Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which style of Mexican Food do you prefer?
Texas (TexMex) 78 54.55%
California (CaliMex) 68 47.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 08:33 PM

218 posts, read 220,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Corn tortillas are a staple of Mexican food
Not in the northeast. That goes to flower tortillas. However, for the rest of Mexico you are correct. Corn tortillas are eaten at every meal.

Last edited by rdz1979; 06-20-2017 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: Correcting of typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 03:21 AM

14,680 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Cal-Mex is less defined than Tex-Mex, but usually includes fresher ingredients (like vegetables) and California creations like fish tacos. Tex-Mex is heavier on Northern Mexico traits like beef, shredded cheese, refried beans, flour tortillas. Most Mexican-American food is based off Tex-Mex.
I prefer California-style Mexican food, personally.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:34 AM

106 posts, read 96,003 times
Texmex

Old 06-25-2017, 08:29 AM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Cal-Mex is less defined than Tex-Mex, but usually includes fresher ingredients (like vegetables) and California creations like fish tacos. Tex-Mex is heavier on Northern Mexico traits like beef, shredded cheese, refried beans, flour tortillas. Most Mexican-American food is based off Tex-Mex.
I prefer California-style Mexican food, personally.
Fish tacos are a California creation in the sense that they were created in Baja California, but that's still from Mexico. In terms of things with a California (the state) genesis, it'd be things like the Mission burrito, packed burritos in general, carne asada fries, and East Asian fusion stuff like kalbi tacos.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:39 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,036,841 times
Surprised nobody mentioned fajitas originated in Texas.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:52 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Corn tortillas are a staple of Mexican food
Yep, flour tortillas are pretty bad too.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:51 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,502 times
I prefer Tex-Mex, but Cal-Mex is pretty good too. Better yet, i think they are equal..

Old 06-27-2017, 03:10 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yep, flour tortillas are pretty bad too.
Even the fresh, homemade flour tortillas? I ask because I know the good ones are hard to find, even here in TX.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,699 times
Ca Mexican food I have noticed to be more flavorful. If tried the street tacos in both places but wasn’t impressed with Texas but then again the only city I e tried was el pasoand it’s been a bust for the most part. Very bland

Old 08-02-2018, 05:17 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,310 times
I'm gonna kick-start this thread because I just stumbled onto it and I think it's still of interest to people.

I'm from Texas (Houston), but have lifelong family ties to the LA area. I can't help but think LA must have more "authentic" Mexican food places, but I haven't experienced them yet. Like Houston, LA seems to predominantly have places that modify (or make up) the cuisine to suit Anglo (and other) tastes. Which is natural, because they want their business to be as profitable as it can be. Even the places that cater to a Spanish-speaking clientele aren't naturally going to be representative of the best, for various reasons.

Another aspect is, if one is going for places that reflect the person or persons who run it, it's very individual. There is a place near the Port of Houston that had the best cochinita pibil I ever had (even compared to places I had it in Yucatán). But ... it was because they had an 80-yo lady making it in the kitchen, who really knew how to do it right.

I appreciate the comments made by people earlier, about how the "CalMex" food reflects the greater amount of immigration from the west coast of Mexico. My best friend, who is from northern Mexico, has commented on that. Also, on how the food in New Mexico reminds him more of the food in Chihuahua. (He's from Coahuila, but lived in Sonora, Chihuahua, and Mexico City.) I understand that the chimichanga thing is more of a northern/Pacific coast part of Mexico. I guess like the fish-taco thing. Fajitas/Arracheras are more of a NE Mexico thing. I'm still learning how to interpret the cuisine, but it seems to me that the green chile thing in New Mexico is distinct from both Tex-Mex and Cal-Mex, but I'm not sure why that is.

One think I don't like about so much Tex-Mex (and also some Indian food in Houston) is the over-use of cumin (comino). I'm not sure yet how to differentiate the more local versions of Mexican food here in Houston vs. those in LA. However, I don't think its useful to compare chain-restaurant versions, of which there are plenty, even those that mainly cater to Spanish-speaking clientele.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City