Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Westchester is more similar to
Long Island 2 6.25%
Connecticut (Fairfield) 30 93.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 10:23 AM

2,253 posts, read 3,719,580 times

Advertisements

Discuss urban form, politics, economy, geography, demographics, whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 10:45 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,147,608 times
I definitely see it as more similar to Fairfield County. First off, the obvious: They border each other, while to get to Long Island (by which I assume we're talking about Nassau and Suffolk) you have to pass through the Bronx and Queens. Despite that, oddly enough, I think of the topography of FFC as closer to Long Island's pancake flatness than Westchester's hilliness (though both FFC and Westchester have flat and hilly parts, the most densely populated part of FFC is flatter).

Long Island -- Nassau, at least, and I think Nassau is the better analogue here -- is a bunch of continuous sprawl (and I mean that in a loving way!), particularly once you get off the North Shore. Westchester and FFC both have town centers and get noticeably less dense, even almost rural, as you move away from them. Look at the areas around train stations in all three areas. Drive down Sunrise Highway on Long Island, next to the elevated train tracks, and the density never stops. In Westchester and FFC, you can have a village feel around train stations that peters out, sometimes quickly.

Both Westchester and FFC also have cities (Stamford, White Plains) of the type Long Island does not, with business districts featuring clusters of legitimate high rises, and distinct, diverse neighborhoods. Nassau County only has two officially designated cities, Glen Cove and Long Beach, neither of which look like what people imagine when they think of a city. (Long Beach, in fact, may lose its city status soon because it no longer has an operational hospital, a New York State requirement for cities.) Suffolk County doesn't have any cities, I believe.

Westchester, FFC and the North Shore of Long Island all have a more well-heeled, WASP sort of vibe as far as the population goes. But once you get off the North Shore, Long Island becomes generally much more ethnic and nouveau riche.

Last edited by boulevardofdef; 12-31-2015 at 11:23 AM..

Old 12-31-2015, 11:38 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I definitely see it as more similar to Fairfield County. First off, the obvious: They border each other, while to get to Long Island (by which I assume we're talking about Nassau and Suffolk) you have to pass through the Bronx and Queens. Despite that, oddly enough, I think of the topography of FFC as closer to Long Island's pancake flatness than Westchester's hilliness (though both FFC and Westchester have flat and hilly parts, the most densely populated part of FFC is flatter).

Long Island -- Nassau, at least, and I think Nassau is the better analogue here -- is a bunch of continuous sprawl (and I mean that in a loving way!), particularly once you get off the North Shore. Westchester and FFC both have town centers and get noticeably less dense, even almost rural, as you move away from them. Look at the areas around train stations in all three areas. Drive down Sunrise Highway on Long Island, next to the elevated train tracks, and the density never stops. In Westchester and FFC, you can have a village feel around train stations that peters out, sometimes quickly.

Both Westchester and FFC also have cities (Stamford, White Plains) of the type Long Island does not, with business districts featuring clusters of legitimate high rises, and distinct, diverse neighborhoods. Nassau County only has two officially designated cities, Glen Cove and Long Beach, neither of which look like what people imagine when they think of a city. (Long Beach, in fact, may lose its city status soon because it no longer has an operational hospital, a New York State requirement for cities.) Suffolk County doesn't have any cities, I believe.

Westchester, FFC and the North Shore of Long Island all have a more well-heeled, WASP sort of vibe as far as the population goes. But once you get off the North Shore, Long Island becomes generally much more ethnic and nouveau riche.
Is that true about a hospital and an operational hospital? I'm only asking because the smallest city in the state, Sherrill, doesn't have a hospital.

Bridgeport is in Fairfield County and is the biggest city in CT. Mount Vernon in Westchester County is the 9th biggest city in NY State and is predominately Black(63.4%). Long Island also predominately and highly Black and Hispanic communities as well. I don't think Fairfield County has that outside of the cities and select suburban neighborhoods.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:39 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,329,498 times
Definitely Fairfield. Westchester is basically a more WASP Fairfield County. Both have the hills, the LI Sound, the cute towns, the Metro North, the high prices and yuppie feel.

But the North Shore of LI is pretty similar to Westchester/Fairfield. It's hilly, rich, and woodsy.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't think Fairfield County has that outside of the cities and select suburban neighborhoods.
Fairfield has a black population in Bridgeport, Norwalk and Stamford. Probably a bit less than Westchester, but not a huge difference.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:50 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Fairfield has a black population in Bridgeport, Norwalk and Stamford. Probably a bit less than Westchester, but not a huge difference.
Yeah, outside of Yonkers, Mount Vernon, White Plains, New Rochelle, Peekskill, Ossining and select suburban communities(Fairview CDP/North White Plains, Elmsford, etc), there probably isn't much of a difference.

Stratford, a suburb of Bridgeport, has a pretty decent Black population as well. Same with Danbury, to a lesser degree.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:54 AM

Oops, and I meant to previously write "Westchester is a more Jewish version of Fairfield County", not WASP.

I would guess Westchester is around 30% Jewish. Fairfield probably less than 10% Jewish.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:14 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,719,580 times
I don't think any counties except Rockland are 30%+ Jewish.

Westchester has 136,000 Jews (14%). Scarsdale is probably about 40% Jewish.

http://www.jewishdatabank.org/studie...fm?FileID=3060

I can't find any community study for Fairfield, Wikipedia puts the Jewish population at 47,000 (5%). I was also able to find a 2008 estimate for Greenwich, of 7,000 (11%).

Old 12-31-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
I don't think any counties except Rockland are 30%+ Jewish.
Westchester has 136,000 Jews (14%).
Wow, that's all? I'm really surprised. Seems far more Jewish than that. Lots of majority Jewish school districts, like Rye Brook and Scarsdale, and plenty of Jewish private schools.

But maybe it makes sense. The county isn't super-white (around 50-55% overall), and there are large Italian, Irish and WASP enclaves too, so maybe 14-15% makes sense. Northern Westchester probably has few Jews, and urban Westchester (Yonkers-Mt. Vernon) has few. That's half the county right there.

Jews are very common in the affluent towns, but not all. Bronxville and Pelham have few Jews. Rye and Larchmont have some, but overall feel still leans WASP. The Rivertowns have some, but I doubt any are more than 15-20% Jewish, if that. Scarsdale is VERY Jewish though, as is Armonk. Chappaqua, Rye Brook, Pound Ridge, Purchase, are quite Jewish.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:27 PM

14,047 posts, read 13,923,200 times
Yonkers and Mount Vernon crime rate is less than Bridgeport although it next to The Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City