Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 09:52 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,148 times

Advertisements

I have been to all those cities, except Charolette. If you want to maintain the San Diego vibe, then you probably have to stay in the western United States. The East half is just different, even in the beach/coastal areas. I would stick with the Phoenix area or Austin. For your job offers, they should be offering you the most to live in Austin as COL has gone up a lot recently there. COL in the other 3 cities is probably similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 09:53 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
A Pew Research poll has San Diego and Tampa Bay tied: Most Like It Hot | Pew Research Center

But then again I find most people to be ignorant of San Diego's weather, especially if they live east of the Mississippi. They imagine it hot and dry for the summer. San Diego's coolness, even in Summer months, can take people by surprise either in a positive way [this is so comfortable] or negative way. Tampa Bay has more 'traditional' weather and nicer beaches than San Diego.
That's on the list for people who like it hotter. San Diego is also on the list for people who like cooler weather. So clearly, according to your link, San Diego's climate appeals to a wider range of people than Tampa's.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:58 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
What is the San Diego vibe, exactly? To me...that would mean perfect weather, beaches, and a big city although not quite the size of a global one. And neither Austin, Tampa, Charlotte, nor Phoenix can provide those things.
I think it's in the people, I know the vibe he is referring to. People on the west coast are different. I travel around the US quite a bit and there is a west coast vibe, midwest and east coast.

Here is an example... I can go to business meetings in Phoenix, Denver or California in a polo and khakis. East coast, your expected to be in a suite and tie.

The only exception to the rule is Seattle, people there are uptight and not as friendly.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Greater Tampa Bay is not just Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater. Add Bradenton/Sarasota, all suburbs into Pasco country, Plant City/Lakeland. If you look on the map, all these areas are connected, continuous residential development. That's the 4.3 mil people, with a projection of 4.5 mil for 2017.

Look up what is says in Wiki under Tampa. I don' say that out of the blue..I just relay what I see.
Greater San Diego - Tijuana is 4.9 million.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:06 AM

699 posts, read 610,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That's on the list for people who like it hotter. San Diego is also on the list for people who like cooler weather. So clearly, according to your link, San Diego's climate appeals to a wider range of people than Tampa's.
Yes, my bad. I didn't pay attention to the "Cold List".

The difference is a 14 point spread in San Diego's favor (36% vs 22% on the Cold List). If we combine lists, and adjust for relative size (57% prefer hotter, 29% prefer colder, so there are more people on the hot list) we get

31% for Tampa and 35% for San Diego, not a huge difference anyway.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:21 AM

8,624 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Greater Tampa Bay is not just Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater. Add Bradenton/Sarasota, all suburbs into Pasco country, Plant City/Lakeland. If you look on the map, all these areas are connected, continuous residential development. That's the 4.3 mil people, with a projection of 4.5 mil for 2017.

Look up what is says in Wiki under Tampa. I don' say that out of the blue..I just relay what I see.
I guess just about any metro can "grow" in population if you add any population an hour outside of the core of the metro.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:23 AM

699 posts, read 610,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I guess just about any metro can "grow" in population if you add any population an hour outside of the core of the metro.
I don't know why you are arguing this. MSA is a statistical figure based on commuter patterns defined by the government. Both MSA and urban area have a population of 4.3 million for Tampa Bay: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_Bay_Area

Old 12-17-2015, 10:32 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Greater San Diego - Tijuana is 4.9 million.
hahaha Tijuana is in Mexico. Good laugh though. Thanks.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
hahaha Tijuana is in Mexico. Good laugh though. Thanks.
So? Tijuana is part of a continuous metropolitan area with SD, thousands of people cross the border daily to work in San Diego.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego%E2%80%93Tijuana

Old 12-17-2015, 10:42 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
If there's continuous development (within the US), then yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City