute share, 2019: 13.1%
LA metro area transit commute share, 2019: 4.8%

LA seems to have a really big hill to climb there...

Old 12-30-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post

It's hard to compare 460 square miles to 60. I think that the core of LA is much closer and that gap will be very close.

But what I meant was total train riders. I think that LA will pass DC in total numbers when the sepulveda pass line opens.

Old 12-30-2020, 06:07 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post

You bring this up often but Seattle's ridership percentages should be higher being its size. You simply can't make a comparison with a giant city with multiple huge employment centers across its region.
One thing that is a mystery to me is why do Seattle's metrobus system finish so early? Why do the buses stop running at 11:30pm? I see the #11 from Madison Park, it's last bus to downtown is at 11:30pm. Same with most of the routes in the Lake Washington Seattle neighborhoods. Even Seattle's light rail closes at midnight or 1am.
La has 24hr bus service on many routes including service from downtown to the ocean. They run 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. It's subway and light rail is open till 2am on the weekends
Experiencing both city's transit I still think LA's is a couple of notches above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City