Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is best?
Indiana 31 22.14%
Tennessee 109 77.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 09:47 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
I think Indiana overall has a better education structure. Tennessee is very middle of the road.
Indiana has the better public and private school systems, especially higher education. The state appears to be far more supportive of STEM type of jobs whereas Tennessee appears to be more supportive of production, medicine, music, and hospitality type of jobs. Both states fail in educational attainment compared to some other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 10:07 PM

96 posts, read 147,005 times
Metros-Tennessee, TN has two major metro's Nashville and Memphis, Indiana only has Indianapolis.
Nightlife- Tennessee in a land slide.
Culture- Tennessee
Shopping- Tie
Dining- Tennessee
Crime- Indiana
Economy- Slight edge to Indiana but both are pretty decent
Mass Transit- Neither are great in this regard
People- Why does this question always get asked? Like what do people mean by this?
Weather- Tennessee for me, Indiana is known for having some of the worst weather in the country.
QOL- Depends on what your standards are

For me Tennessee is the winner.

Old 09-17-2016, 11:48 PM

345 posts, read 530,442 times
For scenery, Tennessee is pretty great. I'd have to say second in the south when it comes to it. (North Carolina is first, and no, personally I don't like Florida)

Old 09-18-2016, 05:42 PM

74 posts, read 93,875 times
Indiana has a piece of Lake Michigan but otherwise Tennessee wins on water especially since much of this water is close to the major cities. I like four season weather with short winters so Tennessee suits me. Tennessee also has mountains and no state income tax so it gets my vote.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:25 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
Tennessee all day long. Especially from Nashville eastward.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:17 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,971,930 times
I would choose TN but hey thats just me.YMMV
-WT

Old 09-21-2016, 09:54 AM

97 posts, read 122,824 times
Tennessee all the way.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:46 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Which one is best based on:

metros - TN overall. Indy is cheaper than Nashville, but I think Nashville has a brighter future. I like Knoxville better than Fort Wayne, only been to Evansville once, but otherwise, not much else in Indiana. Memphis has a good history with BBQ and blues and Chattanooga is up and coming - and I don't think Indiana has much of either

nightlife TN wins this. Nashville has a far better nightlife scene than Indy. Other smaller metros are probably better than similarly sized metros in IN.

culture Probably TN. TN has a strong background in country music, bluegrass, "pioneer" type stuff you see in Pigeon Forge. IN is quintessentially Middle America with a racing and sports background. Nothing wrong with it - but blander

shopping Probably TN by a nudge, but goes back to more/bigger metros. No real differences for most folks.

dining TN. I've found Southern food is far more interesting than what you find in IN, and most of the Midwest.

scenery TN by a mile.

outdoor activities Same as above.

crime rate Indiana. Indianapolis and some parts of NWI are bad, but most small towns in Tennessee are pretty drug ridden and rough and tumble.

economy Indiana. Economy has a much broader base, higher wages, etc., than in Tennessee. Tennessee is a difficult state to make a living in.

mass transit Probably Indiana with transit that goes into Chicago. Nothing similar in TN.

people TN. Most people in TN are far friendlier than people in Indiana, especially Indianapolis. Indianapolis has some of the rudest people I've been anywhere. Small town IN was not that different from small town TN.

weather I prefer the longer summers and milder winters in TN.

quality of life If you have a job with a decent income, probably TN. If you're working a lower level job or just looking for work at all, probably IN. I doubled my TN salary when I moved to IN, but kept my Indiana salary when I moved back to Tennessee last month.
TN native here who lived in Indianapolis for two and a half years until last month.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:48 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
I think Indiana overall has a better education structure. Tennessee is very middle of the road.
Agreed. IU is better than UT-K, in general. TN doesn't have as good of an engineering/STEM school as Purdue. Vanderbilt is excellent, but small and prohibitively expensive, much like ND. I don't think the regional schools in TN compare favorably to the various IUPUI type places either. Come to think of it, there really isn't anything like IUPUI in TN.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:18 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Agreed. IU is better than UT-K, in general. TN doesn't have as good of an engineering/STEM school as Purdue. Vanderbilt is excellent, but small and prohibitively expensive, much like ND. I don't think the regional schools in TN compare favorably to the various IUPUI type places either. Come to think of it, there really isn't anything like IUPUI in TN.
I agree. What did you think of Indiana when you lived there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City