Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 09:21 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,511,503 times

Advertisements

Yesterday someone from Florida posted to the Baltimore Forum that he was thinking about moving to Baltimore. This resulted is a bunch of posts from the Washington, DC area folks telling him not to do it and generally trashing Baltimore. In fact, the Baltimore Forum is often dominated by a booing section from DC. Are other city's forms dominated by folks from other cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 10:20 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Yesterday someone from Florida posted to the Baltimore Forum that he was thinking about moving to Baltimore. This resulted is a bunch of posts from the Washington, DC area folks telling him not to do it and generally trashing Baltimore. In fact, the Baltimore Forum is often dominated by a booing section from DC. Are other city's forms dominated by folks from other cities?
It happen quite a bit on here, from what I've seen on here.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:44 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Similar thing happens to Birmingham by some Atlanta boosters.
Jax sees a couple all-negative posters from time to time from Tampa and Miami, but it seems to be more about those posters than the particularly city they're from.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:19 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,669 times
lol What is the logic in doing that? DC is a world-class city, and Atlanta at least aspires to be.....do their posters really need to tear down a city like Baltimore (which I loved visiting, btw) or Birmingham (which I've never been to, but also never heard a bad thing about)???

Old 07-11-2015, 12:13 PM

313 posts, read 337,091 times
That's how people that are very insecure behave , there anonymity lets them belittle others , so they can feel better about themselves . Look how great the city where I reside is , therefore I too I'm great.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:44 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
^True. But sometimes I think (or hope) that it's less sinister than that. Posting on these forums can be addicting, and it's fun to keep tabs on other cities and whats going on. Do that often enough and you will start to post and show your biases for or against certain places. ATL people (and it's not all ATL posters) may get in that same habit, so while it seems they're needlessly bullying Bham, they might just be hanging out too much on the closest moderate-sized metro to them. (like DC-Balto)

Old 07-11-2015, 03:17 PM

44 posts, read 192,871 times
Some people will put down any city that others are attracted to other than theirs. I've seen posters start threads just so they can trash talk about other cities. I saw someone on a New Orleans vs. Richmond thread who was constantly boosting about New Orleans and trashing Richmond. Some people like different things, no need to attack them for it.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:20 PM

469 posts, read 576,986 times
I've found internet forums/message boards in general tend to have many more abrasive, rude, and overall combative people than one encounters in everyday life situations. This one is no different.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:45 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
I've found internet forums/message boards in general tend to have many more abrasive, rude, and overall combative people than one encounters in everyday life situations. This one is no different.
Very true and I think the anonymity of the forums have something to do with that. Even if one mentions issues with a city/area, most times, they can't offer any solution or suggestion in order to correct those issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City