Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 10:16 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,341,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I guess I am not a good judge of things.

Nashville food scene is OK. There are better cities and there are worse. New Orleans is one of those places you can't play with when it comes to food. Definitely world class.

Lots hooyooing on Broadway. That answers the destination bachelorette thingy. But none of that is me. I did see NY eve broadcast. If I was more into rock n roll and country I would be more intrigued by the entertainment there. Btw, New Orleans did outrank Nashville in live music according to thril list.

No amusement park. The zoo is pathetic. The cultural institutions are not competitive with what I've found in other places. Shopping is improving fast but still not on par with other cities. For an arts buff the city is really lacking. Live theater doesn't crack the top 10.

I am impressed with Nashvilles growth and the transformation that is taking place. As a place for me and friends to hang out for the weekend it doesn't cross our minds. Other cities like New Orleans, Chicago, Indianapolis, Vegas, South Beach, Atlanta and Kansas City gets chosen over Nashville.
I'm not going to try to convince you that you should vacation more in Nashville. It sounds like you have already made up your mind.

In terms of Nashville vs. New Orleans for a tourist, I can easily understand why someone would pick New Orleans. It's a fun place, for sure. Plenty to do.

But to address some of your specific comments....

Nashville's food scene is "OK"? A lot of critics would disagree. Perhaps not 'world class', but Nashville's food scene has received countless accolades, especially recently. The city has a lot to offer, from the Southern comfort fare it is known for, to all kinds of more worldly options. The food scene has exploded in the last 15 or so years. Before that, I would tend to agree. Nashville used to have a few good options, but it was more one-dimensional. Now? Not so much. Plenty of critically acclaimed restaurants. In fact, it dominated the most recent list of Southern Living's best restaurants in the South.

The bachelorette thing isn't for you? Me neither. I'm a guy. But I have no issues finding a plethora of entertainment, almost entirely outside of downtown. The downtown bars and honkytonks are for the tourists. Sure, it's good for the occasional good time, or showing around guests. But if I'm out with friends, I'm going to other bars or clubs, and I am not particularly a fan of twangy Country Music. Still, I have no problems finding a good time. Quite a few neighborhoods surrounding downtown offer good food and nightlife without the plasticy tourist feel. Even some well outside of town and into the burbs.

No amusement park? Well, there's Nashville Shores, but it's a water park, and not my thing. Opryland used to fill that void, but it's been gone for a while now. But now I am a grownup, and amusement parks aren't exactly my thing. I think it would be a great thing to have, but among entertainment options, it's low on my list. I'm more of a sports guy, and there's plenty here to keep me happy.

The zoo is pathetic? That's certainly not the word I would choose. It may not be up to snuff with the top zoos in the country, but I don't think people would be coming to Nashville just to see the zoo. The zoo is perfectly fine for the locals, and has been improving ever since it moved to its current site. There are ambitious plans for its future as well.

Cultural institutions....I'll give you that Nashville isn't a huge theatre destination. However, we do have one of the best children's theatres in the country. There is a little local gem in the Darkhorse Theater, but I'm guessing you never ventured there. The Nashville Symphony is a good asset for a city of our size, and plays in a beautiful hall just south of downtown. The Frist isn't a world class art gallery, but it does have some good exhibits, and the setting is really cool (old main post office). Cheekwood is a really cool destination, though, and has some really fantastic exhibits (the Chihuly exhibit was one of my favorite exhibits at any art institution). Then, of course, you can't forget the Country Music Hall of Fame when you're in Nashville. Forget whether or not you like Country Music. It's a special place.

Maybe it isn't good enough for you and your friends to hang out. I don't really care. I don't want people to come here that don't want to be here. Because those are the people that have a bad time endlessly about it. Plenty of other people love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 11:31 PM

9,686 posts, read 9,412,970 times
- Bar Scene - New Orleans

- Walkability - New Orleans

- Museums and Parks - Museums/New Orleans, Parks/Nashville

- Restaurants (food in general) - New Orleans

- Unique Attractions - New Orleans

Nashville to live, New Orleans to visit anytime of the year (summer is a better time to visit though)

Old 10-27-2015, 12:03 AM

620 posts, read 1,199,440 times
Nashville has Nashville style hot chicken fish and hot fish. I grabbed some in San Francisco at a restaurant off the Embarcadero this month. Also KFC debuted Nashville style hot chicken Pittsburgh this year, and Captain D's did Nashville style hot fish in Jacksonville and St. Louis. KFC stated that they will soon make it a part of all their restaurants.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:10 AM

9,686 posts, read 9,412,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
Nashville has Nashville style hot chicken fish and hot fish. I grabbed some in San Francisco at a restaurant off the Embarcadero this month. Also KFC debuted Nashville style hot chicken Pittsburgh this year, and Captain D's did Nashville style hot fish in Jacksonville and St. Louis. KFC stated that they will soon make it a part of all their restaurants.
lawsuit.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
lawsuit.
Really? That would be a bummer. Nashville style will be as famous as the Philly Cheese steak if KFC makes it national. Why hasn't there been a lawsuit already as Nashville style has been debuted in Pittsburgh?

Last edited by BayAreaDave; 10-27-2015 at 12:24 AM..

Old 10-27-2015, 11:29 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,050,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxplaya005 View Post
Which city is better to visit in the winter (I am thinking about going in February)? And which city has a better:

- Bar Scene

- Walkability

- Museums and Parks

- Restaurants (food in general)

- Unique Attractions
I'd pick New Orleans pretty handily and give it the edge in every category listed. Weather will be better as well but I'm from New England so weather in either isn't really a concern.

I'll be honest, Nashville isn't a bad city. I didn't dislike it. But it is one of the places that never really came close to the hype for me. I've been twice for a grand total of 9 days so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I can see how it could beat New Orleans as a place to live, but I just can't imagine a tourist going to both and feeling that they're comparable. I don't have family, friends, or anything that would give me a bias towards one or the other. Still, New Orleans is an infinitely more fun city to visit in my opinion. Obviously, if you're really into Country Music or a huge Vandy fan, Nashville may be better; but I think in general New Orleans is the much better city to visit.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:06 PM

Nashville tops nation in Global Travel searches

Study: Nashville tops nation in global travel searches

Old 10-27-2015, 05:35 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times

Old 10-27-2015, 06:22 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,341,054 times
LMAO

Perfect.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:41 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,733,169 times
Hilarious picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
Nashville tops nation in Global Travel searches

Study: Nashville tops nation in global travel searches
And on a related note, this just popped up in my FB feed. I don't agree that it's a top 10 place in the world, but it's definitely an interesting and unique place to visit. Anyone who hasn't been here in the last 2-3 years would be shocked by all the growth, esp downtown. New ballpark, new amphitheater, new waterfront park, all nicely tied in with the gorgeous walking bridge and tons of new restaurants and bars.

http://wkrn.com/2015/10/27/report-nashville-among-top-10-travel-destinations-in-the-world/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City