Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 05:44 PM

2,729 posts, read 6,123,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I gave Chicago the waterfront category because the city/downtown itself backs up to Lake Michigan and makes for a pretty picturesque scene.
Sure, I can see an argument being made for Chicago's lake front. But Philly? Over Marina Del Rey, Venice Beach and Santa Monica? That's a bold statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 06:11 PM

37,902 posts, read 42,048,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Sure, I can see an argument being made for Chicago's lake front. But Philly? Over Marina Del Rey, Venice Beach and Santa Monica? That's a bold statement.
Yeah I wouldn't put Philly over LA here.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:57 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,894,571 times
Quote:
Without checking the stats, I'm almost certain LA handily beats Chicago in diversity.
Overall, I think most people would agree that LA is more diverse than Chicago, but if you consider the balance of different races/ethnicities, Chicago is really diverse. Chicago is roughly 1/3 white, 1/3 black, and 1/3 Hispanic. It is also 5% Asian. Then if you breakdown white further there are huge ethnic Polish and Irish populations here, as well as sizable Italian, Ukranian, and Greek. Devon is one of the largest "Little India" in the country. There are large Chinese and Filipino populations in both the city and the burbs (although obviously not as large as LA). The Hispanic population is almost all Mexican, but we have the 3rd largest Puerto Rican population (mostly live in Humbolt Park neighborhood) behind NYC and Philly. The black population is almost all African American, with not too many Africans or Carribeans. The overall percentage of African Americans is larger in Chicago than LA.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:10 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,409,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Overall, I think most people would agree that LA is more diverse than Chicago, but if you consider the balance of different races/ethnicities, Chicago is really diverse. Chicago is roughly 1/3 white, 1/3 black, and 1/3 Hispanic. It is also 5% Asian. Then if you breakdown white further there are huge ethnic Polish and Irish populations here, as well as sizable Italian, Ukranian, and Greek. Devon is one of the largest "Little India" in the country. There are large Chinese and Filipino populations in both the city and the burbs (although obviously not as large as LA). The Hispanic population is almost all Mexican, but we have the 3rd largest Puerto Rican population (mostly live in Humbolt Park neighborhood) behind NYC and Philly. The black population is almost all African American, with not too many Africans or Carribeans. The overall percentage of African Americans is larger in Chicago than LA.
---

Old 09-09-2015, 08:13 PM

66 posts, read 74,597 times
Quote:
Yeah I wouldn't put Philly over LA here.

The immediate downtown area absolutely, and that's what I value most. Cities on water. Philadelphia has come a long way in that dept.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:21 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,186,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetUser2015 View Post
The immediate downtown area absolutely, and that's what I value most. Cities on water. Philadelphia has come a long way in that dept.
The Delaware and Schuylkill get the job done, but they aren't exactly top dog picturesque. I wouldn't put the Philly views over Venice Beach, but to each their own.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:47 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,477,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
I've been here two years. I don't see gangs anywhere.
Your numbers are probably from the 90s.

I've never seem a crime period.
What part of LA do you live in? Lol west side? I lived in phoenix for 16 years and never saw crime, lived in DC for 3 and never saw crime, that was just because of the area that I was in and my numbers are from the 21st century actually.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:09 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,996,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
What part of LA do you live in? Lol west side? I lived in phoenix for 16 years and never saw crime, lived in DC for 3 and never saw crime, that was just because of the area that I was in and my numbers are from the 21st century actually.
Can you post them please? Like actual crime statistics compared to the cities you just mentioned and others around the USA.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:17 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,477,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Can you post them please? Like actual crime statistics compared to the cities you just mentioned and others around the USA.
you can look them up.

In terms of gangs this is a direct quote "Los Angeles has been nicknamed the Gang Capital of America, with an estimated 120,000 gang members as of 2007."

I live in LA so why would I want there to be crime. It's just so funny to me all the people in the west side bubble thinking LA is some sort of safe heaven. YES it is if you live in the west side bubble, but outside of that bubble it's a whole different city.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:19 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,996,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
you can look them up.

In terms of gangs this is a direct quote "Los Angeles has been nicknamed the Gang Capital of America, with an estimated 120,000 gang members as of 2007."

I live in LA so why would I want there to be crime. It's just so funny to me all the people in the west side bubble thinking LA is some sort of safe heaven. YES it is if you live in the west side bubble, but outside of that bubble it's a whole different city.
Well, I don't live on the West side so I don't get what your getting at.

Or you can stop making things up, and post actual crime statistics

Its ok if you do not like Los Angeles. Totally reasonable. But you can't just make things up. Especially things like crime. LA is safer than Dallas, and Philly. That is just a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City