Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the brightest future?
Toronto 149 56.23%
Boston 61 23.02%
Philly 55 20.75%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 02:02 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
If current projects proceed as planned, absolutely. Toronto is in the process of building Line 5 in its subway network. Line 5 (Eglinton Crosstown) is a hybrid of subway and LRT: 10 km of the line will be completely underground like conventional subway, the other 9 km above ground. This is to ensure that transit funding is spent in the most efficient way possible while benefiting the maximum number of people: portions built underground like conventional subway for high density areas and above ground for lower density areas. The right of way exists even for the above ground portions so these can be turned into elevated rails in the future if the density warrants it. As of now, all underground excavation for Line 5 is complete and station construction has begun on 70% of the 24 stations (I live near the Line 5 construction sites with daily construction chaos, but everyone understands and is biding their time for the grand opening and a massive expansion of rapid transit infrastructure in the next 3 years).

Starting this year until 2022, the City of Toronto proper will be seeing several subway openings:

1. The 8 km Spadina Line 1 Subway Extension - service opening in November 2017, construction nearing completion.
2. The 19 km (24 stations) Subway/LRT Line 5 - service opening August 2020 - January 2021, under construction.
3. The 11 km Finch West LRT - service opening in 2020, under construction.
4. The 45 km SmartTrack (16 stations), urban/suburban express rail - service opening 2022, fully funded and under planning and design.

In the Greater Toronto Area:

1. The 19 km (19 stations) Kitchener-Waterloo LRT - service opening March-June 2017.
2. The 20 km Hurontario LRT - service opening in 2020, under construction.
3. Hamilton LRT Phase 1 and 2 - fully funded, under planning and design.

Keep in mind all of the above subway/LRT projects have been fully approved, funded, and are currently under construction or design phase.
Finally a thread and Poll Toronto wins. It's been craved for some time. Since Canadian cities and especially Toronto began getting pitted vs. American cities on C-D more. The wealth involved in having more then one subway line under construction is awesome. Especially much was bogged down not too long ago. This Approval level is usually something seen in Asian cities.

Time will tell if the world gives Toronto the level of respect and acclaim it craves. It does have more in Asia and probably seeing more in Europe. Maybe Toronto can create or re-create itself as a Dubai and playground to the world's super-wealthy? Few if any American cities not named NYC will ever do that.

As Canada can place Toronto as virtual its Capital city in importance especially economically (Ottawa yes is the Technical Capital) but nothing like a DC or London. But in Toronto is Canada's DC metro NYC level importance to the Nation. With NO real 2nd city as it seems to see it? But Toronto craves that London level. TOTALLY International with world investment and total mass transit oriented. I'm not sure if Toronto sees itself growing more into a NYC, London or Hong Kong?

Perhaps it will become a Fully a Competing city with NYC, London and Hong Kong on the World scene? Seems that will be the goal if not already. Time will tell. NYC can definitely use a overhaul and added lines it hopes to build. But cost there is a couple times more then even a London to build. Time will tell. Americans in general. Applaud any cities advancements. But at times Torontonians seem to go after Chicago as NOW the Superior city and true 3rd or 4th city in North America. With NYC, Mexico City, LA and Toronto. Replacing Chicago.

But C-D did not see that time really came. Chicago was able to renew its core and Much of its north side in Gentrification still ongoing in its oldest neighborhoods. But unfortunately not the whole city. Corporate America never abandoned its Core. Though manufacturing as in most of the US was greatly affected.

Now still in a era of the Southern and Pacific Northwest US gaining populations from the Midwest and Northeastern US. It is kind of a migration in reverse as was once the other way after WW2. Toronto was probable inferior to Ottawa in Ontario then?

But it seems Canada as a whole sees its coming of age has come. Chicago first -----> then to the WORLD to take more notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 02:27 PM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Finally a thread and Poll Toronto wins. It's been craved for some time. Since Canadian cities and especially Toronto began getting pitted vs. American cities on C-D more. The wealth involved in having more then one subway line under construction is awesome. Especially much was bogged down not too long ago. This Approval level is usually something seen in Asian cities.

Time will tell if the world gives Toronto the level of respect and acclaim it craves. It does have more in Asia and probably seeing more in Europe. Maybe Toronto can create or re-create itself as a Dubai and playground to the world's super-wealthy? Few if any American cities not named NYC will ever do that.

As Canada can place Toronto as virtual its Capital city in importance especially economically (Ottawa yes is the Technical Capital) but nothing like a DC or London. But in Toronto is Canada's DC metro NYC level importance to the Nation. With NO real 2nd city as it seems to see it? But Toronto craves that London level. TOTALLY International with world investment and total mass transit oriented. I'm not sure if Toronto sees itself growing more into a NYC, London or Hong Kong?

Perhaps it will become a Fully a Competing city with NYC, London and Hong Kong on the World scene? Seems that will be the goal if not already. Time will tell. NYC can definitely use a overhaul and added lines it hopes to build. But cost there is a couple times more then even a London to build. Time will tell. Americans in general. Applaud any cities advancements. But at times Torontonians seem to go after Chicago as NOW the Superior city and true 3rd or 4th city in North America. With NYC, Mexico City, LA and Toronto. Replacing Chicago.

But C-D did not see that time really came. Chicago was able to renew its core and Much of its north side in Gentrification still ongoing in its oldest neighborhoods. But unfortunately not the whole city. Corporate America never abandoned its Core. Though manufacturing as in most of the US was greatly affected.

Now still in a era of the Southern and Pacific Northwest US gaining populations from the Midwest and Northeastern US. It is kind of a migration in reverse as was once the other way after WW2. Toronto was probable inferior to Ottawa in Ontario then?

But it seems Canada as a whole sees its coming of age has come. Chicago first -----> then to the WORLD to take more notice.
Holy cow.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:35 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,696 times
Quote:

Toronto will never compete with the likes of NYC,London,Paris etc until it gets an economy that can keep up with those.That is really the only think ts lacking.A good economy is what Houston has and Toronto can barely hold a candle to that.Even if it is overall a much better city.

Also Toronto lacks charm of those cities.Its a nice city that anyone can enjoy but charm endears people to a city that they rememember and want to come back to.
I get why Quebues motto is "je me souvenirs"

Quote:
Maybe Toronto can create or re-create itself as a Dubai and playground to the world's super-wealthy? Few if any American cities not named NYC will ever do that.

Are you kidding me?For one thing Toronto has terrible weather.Dubai has sun and beaches year round.
What do you mean" few American cities not named NYC?"
Miami
San Diego
Honolulu
Los Angeles
Salt-Late City Provo
Boise
Vail
all cater super wealthy.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:18 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,169,001 times
Quote:

Wow, this post maybe takes the cake. Toronto is nice, but some posters are unable to accept that Canada is just less desirable than the U.S. and considerably less affluent. Also in the midst of a massive housing bubble, but I'll leave that discussion topic for Manitopia. Since when is Mexico city superior to anywhere in the U.S.?

As some people here don't seem to understand, migration patterns change. Yes, Americans have been moving south and west for some time, but just like anything, nothing lasts forever. Economic changes, lifestyle changes, and exorbitant costs of living will drive people away from places seeing tremendous gains today. Who would have though New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, Cleveland, Detroit, or anywhere else in the northern portion of the eastern U.S. would experience rapid population decline in their central areas and widespread economic stagnation in the early 20th century? No one.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Wow, this post maybe takes the cake. Toronto is nice, but some posters are unable to accept that Canada is just less desirable than the U.S. and considerably less affluent. Also in the midst of a massive housing bubble, but I'll leave that discussion topic for Manitopia. Since when is Mexico city superior to anywhere in the U.S.?

As some people here don't seem to understand, migration patterns change. Yes, Americans have been moving south and west for some time, but just like anything, nothing lasts forever. Economic changes, lifestyle changes, and exorbitant costs of living will drive people away from places seeing tremendous gains today. Who would have though New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, Cleveland, Detroit, or anywhere else in the northern portion of the eastern U.S. would experience rapid population decline in their central areas and widespread economic stagnation in the early 20th century? No one.
Could this be whats going on in Toronto?

Old 01-17-2017, 03:26 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,172,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
Toronto will never compete with the likes of NYC,London,Paris etc until it gets an economy that can keep up with those. That is really the only think ts lacking. A good economy is what Houston has and Toronto can barely hold a candle to that. Even if it is overall a much better city.
Right. Money money money.

Toronto's economy can't hold a candle to Houston's? I guess being the premier financial and cultural capital of a first world G8 country with the highest human development indicators doesn't mean much. And don't tell me you are actually gullible enough to compare a city's economic well-being purely based on aggregate GDP - it's been explained time and again how flawed GDP figures can be for a city.

Quote:
Also Toronto lacks charm of those cities. Its a nice city that anyone can enjoy but charm endears people to a city that they rememember and want to come back to.
Wait what? Quebec's motto is Je me souviens because it makes people remember them and want to come back for more? Interesting interpretation. Your complete disregard for Canadian and French Canadian history is staggering.

But wait, how did Houston come into a discussion on the future of Philly, Boston, and Toronto and specifically public transit development between the 3 cities? How did Quebec become part of this conversation?

Lastly, I must admit that it's incredibly refreshing to read such a blatantly uninformed post. Was originally hoping for some insightful discussions on public transit development in Toronto, Boston, and Philly, but once again, the whole narrative is hijacked into another "I have more charm than you" or "XYZ city has no hope of becoming ABC ever" or "I have more GDP blah blah than you" d*** measuring kind of discourse.

Last edited by bostonkid123; 01-17-2017 at 03:45 PM..

Old 01-17-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Right. Money money money.

Toronto's economy can't hold a candle to Houston's? I guess being the premier financial and cultural capital a first world G8 country with the highest human development indicators doesn't mean much. And don't tell me you are actually gullible enough to compare a city's economic well-being purely based on aggregate GDP - it's been explained time and again how flawed GDP figures can be for a city.

Wait what? Quebec's motto is Je me souviens because it makes people remember them and want to come back for more? Incredible. Your complete disregard for Canadian and French Canadian history is staggering.

I guess that's also why Baltimore's official motto is "Charm City" because it's just so irresistibly charming a city.

I must admit that it's incredibly refreshing to read such a blatantly uninformed. Haven't bumped into one of these in a while on C-D.
Its been proven that even with Toronto Golden Horseshoe that its GDP is still trailing or barely instep when such areas are taken into consideration.

Your complete ridiculous assumptions of what was said versus what I actually said is a part of your own delusions.

I believe I actually said the economy is the one component that trails other great cities of the world.Unlike Houston which has a far inferior city,it does have an economy versus Toronto which has everything it needs to be in that upper tier with the exception of economy of those cities.
Yes Charm matters.The first thing you think of when you think of the worlds great cities is CHARM.Paris,NYC,Geneva,Hong Kong,Rome,London etc.

How that all is not truth and is somehow an insult is beyond me.

You have been shut down so many time with your false "stories: of Toronto so many times its not even funny but pitiful.
No amount of criticism can be made of Toronto.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:09 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post

As some people here don't seem to understand, migration patterns change. Yes, Americans have been moving south and west for some time, but just like anything, nothing lasts forever. Economic changes, lifestyle changes, and exorbitant costs of living will drive people away from places seeing tremendous gains today.

**** Who would have though New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, Cleveland, Detroit, or anywhere else in the northern portion of the eastern U.S. would experience rapid population decline in their central areas and widespread economic stagnation in the early 20th century? No one.
Well apparently those in the early 20th century didn't see the Great Depression coming either. We living today, surely know in the US expect the unexpected. I when much younger did not expect the US hitting double-digit inflation and interest rates would have it drop in to near 2%? Once that did I knew "never say never" and "expect the unexpected in the USA. Going from President Obama to almost a President Trump PROVES IT TOO.

I think my long post was taken as far more being positive on Toronto then I intended? I merely tried not to go too negative in its boasterism and begging to be recognized as a Top World Power city. I merely said it's aim is to take on a NYC and London while already proclaiming virtually leaving Chicago behind? Something I disagree with too. I defend Chicago in most posts. It is a key city others like to go after. After all it is my favorite Big city that apparently ----> what Quebues motto is "je me souvenirs" has Chicago be for me.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:33 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,044 times
Did this poll get hacked?

How is the biggest of the 3 metroes located on the Atlantic Coast getting clubbed by an area in the frozen hinterland?

Old 01-17-2017, 04:41 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,166 times
Quote:
Toronto will never compete with the likes of NYC,London,Paris etc until it gets an economy that can keep up with those.That is really the only think ts lacking.A good economy is what Houston has and Toronto can barely hold a candle to that.Even if it is overall a much better city.

Also Toronto lacks charm of those cities.Its a nice city that anyone can enjoy but charm endears people to a city that they rememember and want to come back to.

Are you kidding me?For one thing Toronto has terrible weather.Dubai has sun and beaches year round.
What do you mean" few American cities not named NYC?"
Miami
San Diego
Honolulu
Los Angeles
Salt-Late City Provo
Boise
Vail
all cater super wealthy.
I'd also like to add Vegas to the list of playgrounds for super wealthy people. And maybe SF too

But Boise and Salt Lake City? Really? I'm not disputing those, I just didn't realize they catered to wealthy people. I also don't really know much about those cities at all in the first place tho .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City