Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 02:58 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Exactly; if you are going to brag about a city (explain its offerings), why talk about how close it is to another city? That implies that the city doesn't have much to begin with.
Who on this thread has used this as the basis for why they'd pick Milwaukee? I'm not seeing a single example
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 04:17 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,760,657 times
Even without Chicago, I'd put Milwaukee on any top 10-15 list of larger U.S. cities. Very livable, pleasant, and plenty to do.
Public transit would be its only real shortcoming.
Houston's lack of any real urban planning and cohesiveness ruins it for me. It had potential to be a neat subtropical place with lush greenery, palm trees, etc. However, the build anything anywhere mentality makes the place look awful and cheap in my opinion.
But, that's what draws people there as well. They seem happy with it, just not my thing.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:20 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,581 times
I dont understand all the people bringing up Chicago as a reason to like Milwaukee.

As much as I hate Wisconsin winters, I think I would actually choose Milwaukee's weather over Houston's. Extreme heat in addition to dew points in the 70's is not fun. No thank you.

Milwaukee is big enough. Has some quality museums, marinas, shorelines, live music, pro sports, festivals everywhere, etc.
It's drawbacks are high taxes and high crime... However, the crime can be disregarded in this comparison considering Houston's is worse.

Transportation is so-so in Milwaukee. Public transit is solid (especially with the upcoming streetcar being put into place)... However, road construction never ends. The constant freezing/thawing and poor planning has the interstates and interchanges torn up ALL the time. The streets are a simple N/S/E/W grid with several diagonal options running through the city.

Milwaukee is more racially segregated than Houston.

Homes are more difficult to maintain with the back and fourth of Summer and Winters. Foundation issues can arise since nearly every home in SE Wisconsin will have a basement (that hopefully doesn't leak). Winter heating bills can be staggering.

Nights out in Milwaukee are fun - people are approachable and the town isn't full of people trying hard to be something they're not. Dive bar galore.

Overall, I would take Milwaukee over Houston.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:07 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
Milwaukee...mainly because I prefer its climate and Brew City is really fun.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:27 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Very weird to compare these two cities....again. Wonder if we'll hear from the OP again??
Well... still just ONE post since the 8th.

I doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City