Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's The Next City To Join The Class Of New York, LA, Chicago, Boston, Philly, DC, San Francisco &
Atlanta 33 30.56%
Dallas 11 10.19%
Houston 18 16.67%
Minneapolis 2 1.85%
Cleveland 0 0%
Seattle 31 28.70%
Detroit 3 2.78%
Denver 0 0%
San Diego 2 1.85%
Baltimore 2 1.85%
Phoenix 0 0%
Charlotte 1 0.93%
Other 5 4.63%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 09:33 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I never understood this logic, as if this does not apply to other cities as well. I most definitely would not be surprised if most foreigners only thought of Miami as Ocean, Collins, and Star Island. Most people outside of the state of Florida have never heard of Hileah or Miramar. Orlando has international tourists by the ship load, and how many people have heard of Orange St downtown? Washington DC is SUPPOSED to be known for its many monuments and the White House, why? Because no where else in the WORLD has them.
Thank you. Great post, same thing goes for NYC or LA. I bet a lot of people don't picture NYC as the Bronx or LA as Compton. Like? I didn't get that posters point at all.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:52 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
so prove to me DC is more internationally renown? Where are your stats?

International Tourist numbers are a very good indication of a popularity of a place. People visit what they hear about.
Miami will NEVER in the history of mankind be more "internationally renown" than Washington DC. Miami (what I like to consider a second home btw) will most likely ALWAYS receive larger tourism numbers than DC. This however, is not an indicator of it being more internationally renown. There is nothing important nor pertinent happening in Miami that is more important what goes on in DC. Their metro areas are the same population and yet DC's GDP is almost $200 B greater being one indicator of that. It's very understated the respect that Washington DC has outside of this country because of it being the Capitol. Miami benefits from location period. Gateway to Latin America, the port, cruise ships and international flights. If the coast flooded in all the way to Jacksonville, there would be the new Miami. It has the best beaches on the EC and is more reflective in pop culture yes. But, by no means does that outshine the Congress, President, DoJ, DoD, FBI, IMF, World Bank, FDIC, SEC etc etc etc I could go on but get the point.

Last edited by the resident09; 06-21-2015 at 10:00 PM..

Old 06-21-2015, 09:52 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Dallas is actually the huge economic giant of Texas. It's job growth is still insane and it's population is growing faster than Houston. Dallas added 30k jobs in April. That's almost half what many cities have done in a year.

But even after all of this, Dallas still lacks culturally and even socially. It's just a place to live and have a job. Even Houston is emerging as a city where you live, work, and play. Houston's international tourist numbers are nearing 1 million. Dallas still barely above 400k. Houston domestic tourist numbers are also very high. I've never seen Dallas on a top 10 # of tourists list, and maybe not even top 15.

Austin is also a new destination for young people and it's talked about as cool. Another city emerging as a work, play, and live area.

Basically, what I'm saying is, Houston is becoming the city known around the world. It's a primate city of Texas no matter how much Dallas grows and gains headquarters. Also, part of that reason is simply because it's an energy capital.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
There really is no primary city in Texas as of right now. Houston and DFW are about on the same level. In the past 10 years though, Houston has widened the gap slowly between the two economically. But not enough to leave DFW in the dust or to even notice. VP is Victory Park. A section where many Dallasites say can be Uptown, part of Downtown, or by itself. But lots of new residents, hotels, and office space is opening in this part of Dallas with more to come. The difference though is Houston's strength is greater than DFW's strength. DFW doesn't have one industry that it leads the rest of the nation in. Houston does. Both have advantages though because DFW does have a more diverse economy.
Thank you guys so much for this info. So it seems Houston is just beginning to pull away, but they're pretty much even. Ant what can Dallas do to up it's tourism numbers? and Spade you said Houston has diversified before, but should the focus remain oil? Thanks for the answers.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:55 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Thank you. Great post, same thing goes for NYC or LA. I bet a lot of people don't picture NYC as the Bronx or LA as Compton. Like? I didn't get that posters point at all.
Exactly, like who knows Las Vegas outside the Vegas strip?? NOBODY! Not even Americans know about Henderson, NV etc. That argument is the oldest and dumbest I've heard.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:00 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta obviously. They really should already be on the list though

I really don't get why Philly and Boston are always put ahead. Because they're more urban? lol. The other three are definitely with them. Especially Houston and Atlanta

Old 06-21-2015, 10:06 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That's sad if people actually believe that. Y'all are making WAY to much of this oil bust as it concerns Houston and a bust which wasn't even as bad as the 1980s in a city that's far more economically diverse than it was 30 years ago.
Even the Oil Rout Can't Stop Houston's Economic Boom - Bloomberg Business
It has already seen a slow down and now via latest reports, things are picking back up as it had a surplus on creating jobs last month. Downtown Houston has dozens of cranes up right now ranging from Office to residential to hotel rooms (thousands of rooms). Most of Houston's growth is in the loop plus the Galleria, TMC, and Energy Corridor. Houston just probably has more to work with. I do agree that Dallas is not a leader in anything. Big hub for banking and telecommunication but mostly regional. Still most of it's growth is centered around Uptown and Downtown plus VP.
Houston is being proud: it has upwards of 12-15 million square feet of office space coming to the market over the next two years, including the completely empty 609 Main. Much of this was banked on continued expansion by energy companies due to growth in oil prices; now that most are freezing their footprints and will move entirely into new developments (ConocoPhillips, Air Liquide, Phillips 66, BHP, Exxon and so on), that'll leave a massive amount of vacant space on the market that will lead to a correction in pricing and a sharp slowdown in any development activity for the next few years barring a drastic return to the oil prices of around a year ago. The residential market is a bit more elastic and can deal with slightly lower rates of apartment absorption due to consistent population growth, but that too many see a moderate slowdown.

No one's saying that Houston will grind to a halt entirely, but it's dependent on a very volatile industry that in turn drives ancillary growth. Sure, there's a slightly more diverse professional services contingent and massive industrial and logistics presence, but that won't be enough to negate the effects of the oil slowdown. Houston doesn't see the extent of corporate relocations the way that Atlanta or Dallas does, which would otherwise allay fears.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:29 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
I disagree with this supposed perception that Atlanta is some kind of a glorified city when there are much nicer both established and developing cities and metros around the country. Please see my comments above in red.
All you did was discredit the progress Atlanta has made though. Those things are definitely bringing Atlanta into the spot light without a doubt.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:50 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,874 times
Quote:
Orlando Area also gets more tourists than many cities, but I wouldn't call it a world class city.

People need to understand the difference between a world class city and a world class destination. Miami, Orlando, and Las Vegas are world class destinations along with European cities like Florence, Venice, etc. Those are world class destination. Some may be urban and walkable, but that doesn't make it a world class city.

World class is a combination of several factors. I would say there are 3 main factors: Social, Cultural, and Economic. I think to be a world class city, you absolutely must have a legitimate economy that can support a large middle class(which generally creates a good quality of life). It can't just be a large underclass and a decent size upper class with little to no middle class(Miami).

And part of the reason I don't place Philly in world class, nor cities that will emerge as world class is because you never see making lists of "Cities of the future", nor do you ever see it on top economic performer lists. It's job growth is average. It's population growth is average. Low in domestic migration which result in a provincial city where you have the same people living in the city and not new ideas or people coming in. That's what makes cities like NYC, SF, Seattle, Atlanta, Houston, Austin, Boston, DC so dynamic. The constant flow of new residents. It's just being passed by many cities on mulitple fronts.

There was just an article about a Philly resident comparing it to Atlanta and what Atlanta has done over the last 3 decades and them trying to find out what made Atlanta boom and become what it is today so they can attempt to replicate it and eventually re-emerge as the city they were 70-100 years ago when the city was legitimate a top 10 city in the world.

You can read the article here: What to really learn from Atlanta - Atlanta Business Chronicle

If you read the whole article, he pretty much discusses what I've said about Philly. There's no go getter attitude that world class cities need.
Two issues with this:
  • Miami, Orlando and Las Vegas are all major international destinations. What sets Miami apart is that it's also a very large market area as well. Latin American money is fuelling one of the largest building booms in the country at the moment, one that's even greater than during the mid-2000s. It's also a key international banking centre for the Americas. Orlando and Las Vegas are mostly based on tourism and, in Orlando's case, some back-office call centres and such. Miami has a greater professional services and financial contingent to complement its leisure jobs, but is still slightly below the share seen in similar cities.
  • "[Philly's] job growth is average. Its population growth is average. Low in domestic migration which result in a provincial city where you have the same people living in the city and not new ideas or people coming in." There's a really big city in the US has that has slower job and population growth than Philadelphia: Chicago. I don't see anyone disparaging the fact that Chicago is the slowest-growing major metropolitan area and core city in the United States (second-slowest if you treat Detroit as a core city, but I don't). Philadelphia is one of the world's most important education, health and life sciences hubs and has seen great increases in development throughout Center City and University City. Is it still somewhat anaemic? Yes. Is it on a rebound? Absolutely. It's still a major centre for the arts and tourism and has a legacy of professional firms that maintain a presence in the city and Comcast (as evil as they are) is pouring money into it as well. It has a lot of untapped potential but is certainly enjoying an upswing, particularly in the city proper.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:55 PM

313 posts, read 336,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Exactly, like who knows Las Vegas outside the Vegas strip?? NOBODY! Not even Americans know about Henderson, NV etc. That argument is the oldest and dumbest I've heard.
Posters on this thread have to get out of there box . NO body , but people on this thread , don't know what a msa or csa are or any other esoteric term used on this thread and don't really care . If there are 30 k posters on this thread and 300 million people that only 1 /10000 % . So literally no one looks at cities with the same perspective as posters on this thread . I think it's true people only have a mental image of a city and that's it. They don't think in terms cosmopolitan or financial center .
I have seen posters bring up google map locations to make a point or to cherry pick a location to put down another posters city but you know they spent hours searching for it , that's sad . But most posters don't have the desire or time .

Old 06-22-2015, 12:08 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Orlando Area also gets more tourists than many cities, but I wouldn't call it a world class city.

People need to understand the difference between a world class city and a world class destination. Miami, Orlando, and Las Vegas are world class destinations along with European cities like Florence, Venice, etc. Those are world class destination. Some may be urban and walkable, but that doesn't make it a world class city.

World class is a combination of several factors. I would say there are 3 main factors: Social, Cultural, and Economic. I think to be a world class city, you absolutely must have a legitimate economy that can support a large middle class(which generally creates a good quality of life). It can't just be a large underclass and a decent size upper class with little to no middle class(Miami).

And part of the reason I don't place Philly in world class, nor cities that will emerge as world class is because you never see making lists of "Cities of the future", nor do you ever see it on top economic performer lists. It's job growth is average. It's population growth is average. Low in domestic migration which result in a provincial city where you have the same people living in the city and not new ideas or people coming in. That's what makes cities like NYC, SF, Seattle, Atlanta, Houston, Austin, Boston, DC so dynamic. The constant flow of new residents. It's just being passed by many cities on mulitple fronts.

There was just an article about a Philly resident comparing it to Atlanta and what Atlanta has done over the last 3 decades and them trying to find out what made Atlanta boom and become what it is today so they can attempt to replicate it and eventually re-emerge as the city they were 70-100 years ago when the city was legitimate a top 10 city in the world.

You can read the article here: What to really learn from Atlanta - Atlanta Business Chronicle

If you read the whole article, he pretty much discusses what I've said about Philly. There's no go getter attitude that world class cities need.
Yeah, you're selling Miami waaaay short. International banking, and international real estate fuels Miami's economy, and contributes heavily to the number of amenities that are added to the city. Also Miami having proximity to Latin-America, gives it a monopoly on media between America and that part of the globe. I wouldn't limit Miami to that niche category of resort town. Socially, Culturally, and Economically? The only one of those categories where Atlanta or Houston might flat out beat Miami is economically. But even if you compared Miami and Atlantas GDP's, ATL isn't ahead by much. Again, a city doesn't have to have the strongest middle class, to be world class. Cities like London, NYC, and LA are expensive and class segregation abounds in those cities. I don't see what sets Atlanta or Houston apart from Miami outside of both having a larger middle class than Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City