Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 09:02 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,498,471 times

Advertisements

I'm only focusing on differences, either at the surface or at the core. I've seen posts here on CD, "I can't decide between Charlotte and Raleigh, help!" So, what differences do you notice between visiting the Charlotte area and the Research Triangle? I DON'T want this to turn into a huge debate, because I don't give a damn whether Charlotte is above Raleigh or whatever. Give it a shot, and it can be anything. The amount of transplants vs natives, percentage of Southern Baptists, universities, density vs suburbia, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 09:13 AM

37,896 posts, read 42,015,677 times
The Triangle is a multinodal area, whereas Charlotte is clearly THE primary city of its metro. The Triangle has a much more pronounced higher ed scene. The Triangle is all about college sports, whereas Charlotte is about pro sports. Charlotte is more corporate, whereas the Triangle is more "tech-y." Charlotte is the unofficial capital of the Carolinas and has more of a regional flair in that regard. The Triangle is more liberal and a little less "churchy."

Old 06-25-2015, 05:25 PM

Would it be an exaggeration to say Raleigh/Durham is more similar to metros further north (Richmond, DC, Baltimore) than south (Charlotte, Columbia, Charleston, Atlanta)? I can't help but think certain people in Raleigh hold this belief, while they look at Charlotte as a much more southern city.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Would it be an exaggeration to say Raleigh/Durham is more similar to metros further north (Richmond, DC, Baltimore) than south (Charlotte, Columbia, Charleston, Atlanta)? I can't help but think certain people in Raleigh hold this belief, while they look at Charlotte as a much more southern city.
Overall, I think it's more like metros to the south of it. The built environment of the mid-Atlantic cities is much different than the Triangle. Out of all those cities you listed, I think the Triangle is probably characteristically more like Atlanta once you adjust for the size difference.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:12 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,433,721 times
I have chosen to move to Raleigh instead of Charlotte. I prefer more urban cities, so Charlotte is probably a better fit for me, but Raleigh does have lots of appeal as well.

I have heard that Raleigh has more of a Northern feel to it. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that's true.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I have chosen to move to Raleigh instead of Charlotte. I prefer more urban cities, so Charlotte is probably a better fit for me, but Raleigh does have lots of appeal as well.

I have heard that Raleigh has more of a Northern feel to it. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that's true.
I feel like most people only say that because of all the transplants. If you visit Raleigh and don't interact with too many people, I doubt you'd say, "Oh! This reminds me of New Jersey!" or anything along those lines. The Raleigh/Durham area doesn't look too different from Charlotte, Columbia, or Atlanta.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:49 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,311,782 times
The main difference between the two is the Triangle multi-nodal and Charlotte is a principle city with three major satellite cities. Triangle main economic engine is high tech and higher Ed, Charlotte's is banking and transportation. Outside of that there is not much of a difference. And for the record, the Triangle is not similar to a Northern City. For pete's sake Smithfield is on the area! It has tobacco farms still.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
The main difference between the two is the Triangle multi-nodal and Charlotte is a principle city with three major satellite cities. Triangle main economic engine is high tech and higher Ed, Charlotte's is banking and transportation. Outside of that there is not much of a difference. And for the record, the Triangle is not similar to a Northern City. For pete's sake Smithfield is on the area! It has tobacco farms still.
Smithfield is just outside the Triangle, but I definitely agree. Most people would say the immediate surroundings of RTP are the areas that feel the most "northern" due to all the transplants (Durham, Cary, Morrisville, etc). Drive just outside the metro to towns like Smithfield or Benson and it's a different story.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:10 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,433,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I feel like most people only say that because of all the transplants. If you visit Raleigh and don't interact with too many people, I doubt you'd say, "Oh! This reminds me of New Jersey!" or anything along those lines. The Raleigh/Durham area doesn't look too different from Charlotte, Columbia, or Atlanta.
I agree with that. I just figured due to transplants + being further East/North. Raleigh does have more in common with Southern cities, so. I'd actually be disappointed if the Triangle isn't Southern, because that's part of what I'm looking forward to. But I suppose I may be in the minority in that I could have moved to either Charlotte or Raleigh and I chose Raleigh.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I agree with that. I just figured due to transplants + being further East/North. Raleigh does have more in common with Southern cities, so. I'd actually be disappointed if the Triangle isn't Southern, because that's part of what I'm looking forward to. But I suppose I may be in the minority in that I could have moved to either Charlotte or Raleigh and I chose Raleigh.
Nah, not in the minority at all. Both metros are adding about the same amount of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City