Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Area?
Triad 17 28.81%
Hampton Roads 42 71.19%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 08:47 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
No, it isn't.

Now this is laughable!

Hardly. And Smithfield? LOL!!!
I mean I think DT Norfolk wins because of the harbor. But this guy is still badly overrating it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 08:58 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
My girlfriend is from North Carolina, and we now live in Norfolk. She said Winston has a small city downtown. She says it's nice enough, and it's "kinda" artistic, but she says it's much smaller than Downtown Norfolk, and that Downtown Norfolk isn't less artsy, and is definitely busier...

Old 11-15-2017, 11:20 AM

386 posts, read 986,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
My girlfriend is from North Carolina, and we now live in Norfolk. She said Winston has a small city downtown. She says it's nice enough, and it's "kinda" artistic, but she says it's much smaller than Downtown Norfolk, and that Downtown Norfolk isn't less artsy, and is definitely busier...
I have a friend from Winston Salem that made similar comments when describing the cities. My friend currently lives in Baltimore, but spent a summer living in Norfolk with some family members. He mentioned how he enjoyed spending time in Norfolk and how much more vibrant and busy Norfolk was compared to WS. He also talked about taking the light rail in Norfolk. I plan to visit Winston Salem next year; however, I have spent time in Greensboro and some of the outskirt areas before. Nonetheless, I would say that Hampton Roads is the clear cut winner using most metrics. Hampton Roads is a more dynamic region than the Triad overall.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:03 PM

1,021 posts, read 910,268 times
Ok, Ill weigh in on this as a ODU grad who was born in North Carolina and has lived up and down the east coast. This will probably ruffle some feathers but I am going to assume that I'm pretty knowledgeable on these cities seeing as how I have actually lived in both areas.

I believe that overall the Hampton Roads area is the more dynamic but I do believe that it is a lot closer than people realize. North Carolina doesn't do a lot to market their cities to the world. Its more of a take it or leave type of state. It knows what it is good at and doesn't try to be something its not. The triad is also a lot less sleepy than some would believe

As far as downtowns go(this is where I start to offend) I think that downtown Winston Salem is wayyyyyyyyy better than downtown Norfolk. I do no disagree that downtown Norfolk is probably better from an economic/office space stand point, however, I am speaking strictly about which downtown I like better. I think that Downtown Norfolk is one of the worst downtowns in the state of Virginia. There is literally nothing down there besides the mall, waterside, a couple hotels and housing projects. Winston Salem's downtown could be more comparable to a smaller version of Richmond's core. There are more local shops, restaurants, galleries ect in downtown Winston Salem and it is all around just a more fun place to find yourself in than downtown Norfolk.

As far as historic neighborhoods go(here is where I ruffle more feathers) I do not think that Old Salem gives the Triad a 1 up in this regard. I believe that the combination of Ghent, Freemason District, the historic parts of ocean view and Olde Town Portsmouth leaves the two areas on equal footing, more or less. I actually think a lot of people downplay or don't realize how much of a gem Olde Town Portsmouth is.

Anywho, that's my two cents.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:24 PM

20 posts, read 30,094 times
Fisher Park, Irving Park, College Hill, Aycock, Sunset Hills in Greensboro and Ardmore, Old Salem, West End & Buena Vista in Winston-Salem all match up to any of the city neighborhoods in Hampton Roads. In my opinion the Triad is one of the more underrated regions in the U.S

Old 11-16-2017, 02:33 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I'm not familiar with downtown Winston-Salem, but I'm confident in saying Downtown Norfolk is greater than anything in the Triad. It's larger with a better historic build and better vibrancy than Downtown Greensboro for sure.
As it so happens, Winston-Salem does indeed have a stronger downtown than Greensboro despite being the smaller city of the two, and it does make the comparison close. It also has a better complement of historic neighborhoods than other NC cities, thanks to Old Salem.

I'm not going to weigh in on the metro vs metro though. I don't have an opinion about either.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:34 PM

20 posts, read 30,094 times
Norfolk is definitely way more urban than any of the Triad cities though. I just think the a fore mentioned neighborhoods match those in Norfolk in Aesthetic Beauty

Old 11-16-2017, 08:26 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,365 times
I'm sorry. The Triad is very nice but it has nothing that compares to Gehnt (especially the Hauge), the Freemason district or Old Towne Portsmouth. Wilmington may be the only place in NC that can compare.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:42 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,496,311 times
I live in the Triangle (not the triad!!) and my vote goes pretty easily to Hampton Roads. HR has more sketchy areas and higher crime, but is eons more interesting and urban, feels a lot larger and is in a good location near the water. Triad is cool...W-S and Gboro have impressive music scenes for cities their size. High Point doesn't even belong in the discussion despite being a principal city in the Triad...its a nonfactor. Small, conservative, boring and uninteresting. I'd rather live in Norfolk than anywhere in the Triad.
Although if it was Triangle vs HR the Triangle would win
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City