Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the brightest future?
Toronto 149 56.23%
Boston 61 23.02%
Philly 55 20.75%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 02:54 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
Actually I forgot to go back and add that while Toronto may have banks,Boston is bigg in business consulting but I wrote what I responded too instead.
You are the LAST one to talk about inaccurate advertising.
Feel free to point out any part of my previous posts about Toronto that are factually inaccurate. Always open to correction if anything I said or third party sources I cited are factually inaccurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 03:22 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,241,768 times
Oy vey, just because some other city might have institutions that are considered more "prestigious" than their Toronto counterparts doesn't mean the ones that are located in Toronto aren't prestigious in their own right.

I was responding to a post that basically said that Toronto didn't have anything about it that could be considered prestigious, which is of course nonsense, so I listed some of the things that bring Toronto a sense of prestige -- mainly in the Canadian context. Now let's not use that word again in this thread, ok?

Old 01-20-2017, 03:50 PM

415 posts, read 560,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
What's so funny about Toronto being included? It's currently blowing away most US cities it's size
There are now only two US cities larger than Toronto.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:02 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,429,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Oy vey, just because some other city might have institutions that are considered more "prestigious" than their Toronto counterparts doesn't mean the ones that are located in Toronto aren't prestigious in their own right.

I was responding to a post that basically said that Toronto didn't have anything about it that could be considered prestigious, which is of course nonsense, so I listed some of the things that bring Toronto a sense of prestige -- mainly in the Canadian context. Now let's not use that word again in this thread, ok?
I agree but that was not clear to me that was your intent to say.

But the other poster was saying U of T as if that alone was enough when Boston and Philly have several top world ranked schools.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:17 PM

1,122 posts, read 925,690 times
i was in Philly last week for the first time in a few months. As someone who has worked off and on in the city going on 20 years, all i can say overall, is; Wow! Philadelphia has really turned a corner. Still lots of challenges ahead, but it's great to see this kind of urban renaissance in another city not called New York. .... Reading Terminal Market looking better than ever, filled to the rafters with people.... South Street, Chestnut, Walnut Streets really filling in with nice shops, high end retail and street activation all the way to the Schuylkill. the transformation of the neighborhood near 30th street is remarkable. All the cities with no big train station, (deduct 50 points).... crap history (deduct 200 points), etc, etc, etc... Didn't get a chance to see University City, hopefully next time.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:36 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Lol exactly. Illinois and Pennsylvania independently are almost half the size of Canada.
True.

So is Ontario.

Toronto is in Ontario (just in case some of you don't know)

Ontario population is just under 14 million.

Slightly more than either Illinois and Pennsylvania.

If Ontario was a US state it would be ranked 5th in population....

1. California
2. Texas
3. New York
4. Florida
5. Ontario

Old 01-20-2017, 05:41 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,241,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
True.

So is Ontario.

Toronto is in Ontario (just in case some of you don't know)

Ontario population is just under 14 million.

Slightly more than either Illinois and Pennsylvania.

If Ontario was a US state it would be ranked 5th in population....

1. California
2. Texas
3. New York
4. Florida
5. Ontario
Yep, although Ontario is over 14 million now, and grew by 209,000 people from 2015 to 2016.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:27 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
F1/Indycar are basically airplanes that drive on asphalt. in F1, you usually have the winner running >too many seconds ahead of the winner. And before you say it, only a few, very gifted open wheel drivers have ever had any success in Nascar. You should also get to go home after a hard day at the track.

The best racing is the GT class (Ferrari F-12's etc, Porsche GT2's etc) and those insane La Mans/Daytona prototypes they've been racing since the '60s in the long endurance races.
This may be your personal preference but worldwide F1 is regarded as the top code.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:28 AM

1,122 posts, read 925,690 times
i drive a car that goes 196mph.
it's a GT car.
if i could afford to drive a street legal, prototype, i'd drive it.
at least you can say it can be driven on a road with enough storage to fit another human person.
how many open wheel automobiles are out on the roads since like, 1945?
you don't see them because they have almost no practical application in the real world. worse still, open wheel race cars are widow makers.
prototypes running La Mans compare favorably to F1 speeds, and don't kill the drivers with such absurd regularity.
here's what amounts to the closest thing you can drive to a La Mans prototype on the street is a street legal Zonda;

this is the non-street legal R version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL2B_wN4XW0

Old 01-23-2017, 04:41 PM

233 posts, read 368,959 times
Yep, although Ontario is over 14 million now, and grew by 209,000 people from 2015 to 2016.

^^^
Interesting, Ontario has almost the same population as New England, few hundred thousand smaller I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City