Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:30 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,432,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBound41 View Post
Dude, enough. Maybe if you poll retirees... but you seriously are out of touch. In my life I've literally heard nobody under 40 say they desire a permanent move to Phoenix. Economic reasons may drive some younger people there, but it's NOT a desirable market for a majority of people under 40.
This; in the Midwest, Arizona has a reputation as a place to retire.

With that said, I'd move to Arizona in a heartbeat (I need a change of scenery). What industries are hiring in Phoenix? Would a company help pay for a recent grad to relocate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 08:29 AM

30,458 posts, read 19,224,680 times
Quote:
Dude, enough. Maybe if you poll retirees... but you seriously are out of touch. In my life I've literally heard nobody under 40 say they desire a permanent move to Phoenix. Economic reasons may drive some younger people there, but it's NOT a desirable market for a majority of people under 40.
My son is in college and wants to move to Phoenix when he graduates. He is a dedicated Libertarian and 2nd Amendment advocate and believes Arizona is the best state politically for him. His father (me) and Mother like Zona for the same reasons.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:15 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,432,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
My son is in college and wants to move to Phoenix when he graduates. He is a dedicated Libertarian and 2nd Amendment advocate and believes Arizona is the best state politically for him. His father (me) and Mother like Zona for the same reasons.
That makes sense. I have a good buddy who is a lawyer for the NRA; he lives in Tucson.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
That makes sense. I have a good buddy who is a lawyer for the NRA; he lives in Tucson.
That's my son's dream job. He's thinking about going to law school after he graduates in the hopes of doing the same.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:01 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,973,982 times
Quote:
Its clear you have no idea what youre talking about, nor have you lived here. Anyone who has lived in Phoenix can tell you that the vast, vast, vast majority of Phoenicians hail from California, and the second biggest group, far and away, are Midwesterners. And if you think theyre all reitrees, that shows just how ignorant you are on the matter. The Valley is extremely youthful, and many people from the Midwest (old and young alike) relocate here because they love it. Theres a reason Phoenix has the nickname "Chicago west" and "Detroit South" or "Minneapolis SW", Ive heard em all.

Where Americans Are Moving - Forbes

Midwest Migration | Michigan Radio

https://ebr.eller.arizona.edu/resear...flows_2011.asp

Old 07-31-2015, 12:06 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,045,893 times
I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but I would say Denver because of its sustainability. Water seems to be a looming issue for Phoenix. Plus the online university is about to get the hammer.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:19 PM

245 posts, read 324,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Its clear you have no idea what youre talking about, nor have you lived here. Anyone who has lived in Phoenix can tell you that the vast, vast, vast majority of Phoenicians hail from California, and the second biggest group, far and away, are Midwesterners. And if you think theyre all reitrees, that shows just how ignorant you are on the matter. The Valley is extremely youthful, and many people from the Midwest (old and young alike) relocate here because they love it. Theres a reason Phoenix has the nickname "Chicago west" and "Detroit South" or "Minneapolis SW", Ive heard em all.

Please show me some data which indicates younger people are flocking to Phoenix and that is more desirable than Denver for these people.

BTW, I visit Phoenix at least once a year and I'm aware there are plenty of young people there. Phoenix just isn't a desired location like Seattle, Portland, Denver, etc...which you don't seem to quite understand.

Still waiting for you to back this quote up:

"Ive never run into a young person who thinks Denver is "more hip" than Phoenix. Unless theyre a pasty, heat-hating, Starbucks-type hipster, they wont choose Denver over Phoenix. "

Last edited by DenverBound41; 07-31-2015 at 12:35 PM..

Old 07-31-2015, 12:22 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,942,629 times
Quote:

I'm not debating that people are moving to AZ, I'm debating your assertion that that a) people moving to CO are doing so because they have to, not because they want to, and b) Phoenix has has a brighter future because teenagers and retirees love the hot weather and want to move there.

The movers and shakers- and industries of tomorrow are calling Denver and the Front Range home, but there is very little to suggest that Phoenix is experiencing anything like that. The numbers that you posted do little to sway anyone's informed opinions.

Both states are growing, with CO at a slightly faster clip. But CO is rapidly becoming known for higher end job growth and is attracting educated millenials, while AZ doesn't seem to be doing anything along those lines and is much more of a traditional sunbelt metropolis. Again, on an economic level, Phoenix tends to be an underperformer, while Denver tends to overperform. If your criteria for a brighter future is number of tank tops, tract homes, and Buicks sold, then yes- I'll give Phoenix the nod. Otherwise, I'll stick by Denver in this competition.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:47 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,973,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Shhhh, dont tell the CO guys that PHX is desireable for young people.

Id love to give these guys a ticket here to PHX just so they could see the endless amounts of young families relocating here. The influx is mind-boggling. And much to their dismay, there are a lot of Coloradans (young and old) relocating here. I have at least 3 Colorado license plates in our condo complex, all young professionals.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Shhhh, dont tell the CO guys that PHX is desireable for young people.

Id love to give these guys a ticket here to PHX just so they could see the endless amounts of young families relocating here. The influx is mind-boggling. And much to their dismay, there are a lot of Coloradans (young and old) relocating here. I have at least 3 Colorado license plates in our condo complex, all young professionals.
According to City Data statistical site, the average age in Phoenix is 32.8 and the average age in Denver is 34.1. I love Phoenix myself and I like Denver a lot as well Overall, I prefer Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City