Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston and SF pass Chicago and Los Angeles
Yes 10 10.31%
No 68 70.10%
Maybe 23 23.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 03:43 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,154,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This day spa is too crowded and that annoys me.
Come to the Acqualina in Miami, I'm very good with one of the masseurs there, get tissue + facial + pedicure + manicure for only 900. Normally that combo would be something like 1500. I go every week to keep myself fresh. And best of all, no crowds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 03:48 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
It's not a surprise that no one wants to touch this:

Like I said,Facts are facts. Aside from some entertainment production and related fields, shipping/ transport, and some kinds of manufacturing, the Bay Area goes toe-to-toe with LA in most industries and just crushes LA in three of the most important: Finance, Technology and Energy.
Isolating technology and comparing SF and LA is akin to isolated entertainment and comparing LA to SF...

Old 07-24-2015, 03:52 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topanga88 View Post
..furthermore, no one thinks of San Francisco when we log onto Facebook LOL.

LA occupies more space in people's mind. It's a bigger, more iconic, more important city. And that's that.

Sort of like U.S.A. versus smaller countries that perform well when it comes to X and Y. But the United States is simply bigger, more important and more powerful.. Get over it.
Oh, "more space on people's minds"?

Top 100 Global Brands, 2015

Southern California: 1 brand in the top 100
19 Disney

San Francisco Bay: 13 brands in the top 100
1 Apple
2 Google
5 Visa
12 Facebook
16 Wells Fargo
39 HP
44 Oracle
56 Intel
67 Cisco
73 eBay
85 LinkedIn
88 PayPal
92 Twitter

https://www.millwardbrown.com/BrandZ...p100_Chart.pdf

So yeah...how is this even possible given your massive size? Food for thought.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:52 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
Quote:
I just said that as a bit of snark really.

But then, now that I think about it, hmmm who knows?
No doubt about that, the San Francisco Bay Area is a complete beast.

Here is a look at all the places all over the world that want to emulate Silicon Valley: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...licon%22_names

Old 07-24-2015, 04:05 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,644,166 times
Quote:
Oh, "more space on people's minds"?

Top 100 Global Brands, 2015

Southern California: 1 brand in the top 100
19 Disney

San Francisco Bay: 13 brands in the top 100
1 Apple
2 Google
5 Visa
12 Facebook
16 Wells Fargo
39 HP
44 Oracle
56 Intel
67 Cisco
73 eBay
85 LinkedIn
88 PayPal
92 Twitter

https://www.millwardbrown.com/BrandZ...p100_Chart.pdf

So yeah...how is this even possible given your massive size? Food for thought.
Speaking of brands...

The world cities with the most powerful brands - get the data | Cities | The Guardian

Seemed relevant since you were harping on and on about "prestige" a few pages back.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:06 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,179,323 times
Quote:
It's not a surprise that no one wants to touch this:

Like I said,Facts are facts. Aside from some entertainment production and related fields, shipping/ transport, and some kinds of manufacturing, the Bay Area goes toe-to-toe with LA in most industries and just crushes LA in three of the most important: Finance, Technology and Energy.

I just said that as a bit of snark really.

But then, now that I think about it, hmmm who knows?
Aside from entertainment, shipping and manufacturing? Lol you just picked the three fields where L.A. "just crushes" S.F. That's why no one wants to touch your argument--it's poorly constructed and misleading. The Bay Area company stats you keep posting are impressive, but don't discount Los Angeles entirely. There's a lot more "soft" power there than you care to admit. Plus, there's still Disney!

Old 07-24-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Aside from entertainment, shipping and manufacturing? Lol you just picked the three fields where L.A. "just crushes" S.F. That's why no one wants to touch your argument--it's poorly constructed and misleading. The Bay Area company stats you keep posting are impressive, but don't discount Los Angeles entirely. There's a lot more "soft" power there than you care to admit. Plus, there's still Disney!
Er, the Bay Area beats LA in manufacturing GDP. No crushing there.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Speaking of brands...

The world cities with the most powerful brands - get the data | Cities | The Guardian

Seemed relevant since you were harping on and on about "prestige" a few pages back.
Yes I was the first one to use this ranking on c-d talking up LA.

Oh, and prestige has very little bearing on this ranking.

Furthermore, San Francisco is also among the world's Top 10. Isnt that wonderful?

Lol

Old 07-24-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Come to the Acqualina in Miami, I'm very good with one of the masseurs there, get tissue + facial + pedicure + manicure for only 900. Normally that combo would be something like 1500. I go every week to keep myself fresh. And best of all, no crowds.
Sounds great.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:01 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Aside from entertainment, shipping and manufacturing? Lol you just picked the three fields where L.A. "just crushes" S.F. That's why no one wants to touch your argument--it's poorly constructed and misleading.
It's like saying "outside of poverty, corruption and colonialism there's not a big difference between Haiti and Switzerland". Yeah, and? Even if shipping and manufacturing were big zeros in LA, the fact that it's an entertainment colossus secures LA's dominance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City