Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the New York of the South?
Atlanta 20 36.36%
Miami 20 36.36%
Houston 8 14.55%
Dallas 2 3.64%
Other (Post It) 5 9.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 03:39 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Historically, NOLA and Atlanta held this title due to their regional economic importance.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:24 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,144 times
Miami is the only one of these that has been referred to as the 6th borough...

All jokes aside, Miami easily "wins" this, with Atlanta a distant second. Atlanta has the taller buildings, heavy rail and larger corporate presence, along with NYCs African American demographics. But Miami is so much more cosmopolitan than even Atlanta, with huge Jewish, Latin and European populations. It's also more of a 24/7 type of "city" (Miami Beach, Hollywood, etc). Add in the NYC--Miami air route, all the ex New Yorkers, and how is this up for debate?

Old 08-04-2015, 05:03 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Miami is the only one of these that has been referred to as the 6th borough...

All jokes aside, Miami easily "wins" this, with Atlanta a distant second. Atlanta has the taller buildings, heavy rail and larger corporate presence, along with NYCs African American demographics. But Miami is so much more cosmopolitan than even Atlanta, with huge Jewish, Latin and European populations. It's also more of a 24/7 type of "city" (Miami Beach, Hollywood, etc). Add in the NYC--Miami air route, all the ex New Yorkers, and how is this up for debate?
Because there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:04 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,912,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
As someone who lived in Miami (specifically on South Beach) I'd say it doesn't particularly feel like America let alone New York.

Atlanta seems more like a parallel to DC.

Although an argument could be made for DC being technically southern...

Not sure where Dallas fits.

From a diversity, size, and a total offerings standpoint I'd say Houston.

Although realistically there is no New York of the South.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:14 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
As someone who lived in Miami (specifically on South Beach) I'd say it doesn't particularly feel like America let alone New York.

Atlanta seems more like a parallel to DC.

Although an argument could be made for DC being technically southern...

Not sure where Dallas fits.

From a diversity, size, and a total offerings standpoint I'd say Houston.

Although realistically there is no New York of the South.
Well, I've lived in both quite recently, including South Beach, and I'll have to disagree with you. There are PLENTY of parts of NYC where you don't feel like you're in America (Washington Heights, South Bronx, Sunset Park, Brighton Beach, Borough Park, pretty much all of Queens, etc.). In this regard, Miami feels incredibly like NYC.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:55 PM

830 posts, read 1,019,184 times
Atlanta - NYC of South
Dallas - Chicago of South
Houston - LA of South
Austin - Portland of South
Birmingham - Pittsburgh of South
Memphis - St. Louis of South
New Orleans - New Orleans
Charlotte - Philly of South
Research Triangle - San Jose of South
Hampton Roads - San Diego of South
Richmond - Boston of South
Miami - Panama City of USA

Old 08-04-2015, 08:25 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,428,754 times
I find it hilarious that people are obsessing over 'why we should not want a New York of the South'. At no point in this thread is a desire for a New York of the South mentioned.

And the question is so broad that it can be interpreted in a myriad of ways. Of course there is only one New York. But what about relative regional economic importance or other factors? It's an interesting question that people for some reason feel apprehensive to answer.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:08 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Because it's ridiculous. I would rather Atlanta be the Atlanta of the South and Houston be the Houston of the South and Miami be the Miami of the South and Charleston be the Charleston of the South. Forget trying to be a New York of the South. It will never happen.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:18 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,498,832 times
A Lot of people do not see Houston and Dallas, or Texas in general, as being particularly southern, so I think that gives Atlanta and Miami a distinct advantage to be considered anything "of the south"...

Old 08-04-2015, 11:47 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,428,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Because it's ridiculous. I would rather Atlanta be the Atlanta of the South and Houston be the Houston of the South and Miami be the Miami of the South and Charleston be the Charleston of the South. Forget trying to be a New York of the South. It will never happen.
If you take the title to a literal extreme, yes it's ridiculous. But no where is it specifically indicated that the title "New York of the South" is meant to be an exact replication. If that's your interpretation, so be it, but you're the one at fault for thinking that's the direction of the question. It's an intentionally broad statement.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City