Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More important economy wise?
Chicago 78 25.66%
San Francisco 226 74.34%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 09:48 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,642,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
but to be fair, you do totally come off as a transplant
I'm ok with that, never tried to come off as a native. I just don't get the whole knock on transplants, when it comes to certain cities. The best cities in the world are filled with transplants. The worst cities that kinda' don't matter so much don't have any transplants. So take it or leave it, that's just how it is and people need to deal with that. Transplants are people who move around. End up in high stakes cities, probably with good jobs that allow them to travel a lot, or transfer to other offices around the country/globe, etc. I don't view transplants or their opinions (which would obviously mean mine as well) as a "bad thing", yet constantly, constantly, particularly with SF, when someone wants to discredit something and has no facts with which to do so, said person just says "he/she's just a transplant". It's weak and I'm not buyin' it.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:00 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,042 times
Quote:
but to be fair, you do totally come off as a transplant
Yup, aching to "fit in" and dump all over the rest of the country. Fittingly, he can't see what everyone else can re: his attitude. That's all I was saying - it was incredibly obvious he was a recent transplant trying to oversell his locale/decision - I called it before he admitted it. I've dealt with CA transplants (and locals) on a regular basis for almost 20 years. I used to be in CA for a couple months (combined) every year for a decade or so. I'm down to the occasional visit, but even so, I've probably spent more time there than this newly-local who craps all over me because I live in Milwaukee and craps all over an LA native because he's currently in KY for law school

I tend to like CA natives (and the beauty of the state) quite a bit.

And that's more than enough on this side topic....

Old 06-26-2015, 10:07 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
I'm ok with that, never tried to come off as a native. I just don't get the whole knock on transplants, when it comes to certain cities. The best cities in the world are filled with transplants. The worst cities that kinda' don't matter so much don't have any transplants. So take it or leave it, that's just how it is and people need to deal with that. Transplants are people who move around. End up in high stakes cities, probably with good jobs that allow them to travel a lot, or transfer to other offices around the country/globe, etc. I don't view transplants or their opinions (which would obviously mean mine as well) as a "bad thing", yet constantly, constantly, particularly with SF, when someone wants to discredit something and has no facts with which to do so, said person just says "he/she's just a transplant". It's weak and I'm not buyin' it.
I'm okay with transplants--most tend to blend in pretty well and make things interesting while others seem to be stick out as a sore thumb and with a chip on the shoulder.

Not agreed on the best cities in the world filled with transplants as a blanket statement though, especially in East Asia. Tokyo might have way more more domestic transplants than Osaka, but Osaka is in my view, the better city.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:11 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Yup, aching to "fit in" and dump all over the rest of the country. Fittingly, he can't see what everyone else can re: his attitude. That's all I was saying - it was incredibly obvious he was a recent transplant trying to oversell his locale/decision - I called it before he admitted it. I've dealt with CA transplants (and locals) on a regular basis for almost 20 years. I used to be in CA for a couple months (combined) every year for a decade or so. I'm down to the occasional visit, but even so, I've probably spent more time there than this newly-local who craps all over me because I live in Milwaukee and craps all over an LA native because he's currently in KY for law school

I tend to like CA natives (and the beauty of the state) quite a bit.

And that's more than enough on this side topic....
You've explained things nicer than I would have haha.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:02 PM

61 posts, read 61,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Hmm, "Jesse", the poster who currently lives in Kentucky and who has literally never said a positive thing about the Bay Area/SF is very obviously a "native" and any poster who speaks highly of SF if they live there is very clearly a "transplant"?

Keep telling yourself what you want to hear. I embrace transplants, natives, immigrants, whoever. Whatever they want to say, whatever their perspective, whatever their opinion. Might not agree, might have a different perspective, might have something different to say. I suppose you feel differently, or you're like many posters on here who are just clamoring for the tune to change on San Francisco and for all of a sudden it to be this horrible place (you can just say, "see I told ya!"). Tell Hollywood to quit setting movies there. Tell the millions of foreign travelers to the US to quit picking SF as a top choice and thinking positively about it. Tell companies and the economy to quit rewarding SF and expanding there. Tell all the people trying to or actually moving there, to stop! I think then, you'll feel better. SF can become like Detroit - only natives, nobody moving there. No transplants.
You should move somewhere truly fabulous and alpha, like New York or London or Paris if you want to take up this elitist persona. It would be more convincing and would make more sense. You just live in San Francisco. Pipe down.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:14 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles V View Post
You should move somewhere truly fabulous and alpha, like New York or London or Paris if you want to take up this elitist persona. It would be more convincing and would make more sense. You just live in San Francisco. Pipe down.
Haha those are cities are NOT better places to live than the Bay Area by a long shot and they all LUST after the Bay Area's tech dominance, one cringes at their desparation quite frankly. Their media outlets are on overdrive trying to create fake buzz about their tech scenes, its hilarious.

In fact, we're suffocating with so many transplants from NYC, London and Paris that it makes one nauseated.

Pipe down indeed.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:18 AM

Would simply having a direct Metra line from Chicago to Milwaukee make the two into a single CSA within a decade after that gets launched?

Old 06-28-2015, 09:59 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
Would simply having a direct Metra line from Chicago to Milwaukee make the two into a single CSA within a decade after that gets launched?
I doubt it. CSAs are based on commuting patterns, and a Metra line isn't going to do it, especially over such long distances. There's also no reason to think that people would move to a different MSA and commute to another MSA just because you added a few daily commuter trains. They could already make the train commute via Kenosha (or Amtrak from Milwaukee), drive, or take a nonstop bus that's faster than the train.

There are very few passengers riding Metra on the northernmost stations. Kenosha, the terminal station, only gets a couple of hundred weekday passengers. The next stations closer in get even fewer passengers.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I doubt it. CSAs are based on commuting patterns, and a Metra line isn't going to do it, especially over such long distances. There's also no reason to think that people would move to a different MSA and commute to another MSA just because you added a few daily commuter trains. They could already make the train commute via Kenosha (or Amtrak from Milwaukee), drive, or take a nonstop bus that's faster than the train.

There are very few passengers riding Metra on the northernmost stations. Kenosha, the terminal station, only gets a couple of hundred weekday passengers. The next stations closer in get even fewer passengers.
But the threshold is for going from one county into another county, not necessarily downtown itself, right? How does it work if there's a large increase in commuting to and from the peripheries of the two?

Old 06-28-2015, 11:25 AM

61 posts, read 61,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18montclair View Post
haha those are cities are not better places to live than the bay area by a long shot and they all lust after the bay area's tech dominance, one cringes at their desparation quite frankly. Their media outlets are on overdrive trying to create fake buzz about their tech scenes, its hilarious.

In fact, we're suffocating with so many transplants from nyc, london and paris that it makes one nauseated.

Pipe down indeed.
LOL. Nice attempt but no..still not there

Last edited by Charles V; 06-28-2015 at 11:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City