Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 05:34 AM

59 posts, read 59,456 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to relocate to one of these cities in about a year so I still have a plenty of time, I work as accountant so Job Prospects is the main concern.
I love 4 distinct four seasons, Don't mind snow, I like to relocate to a place where people are active and friendly.
sport will be an advantage, I'm addictive to fishing and walking, I love also Hiking and swimming, city with a plan to extend light rail will be a great for the future as I like to have the option to not rely solely on car.

What I really hate is long depressing winters, high crime, unaffordability ,high taxes and unemployment.
cities I love and was thinking of Minneapolis, Denver, Seattle and to a less degree Orlando.

MPLS: is the active and sports and economic prospects and lakes, fishing!
What I hate what I keep hearing about the harsh weather and bugs

Seattle: I love to be near water, Green lush don't mind a lot of rain love the cool weather and Mountains is a plus! also the economy is booming but I hate Seattle Freeze and unaffordability.

Denver: I love The Rockies! the friendliness and activeness, the weather is great , what I hate is the grey trees that's why I love MPLS and Seattle being aside from major cities, I mean Seattle near Vancouver!
I love the state as a whole it's my favorite state but what about fishing there?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 05:58 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,018,252 times
Given your dislike list I'm kind of befuddled as to why you've landed on these cities, as they collectively hit a good bit of those dislike...and Orlando?? Uh-uh. Cities like Sacramento, Atlanta and Charlotte have light rail systems, the characteristic of active friendly residents, reasonable winters/four seasons, lots of tree cover, affordability, etc and would seem to be a better fit...???

Old 04-29-2015, 06:11 AM

59 posts, read 59,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Given your dislike list I'm kind of befuddled as to why you've landed on these cities, as they collectively hit a good bit of those dislike...and Orlando?? Uh-uh. Cities like Sacramento, Atlanta and Charlotte have light rail systems, the characteristic of active friendly residents, reasonable winters/four seasons, lots of tree cover, affordability, etc and would seem to be a better fit...???
I know that I mention dislikes but I believe that every city has it is pros and cons and no place is perfect, So I can live without green lush trees or nearbay Sea or lakes. I was looking for the perfect match specially for accounting jobs and affordability and best city of the three and other advantageous I described.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:08 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,447,831 times
Regarding harsh weather and bugs in Minneapolis: you don't really need to worry about being eaten by mosquitoes unless you're up in the Northwoods. It's not an issue in the city. We usually get about a week in total of exceptionally cold winter weather (not consecutive days); however, those days are often some of the sunniest, brightest days of the season. Nothing in the city stops happening when it's cold, we just bundle up! You'll still see people out biking, jogging, walking, no matter what the weather is like.

4 distinct seasons: Minneapolis > Denver > Seattle
Active people: all three, basically the same
Friendly people: Minneapolis/Denver > Seattle

Sports: Minneapolis/Denver > Seattle
Fishing: Minneapolis/Seattle > Denver
Walking: Seattle > Minneapolis > Denver
Hiking: Denver > Seattle > Minneapolis
Swimming: Minneapolis/Seattle > Denver

Light rail: Denver > Minneapolis/Seattle
Ability to not use a car: Seattle > Minneapolis > Denver

Short winters: Denver > Seattle > Minneapolis
Sunny (ie. less depressing) winters: Denver > Minneapolis > Seattle

Low crime: will depend 100% on your neighborhood
Affordability: Denver > Minneapolis > Seattle
Low taxes: Denver > Minneapolis > Seattle
Employment: Minneapolis > Seattle > Denver

Overall for you I would say it's between Denver and Minneapolis. They are very similar in terms of recreation, activity/sports, and public transportation. Denver has a more forgiving climate, is marginally more affordable, and is right next to the Rockies, but Minneapolis is more walkable and bikable, less isolated, and has much better access to water recreation. Seattle is obviously wonderful too, but it is definitely less of a "seasons" city and it is really not affordable at all anymore.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:42 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,018,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri1983 View Post
I know that I mention dislikes but I believe that every city has it is pros and cons and no place is perfect, So I can live without green lush trees or nearbay Sea or lakes. I was looking for the perfect match specially for accounting jobs and affordability and best city of the three and other advantageous I described.
I would just make sure you're not going off of some imagined state of the cities you seem determined to make fit within your seemingly transitional criteria. A good number of cities exist with accounting jobs and affordability....and some may be better fits. I'm just saying do your homework.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:00 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,202,723 times
I'm curious how Denver is the most affordable of the three cities.....from what I've heard the prices are kind of high, and rising. Which is true?

Old 04-29-2015, 01:07 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,155,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Regarding harsh weather and bugs in Minneapolis: you don't really need to worry about being eaten by mosquitoes unless you're up in the Northwoods. It's not an issue in the city.
It's very much an issue within the city. Out of all the cities I lived in, Minneapolis had the worst biting mosquitos, and those cities included Houston, Atlanta, Miami and Detroit. If you think about it, it makes sense, you have a ton of shallow freshwater lakes and ponds throughout the city, and mosquitoes love to breed in those kind of conditions.

Quote:
We usually get about a week in total of exceptionally cold winter weather (not consecutive days); however, those days are often some of the sunniest, brightest days of the season. Nothing in the city stops happening when it's cold, we just bundle up! You'll still see people out biking, jogging, walking, no matter what the weather is like
The cold weather in Minneapolis is atrocious for the vast majority of people there. Being a homer on CD won't fix this issue. I lived there for a year, and in Minneapolis I literally refused to go to certain days to work because of well, the bitter cold. Locals, and I mean true locals (born and raised) generally hated the winter, stayed inside most of it (I was friends with many of them). Yes every now and then they partook in cross country skiing, they had to shovel snow I guess, but for most part it was deep cabin fever season. Summer on the other hand, was all about outdoors. In corporate Minneapolis, they even acknowledge that during the Summer season (Memorial Day to Labor Day) you could leave earlier, in essence no 8 hour day, to combat the cabin fever of the winter. What you describe is pure deceptive fraud, and for what reason?

Old 04-29-2015, 01:12 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,202,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
It's very much an issue within the city. Out of all the cities I lived in, Minneapolis had the worst biting mosquitos, and those cities included Houston, Atlanta, Miami and Detroit. If you think about it, it makes sense, you have a ton of shallow freshwater lakes and ponds throughout the city, and mosquitoes love to breed in those kind of conditions.

The cold weather in Minneapolis is atrocious for the vast majority of people there. Being a homer on CD won't fix this issue. I lived there for a year, and in Minneapolis I literally refused to go to certain days to work because of well, the bitter cold. Locals, and I mean true locals (born and raised) generally hated the winter, stayed inside most of it (I was friends with many of them). Yes every now and then they partook in cross country skiing, they had to shovel snow I guess, but for most part it was deep cabin fever season. Summer on the other hand, was all about outdoors. In corporate Minneapolis, they even acknowledge that during the Summer season (Memorial Day to Labor Day) you could leave earlier, in essence no 8 hour day, to combat the cabin fever of the winter. What you describe is pure deceptive fraud, and for what reason?
Why do you continue to troll threads with Midwestern cities in the titles?

Your one year of experiences does not trump every other person's experiences, most of which are much longer than one year. I've lived there for 20+ years and I don't think Steel03 said anything that wasn't plausibly deniable (or, open to interpretation, not facts). For instance, mosquitoes are not nearly as bad in the city as they are in the suburbs or further North. Anyone who has lived there would say the same. I also notice WAY more people outside during winter than just about any city in this country, except maybe places where winters are pleasant, like Phoenix or your beloved Miami.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:16 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,155,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Your one year of experiences does not trump every other person's experiences, most of which are much longer than one year. I've lived there for 20+ years and I don't think Steel03 said anything that wasn't plausibly deniable. For instance, mosquitoes are not nearly as bad in the city as they are in the suburbs or further North. Anyone who has lived there would say the same.
Because you guys are being homers, and literally dressing up what maybe is the most dangerous winter weather out of all major cities in the continental USA as "not so bad".

Let's be honest, Minneapolis is not just uncomfortable in the winter, it's down right dangerous. On the colder days they have initiatives to get the homeless off the streets, they close schools. On one of the colder days I saw, Macys was only opened abridged hours.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:17 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,931,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Why do you continue to troll threads with Midwestern cities in the titles?

Your one year of experiences does not trump every other person's experiences, most of which are much longer than one year. I've lived there for 20+ years and I don't think Steel03 said anything that wasn't plausibly deniable. For instance, mosquitoes are not nearly as bad in the city as they are in the suburbs or further North. Anyone who has lived there would say the same.
SDPMiami is insecure...no other explanation. I've lived in Wisconsin for a long time, now, and know for a fact, that most take advantage of winter activities...that's what winter clothing is for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City