Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 09:40 AM

29 posts, read 27,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I was in Chicago for a week last month (June) and had to buy a light jacket while I was there. For the first few days of the trip, the weather was chilly (high in 50s), dreary and drizzly. I dare say that you cannot find an example of a June day in Tampa like that.
Many cities were unusually cold in the beginning of June in the north. It was not just Chicago nor is what you experienced at all in any way normal. I'm not sure if that's when you visited, but my guess is maybe? There was another day in Chicago in the middle of the month too that was unusually cold as well, though the next days were warmer.

Anyway, a lot of cities in the north have experienced a few days of pretty chilly weather. The issue with visiting cities and not educating yourself on them is the fact that you'll jump to conclusions about them. In NYC on June 1st and June 2nd, it was very cold. The next few days was still pretty chilly (in the 60s) and cloudy. If I didn't know anything about NYC weather, I would have jumped to the conclusion that the weather in NYC, even in June, is cold. Many people most likely did.

NYC
June 1: 58 F (75 F historical average)
June 2: 55 F (76 F historical average)

Chicago
May 31: 57 F (75 F average)
June 1: 62 F (75 F average)

Boston
June 1: 49 F (71 F average)
June 2: 49 F (72 F average)
June 3: 56 F (72 F average)
June 4: 58 F (72 F average)
June 5: 59 F (73 F average)

Philadelphia
June2: 58 F (79 F average)

Pittsburgh
June 1: 60 F (75 F average)
June 2: 61 F (75 F average)

Cleveland
June 1: 55 F (73 F average)
Jun 2: 61 F (74 F average)

Washington DC
June3: 64 F (80 F average)
June 4: 65 F (81 average)

Looking at the forecast for Chicago, only 3 days for the rest of the month are forecasted to be below the 80s for a high, and those below are in the upper 70s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 09:26 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
I prefer Tampa. It is consistently hot and humid, and is not susceptible to high pressure from the north. It also sees significantly more thunderstorms.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:43 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Exact center?...yeah, because Chicago and Tampa are full of microclimates.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:13 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Tampa for sure is hotter! Chicago barely has anything that qualifies as summer at all in my book. Plus look at the lows! When your low for the day is in the mid 70s (probably occurring between 3-4 am) then you have HOT weather.
Oh, good....somebody from Austin who admits the city is hot as hell. People keep touting it, and Dallas, as these magically-shielded cities from hot and humid weather.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:15 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
I prefer Tampa. It is consistently hot and humid, and is not susceptible to high pressure from the north. It also sees significantly more thunderstorms.
Yeah, who likes high pressure systems/weather?

Old 07-23-2015, 06:47 AM

135 posts, read 138,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
The temperature difference is 5 degrees. Is that significant? The humidity varies about 5-8% higher in Tampa.

You have some weird obsession with Chicago, but don't go crazy over this.
Factoring in the humidity, dewpoint (very important when discussing FL), heat index, angle of the sun's rays, Tampa is significantly hotter. Don't be dense.

I love it when people tout that Tampa's official recorded temperature "has never been over 99." Yeah. Now factor in the above, and you can have a 92 degree summer day that feels like 115. If the raw temp was 99 down here in July or August and the dewpoint was 76 or above, it would feel even hotter. Ugh.

Thankfully it's only from June-September. When the humidity finally breaks some time in October, it's like magic. Four months of awful summer is (almost) worth the other eight months of great weather.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:41 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogler View Post
Thankfully it's only from June-September. When the humidity finally breaks some time in October, it's like magic. Four months of awful summer is (almost) worth the other eight months of great weather.
Most people say the same thing up here, but it's "four months of winter is worth the other eight months of great weather." For me personally, I only dread the length of winter once it's set in for a while (eliminate February!) and summer near the end when it's been a hot one (exchange August for October, please).

Old 07-23-2015, 07:47 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Exact center?...yeah, because Chicago and Tampa are full of microclimates.
There's quite a difference in both cities whether you're on the water or away from it, including cool breezes, but also raw temperatures. I live just north of Chicago in Milwaukee, and the temperature differences from where I live (by the Lake) and 15 miles in at work are often fairly striking. Also depends on the time of year - in June if it's 85 and sunny at work, often it's 68 and foggy at home. In winter, there's often a big difference the other way, with much more mild temperatures near the Lake. I'm not sure why this would be suprising

Old 07-23-2015, 09:48 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,153,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogler View Post
Factoring in the humidity, dewpoint (very important when discussing FL), heat index, angle of the sun's rays, Tampa is significantly hotter. Don't be dense.

I love it when people tout that Tampa's official recorded temperature "has never been over 99." Yeah. Now factor in the above, and you can have a 92 degree summer day that feels like 115. If the raw temp was 99 down here in July or August and the dewpoint was 76 or above, it would feel even hotter. Ugh.

I live in Miami Beach which is even more south (so the sun rays are more intense) and more humid than Tampa, while temperatures are similar. I don't find the summer bad at all. Unless I'm jogging or something like that, I won't break out in a sweat. And the "hot" portions of the day are basically a 4-6 hour period during midday. Nights are gorgeous.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:02 AM

135 posts, read 138,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I live in Miami Beach which is even more south (so the sun rays are more intense) and more humid than Tampa, while temperatures are similar. I don't find the summer bad at all. Unless I'm jogging or something like that, I won't break out in a sweat. And the "hot" portions of the day are basically a 4-6 hour period during midday. Nights are gorgeous.
Numbers don't lie, chief. Whether you tolerate it is a subjective matter, but the facts are facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City