Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 06:06 PM

2,998 posts, read 3,109,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Atlanta dominates the entire Southeast? Ever heard of Florida? That might be true in some respect though when it comes to dominating since so many Floridians have to pass through Atlanta where we are "forced" to change planes!
Yeah, what about Florida? I'm not going to get into a stat posting debate, but overall, Atlanta is more important to the Southeast than any city in Florida in a lot of ways (including Miami), so I stand by my statement.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:10 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,346,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Exactly ! Nola get a lot of praise on this site. It's neither over or under.
There are PLENTY of people that hate on New Orleans here, and plenty that boost it.

It has its good and bad like any other city but it's definitely on the rise.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:28 PM

9,689 posts, read 9,424,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
New Orleans has a lower violent crime rate than Nashville. According to you, New Orleans is simply a crime infested overrated city without distinct characteristics. As someone said earlier, New Orleans is neither overrated or underrated and people don't make up stuff about it. Meanwhile, Nashville is no more " Music City " than Atlanta, Memphis, or New Orleans as far as musical genre diversity.
Where are your facts to support these statements?

Old 09-14-2015, 08:46 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,635,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Yeah, what about Florida? I'm not going to get into a stat posting debate, but overall, Atlanta is more important to the Southeast than any city in Florida in a lot of ways (including Miami), so I stand by my statement.
You made a claim that Atlanta dominates the entire Southeast hence my retort that it doesn't if you can exclude Florida.
Atlanta has no influence over Florida at all.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:17 PM

37,898 posts, read 42,027,746 times
Quote:
You made a claim that Atlanta dominates the entire Southeast hence my retort that it doesn't if you can exclude Florida.
Atlanta has no influence over Florida at all.
Atlanta seems to have a measure of influence over north Florida. But the statement about Atlanta's dominance in the Southeast refers to its sphere of influence over a very wide swath of the core of the region, not so much towards the fringes (i.e., peninsular Florida).

Old 09-14-2015, 09:42 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,876,589 times
Still don't see how Atlanta is Underrated Southern City, with whole host of TV shows shot in the city, Movie named ATL and other movies set in Atlanta(not talking about movies shot in Atlanta but are pretty much about Atlanta) Whole host of musicians, basically more media coverage then any other city in south but some how it's underrated? Don't get me wrong a lot of these shows are terrible but it's gets ratings so it just keeps getting renewed.

House of Payne, Meet the Browns, For Better or Worse, Big Rich Atlanta, The Game, Let's Stay Together, Love & Hip Hop Atlanta, Married to Medicine, The New Atlanta, The Real House Wives of Atlanta, TI & Tiny: The Family Hustle, Single Ladies, Atlanta Plastic, Preachers of Atlanta, Dancin' the Dream, Born again Virgins, Get Swank'd, Cutting it in Atlanta, Survivor's Remorse, etc etc not naming whole host of other shows that are shot there just shows which pretty much are focusing on Atlanta. It gets major hype and attention to be underrated.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:21 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,635,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Atlanta seems to have a measure of influence over north Florida. But the statement about Atlanta's dominance in the Southeast refers to its sphere of influence over a very wide swath of the core of the region, not so much towards the fringes (i.e., peninsular Florida).
The "fringes" is where most of peninsular Florida lives though. Please tell me what parts of north Florida Atlanta influences?

Old 09-15-2015, 07:46 AM

37,898 posts, read 42,027,746 times
Quote:
The "fringes" is where most of peninsular Florida lives though.
I'm aware of that.

Quote:
Please tell me what parts of north Florida Atlanta influences?
Parts that are just as close to Atlanta as they are to south Florida, like Tallahassee and environs. There's something of a reciprocal relationship between Atlanta and the Gulf Coast of Florida with many Atlantans traveling there for the beaches and folks there traveling to Atlanta for some "big city" stuff.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:54 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,548,609 times
Please, guys, not this crap again.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:23 AM

5,844 posts, read 5,649,476 times
Overrated: Atlanta (I still like that city, it just isn't as mind-blowing as I'd thought it would be. Would love there if circumstances were right); New Orleans; Nashville (entertainment revolves largely around music; majority of that music is country or gospel; not my thing; offerings of the rest of the city I can get more and better in Charlotte. I'd live here too, though)

Underrated: Richmond (profile rising, though); Columbia (very cool city)

Here's how I feel about Hampton Roads. The region itself is vastly underrated. Individually, the Beach is far more underrated than Norfolk. Virginia Beach is actually pretty cool; Norfolk is too, but people have the habit of lamenting HR as if Virginia Beach is nothing but suburban wasteland, which isn't fully accurate. Norfolk is underrated in the sense that it isn't often spoken of, but here's the thing. It isn't a true alpha of its metro, it shares that with VB (actually, I think the two, as a combined city of sorts, are an excellent place, but I disagree that Norfolk is the sole anchor). Norfolk, as a singular city, is in the same playing field as Durham or Greensboro. As a metro, Hampton Roads is higher than the Triad, about even with the Triangle, and definitely an underrated metro...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.