Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was wiser?
NY 21 55.26%
LA 13 34.21%
Neither 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 11:56 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,768,479 times

Advertisements

Are we really debating who was right or wrong? What happened to better safe than sorry?

Like others have said, when a mass shooting happens and a new threat (legit or not) is seen within the same month, do you expect people to just shrug it off and possibly put loads of children in jeopardy just because of a little doubt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 12:25 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,740,692 times
Ok I just read the e-mail, ehh LA may have overreacted lol.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:32 PM

4,442 posts, read 5,365,877 times
Bomb threat at a local San Antonio high school today and they all went to school...

Old 12-17-2015, 01:40 AM

317 posts, read 379,434 times
You can't be serious? We even make it a competition in this place about this type of stuff now?

Then again who am I kidding? This forum turns a blind eye to obvious trolls and lets them reach over 25K posts with much worse posting and mentality, so I guess not much should surprise me here anymore.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:37 AM

988 posts, read 685,392 times
Most people accept a little risk in almost everything we do. If not, we wouldn't drive on the highway, move to Oklahoma (tornadoes), etc. The calculation is, "Something bad might happen, but it's not likely. I can live with that."

A public safety manager sometimes will not accept any risk at all, because whatever happens will be blamed on them. This might seem sensible and in the public interest, but sometimes is not. It can border on one of us saying, "I refuse to turn on my computer this morning, because there is a risk than an electrical fire will result. It might be a very small risk, but I will not accept any risk at all, no matter how small, period."

When a similar recent event happened that is unrelated to the event you are worried about has nothing to do with it, unless you buy into the "copycat" theory. Where's the data to support that idea? I've been hearing it all my life, in a variety of contexts. Heaven's Gate happens, then it's, "Oh, no! It's happening again!" for the next several months.

EDIT: I didn't want this to come of as harsh to the school system in L.A. If it sounds that way, I'm sorry. I mean, it is a tremendous responsibility that they have, and if I were in the position of making the decsion myself, I might have done the same thing. I just want to appeal to reason, a little bit, and data, instead of the "absolutely no risk" mentality. You can't live that way all the time. You just can't.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:01 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,997,331 times
Sickens me to my stomach to see people doing stupid things like this only to cause inconvenience to others. Those poor kids, they'll likely have to make up that day at some other point. Just completely throws the entire day scheduling into distraught for some families.

Catch those scoundrels, sue them, and put them in ADX Florence or whatever.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:09 PM

30,372 posts, read 23,840,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMBYS IN SPACE View Post
Interesting case study. It was the same threatening email with a few minor details changed. More details in the article below:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/16/us...reat.html?_r=0
How about they both acted appropriately. They both made decisions based on what they read, what they felt was right - one stating not to "over react", the other remembering 14 people who were recently gunned down by idiots.

The email came from Frankfurt, from the same person, (allegedly), and the media concentrates on some weird one upmanship between the two coasts like it's some football game instead of wondering why the hell two emails were sent to these districts, from the same place, allegedly the same person?

Who cares if words were misspelled...I want to know why the media isn't asking why school districts are being tested? Because that's what this feels like to me - a big ol' fake threat just to see how they would react, one one each side of the country.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:13 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,453,337 times
LA overreacted, but NY has also overreacted on much smaller matters before...so what's the difference.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:15 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,678,460 times
L.A didnt overreact when Paris was just attacked a few weeks earlier,L.A like Paris & New York are very important global cities of the world & any little threat should be taken very seriously !!!

There's always bomb threats at the LAX airport & most of the time it's a false alert but what if the threat was real ? N.y officials would be in so much hot water !!!

California law officers are probably the most strict officials in the country,Decades ago there was big gun fight called the battle of L.A that still to this day is above top secret but clearly was an attack on American soil that was covered up due to whatever it was having been untouched. Cities like Chicago,New York, D.c,San Francisco, L.A,Atlanta, all play a big part in the economy so everything has to be taken serious in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City