Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most liberal metro among the big 4 in the South
Atlanta 98 32.89%
Miami 160 53.69%
Dallas 15 5.03%
Houston 25 8.39%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 07:01 PM

641 posts, read 802,296 times

Advertisements

LOL... funny to see you two still going at it.... I'd argue that there's really no such thing as a fiscal conservative though. Think about it,, that side is spending big too, just in different ways.... that's like a police department saying, "No, we wont put money into social programs that could possiblly prevent crime bc we are fiscally conservative. Instead we are going to put money into more personnel and non lethal weapons"

Just my two cents, please continue, don't mind me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 09:55 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,925,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No, it absolutely does not. People of all political persuasions are generous in times of disaster. Deep down you know this but you're being argumentative on this point for the sake of the topic.
The generosity and help in general isn't affected by ideology, yes, but the kind and source of help, however, is.

Quote:
Policies are the only OBJECTIVE way the liberalism of a city can be determined. Liberalism is a POLITICAL philosophy; thus POLICIES are the only true determinant of liberalism. "Innate feeling" is amorphous, highly subjective, and intangible.
And yet feelings play out in reality all the time; again, a simple talk with people across the city is all you need to determine liberalism through innate feeling. Policies are NOT the only objective way to determine liberalism.

Quote:
Mark my words. You're young and have yet to experience other cities and parts of the country as an adult. After you gain some firsthand, real-world perspective beyond Houston, you'll remember exactly what I said.
I've been to cities like London and Tokyo ( both which are far mightier than any US city that isn't New York) before I went to Houston for college. I already have real world experience as to how these ideologies are determined.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:05 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,843,122 times
Quote:
I've not seen any sources that broke down the "no" vote by race, so where are you getting this from?
It's well documented in the Houston Chronicle. It's a lot of fallacy as usual on this site.

Majority black City Council districts were among those most decisively rejecting the law Tuesday, including District B and District D, where 72 percent and 65 percent of voters, respectively, opted to repeal the law. Overall, complete but unofficial results showed 61 percent of voters against the law and 39 percent for it.

HERO struggled mightily in majority black council districts - Houston Chronicle

Old 11-13-2015, 10:27 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
The generosity and help in general isn't affected by ideology, yes, but the kind and source of help, however, is.
You're splitting hairs and you know better.

Quote:
And yet feelings play out in reality all the time; again, a simple talk with people across the city is all you need to determine liberalism through innate feeling. Policies are NOT the only objective way to determine liberalism.
Lol, yes that is indeed the only objective way to determine liberalism. Again, "innate feeling" is so vague and amorphous until it can be construed and interpreted all sorts of ways. On a practical level, it means nothing in and of itself and sounds like bad Chamber of Commerce boosterism. Surely you must know what "objective" means.

Quote:
I've been to cities like London and Tokyo ( both which are far mightier than any US city that isn't New York) before I went to Houston for college. I already have real world experience as to how these ideologies are determined.
Vacationing in those cities as a teenager is quite different than living there as an adult with a career, responsibilities, etc.

But it's interesting that you ride hard for a city you have little actual ties to in this thread but lambast the residents as "luddites" in the Houston subforum due to the outcome of the vote. Why does "innate feeling" not suffice in that case?

In the South, when it comes to liberalism, you can do better than Houston; that is the bottom line. Why settle for "innate feeling" and potential when there are cities that have actually gotten things DONE?

Old 11-13-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
It's well documented in the Houston Chronicle. It's a lot of fallacy as usual on this site.

Majority black City Council districts were among those most decisively rejecting the law Tuesday, including District B and District D, where 72 percent and 65 percent of voters, respectively, opted to repeal the law. Overall, complete but unofficial results showed 61 percent of voters against the law and 39 percent for it.

HERO struggled mightily in majority black council districts - Houston Chronicle
Well I asked for a source and you provided it. I had not seen one up to this point (and still can't see the article since I'm not a digital subscriber).

Old 11-13-2015, 11:15 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,925,107 times
Quote:
You're splitting hairs and you know better.
Conservatives and Liberals can pass accomplish the same fiscal tasks, just with different sources of revenue, and different means of doing so; the same distinctions apply in terms of how the two different ideologies provide aid after disasters.

Quote:
Lol, yes that is indeed the only objective way to determine liberalism. Again, "innate feeling" is so vague and amorphous until it can be construed and interpreted all sorts of ways. On a practical level, it means nothing in and of itself and sounds like bad Chamber of Commerce boosterism. Surely you must know what "objective" means.
1.) Nope, innate feelings do indeed play out in reality; again, just simple interacting with people is all it takes.

2.)Even if I call off this whole innate feeling argument, and stick strictly with passed policies and measures, there would be many liberal aligned policies Houston has pushed that neither Dallas nor Atlanta have.

Quote:
Vacationing in those cities as a teenager is quite different than living there as an adult with a career, responsibilities, etc.

But it's interesting that you ride hard for a city you have little actual ties to in this thread but lambast the residents as "luddites" in the Houston subforum due to the outcome of the vote. Why does "innate feeling" not suffice in that case?

In the South, when it comes to liberalism, you can do better than Houston; that is the bottom line. Why settle for "innate feeling" and potential when there are cities that have actually gotten things DONE?
1.) Vacationing is enough to gather knowledge, experience, and ideas about a city.

2.)Many of the people in that Houston subforum are not really Houston residents, either out in suburbs, or in the suburban locales within city limits. That nonsense doesn't fly in the true Houston core.

3.)Out of all the cities listed, Houston is the best bet when it comes to liberalism (even past Miami). I'd even rank Houston above Austin and New Orleans in terms of liberalism. Houston may have not gotten some things done yet that other cities have, but it has gotten things accomplished that those other cities haven't.

Old 11-14-2015, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Conservatives and Liberals can pass accomplish the same fiscal tasks, just with different sources of revenue, and different means of doing so; the same distinctions apply in terms of how the two different ideologies provide aid after disasters.
How so?

Quote:
1.) Nope, innate feelings do indeed play out in reality; again, just simple interacting with people is all it takes.

2.)Even if I call off this whole innate feeling argument, and stick strictly with passed policies and measures, there would be many liberal aligned policies Houston has pushed that neither Dallas nor Atlanta have.
Such as?

Quote:
1.) Vacationing is enough to gather knowledge, experience, and ideas about a city.
Only in the most superficial sense. Otherwise, this is your youth speaking.

Quote:
2.)Many of the people in that Houston subforum are not really Houston residents, either out in suburbs, or in the suburban locales within city limits. That nonsense doesn't fly in the true Houston core.
And several of them were Houston residents.

Quote:
3.)Out of all the cities listed, Houston is the best bet when it comes to liberalism (even past Miami). I'd even rank Houston above Austin and New Orleans in terms of liberalism. Houston may have not gotten some things done yet that other cities have, but it has gotten things accomplished that those other cities haven't.
Such as?

Old 11-14-2015, 08:35 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Houston as a whole does not rank above Austin for liberalism.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:33 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Everyone hates rich Jews because we are the most successful minority group in the world.
The European Jew is hated, worldwide, because they are shysters, swindlers, and absolutely repulsive. This can be proven by facts and figures.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:07 PM

41 posts, read 47,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
The European Jew is hated, worldwide, because they are shysters, swindlers, and absolutely repulsive. This can be proven by facts and figures.
Racist much?

The people who hate European Jews hate them because they are successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City